Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to catch salt water kings without downrigger?

Default How to catch salt water kings without downrigger?

I'm curious on ways to catch saltwater kings without using downriggers. Should I try locating bait fish and mooching? I've had luck trolling for silvers with divers that can get down 30' to 50', but I'm assuming this isn't deep enough. Most of my early season fishing will be out of Seward and Whittier. No plans to hit Homer until July. If anyone has a good method and a general location to try it I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

Default Why not...

... use banana sinkers in front of a flasher? I know plenty of folks who have success with that method trolling for silvers in K-Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... use banana sinkers in front of a flasher? I know plenty of folks who have success with that method trolling for silvers in K-Bay.
    I`ve hooked kings with this rig...and a shark too.

Default No downrigger?

I would say if you are going to try to fish Seward for early kings, you should find some way to troll. use a sinker release, cheapo downrigger, deep six...Something to get to where the fish are. Mooching or using a weight and a flasher in Seward will be way more of a crap shoot than keeping your baits in the right zone and covering some ground at the same time. Can you mooch Kings? Yes and I know of several people who have done well in the spring doing just that but it is the exception, not the rule. If you can afford the gas for your boat, you can afford a cheapo clamp on downrigger and a 6 pound weight.

Default AKCAPT is right.

You can buy some Cannon clamp-on downriggers, cannon balls and releases for relatively inexpensively. They work adequately, and will get you down to the fish... though not in style.

These are at Cabelas for about $75 each:

I've had the greatest luck dragging a whole herring rigged behind a deep-six diver in early spring. Whole herring behind a banana sinker is tried and true for spring kings in many villages near Juneau... then again, that's not exactly fishing out on the big water... protected rocky bays and coves with heavy tidal flow.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is my poor man's downrigger.

If you choose the diver option, these are the best money can buy.

http://www.oldsaltytackle.com/

Click on "PLANERS" near the top of the page.

I prefer the No. 4 planer with the 8 oz. ballast... they'll dive to 100+ ft. I have used these trolling for salmon in the open ocean, the Columbia River estuary (Buoy 10), Willapa Bay, Grays Harbor, and Neah Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

While other have commented on buying a cheap downrigger, heck if you paid thousands for the boat what is a few hundred on a quality scotty or cannon downrigger? After all, the good ones last decades and take lots of abuse. If you are going to even get one, spend the money and get one you will enjoy using for years.

There happen to be 2 for $150 on Craigslist right now. I picked up my Unitroll 4 electrics for $250 for the pair...list around $1,300 ea. Sometimes people don`t know what they have and if you pay attention you can clean up.

If you are fishing in cook inlet around Anchor point to Ninilchik, you dont need Down riggrers. I usually fish in 20' to 50' of water near shore. If the tide is running use more weight, as Kings are usually near the bottom. I like using flashers for Silvers but I have better luck without them for kings.
    Anyway thats what I do
    Good luck
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Thanks for the advice. I have an old set of downriggers that came with the boat, but have never used them. Suppose I should figure them out, buy the weights, clips, etc. and get fishing.

When is the best time to start prospecting for kings out of Seward? Maybe I should ask "when should a person start getting serious about heading down there".

Thanks

As soon as the weather gets stable I would go. My bay boat is now 24" deep after yet another 8" last night and the ocean boat is going through surgery or I`d be out there next week.

Default Halibut rod downriggers?

More in the interest of saving room in my small boat, I wonder if anyone has ever tried or considered using a hali' rod with perhaps a 4# weight or so as a downrigger? I tried the search function and was unable to zero in on this topic although I'm sure it's probably out there. Should I start a thread on this?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

If you have a heavy rod (halibut rod) you could use it like a down rigger with a big canon ball weight and down rigger release then hook up your salmon rod on the release. A down rigger would be better but I sure wouldn't let it stop me from fishing if I did not have one. A diver would work also depending on how deep you want to fish.

Mike

Default trolling

Well this has been an informative thread. That Mooching video is pretty cool but I never see any boats doing that. Just shore fishermen. Im heading out in the morning to probably put in another 4 - 5 rod hrs and come home empty. This time Im losing the flasher, and just dragging a herring behind a bannana weight in 25ft of water or less hugging the edge of drop offs. If there isn't a report from me on this thread by tomorrow then I was skunked again.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Well this has been an informative thread. That Mooching video is pretty cool but I never see any boats doing that. Just shore fishermen.
    This is how myself and 95% of the other guides in and around Craig (P.O.W. IS.) do it, very few charters in the area have downriggers on their boats.
    I spent 5 years at a resort that trolled with DR's and though its very effective, not many of my clients really liked it, the guide does everything, client sits there watching his/her rod, with mooching as Rob said, its hands on, the client actually feels like they caught the fish instead of just reeled in a DR hooked fish.

Default Mooching a King

Thx for the video. Neat idea using a paper towel holder and pipe insulation....the ShamWow and Ronco Pocket Fisherman TV guys would lick their chops to get ownership of that new product.

There is no end creativity in how fishermen solve the simplest problems. I was talking to someone about having to crank up a 24oz ball from the deep when halibut fishing and he relayed an idea he came across in Florida. Rather pull up a heavy weight from a 1000 or more feet and to allow for freedom to feel the line at depth Floridians came up with another simple idea. To get real deep in Florida, the guys were using 8" long, piece of PVC plastic pipe filled with cement (tape on the end, add dry cement, pour in a water, tape top) which they attached to their main line with a candy "Life Saver". Life Saver melts slow enough to get to bottom, weight drops off line presents a free floating bait, and the fisherman doesn't have the weight on the retrieve. I wonder about little pieces of cement filled pipe difting about on the bottom forever... but the Life Saver idea was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Thx for the video. Neat idea using a paper towel holder and pipe insulation....the ShamWow and Ronco Pocket Fisherman TV guys would lick their chops to get ownership of that new product.
    Ron Popeil (Ronco) has fished with us a few times, real nice guy and a good fisherman.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard motor mooching works well. You find a bait ball of herring, drop your herring on a mooching rig to just below the bait ball, then start your kicker and run through the bait ball, when your line has risen up to about 45 deg, cut power and let the rig fall back down through the bait ball and repeat. I buddy said it worked will with silvers, should work with kings.

You can also just jig with a crippled herring or similar jig around the edges of a bait ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast