Thread: winter/spring draw period clarification...

Question winter/spring draw period clarification...

Can someone please explain to me when I apply for what. I have read the regs cover to cover a few times, but there are a few BIG THINGS that are confusing me. Here's the scoop...

I am currently Nonresident status and will be until summer of 08. However, I will be living in AK starting summer of 07. As of right now, I will only be in AK for about one and a half years and I would like to hunt whatever I can starting in the fall of 07.

Here are my questions:
    Can I apply for a drawing permit hunt as a Non Resident?
    Are these the so called "coveted tags"?
    I don't understand what the difference is between the Spring Hunt Supplements and the Winter Hunt Supplements. Can someone tell me some specifics on these. I really haven't got the time periods thing figured out (when to apply for what species and what time of the year).

I just want to make sure I apply on time so that I don't miss out on next fall and winter hunting seasons. If I need to apply in November, I need to do some quick crash-course studying.

Oh yeah, I have called the ADF&G several times and I just cannot get ahold of them. It is probably because of the time difference and hours of operation (mine and theirs). If anyone has a name of a well educated official with a direct contact number, please pass that information along.

Thanks in advance. I know this is a touchy subject, I just want to take advantage of every hunt I can. If someone can give me the general time frames on the above, I will get to the nitty-gritty on my own. And I do understand that it is a lottery drawing and nothing is gaurenteed.

Thanks a bunch!
    Joshua

Default Drawings

You have to look at each specific drawing to see if a non-resident can apply for it. Some you can and some you can't. The winter drawing period is when you apply for sheep, goat, non-resident Kodiak Brown Bear, and I believe one moose hunt. The spring is for everything else. You can still hunt any of these species in open areas during the season or by Registration Permit. The best thing to do is to go to Fish and Game's web site. All the information is there, you just have to dig through it.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

Default 1 and a half years

You will technically not be a resident if you plan on living here for only a year and a half. TECHNICALLY. In the regs when it defines a resident it says someone who has been here a year with the intent to stay indefinatly. Be careful about that.

As far as the draw permits you just need to figure out what you want to appy for. It is not something someone can tell you what to apply for. It depends on areas you know or have access too, what you want, harvest reports, etc... I am working on picking out my goat areas I want to apply for and have been putting in many hours researching data on the different areas.

We have a Spring draw and a winter draw. If you look through the two on the F&G website you'll see that some animals you draw ofr go in on the Spring draw and some go in on the winter draw. The areas are vast , heck some of them would require you to fly into them. Theres lots of individual permits available for each species and you can only select three permits per species so you have to do your homework. The term "coveted" refers to the areas that have some of the best trophies with the hardest odds of drawing. Some of them have a 1-3% chance of drawing that is where the term coveted comes from. Should you draw one your odds of getting that particular animal are very good as they are tightly managed. Just for example if you draw one of the 2 available tags for Karluk Lake brown bear in the fall, you could easily see 50 bears in a 10 day period and some of them will be true monsters. The supplements are merely a description of the permits available and the areas they are in and they throw in some useful info like what your chances are of drawing. As a non-resident you would obviously be required to hire a guide for Brown bear, sheep and goat, and if your worried about the price of ammo check out some of their prices, you'll have a bunch of esplaining to do to the misses.Heres the ADF&G link to their supplements , with the winter one not available yet, later this month.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ts.supplements

Oh and you technically will not be allowed to draw for resident tags till the winter supplement of 08 if you move here in Aug of 07.

Josh - When early November rolls around I would be happy to get on the phone and walk you through the process. It's not horribly complicated if you have a few pointers, but you want to make sure you get it right. If you're interested, just shoot me a PM sometime between November 4th and the start of Dec. and I'll give you a # and time to call.

-Brian

Thumbs up Thanks fellas

Alright, my BIG questions have been answered. Thanks a ton.

I understand that I will not technically be a resident unless we intend on living there permanently. Hence why I stated "as of right now". With Coral's career, timelines are crucial and we WILL know what the future holds, but not until the spring/summer of 08. I am hoping for the best. And by the way, I must go by the "technicalities" of the law...just one of the perks of being hitched to someone in the field, not worth putting everything in jeobardy!

I am glad I asked when I did. I have been on ADGF site and it only made sense that I had to apply this fall, but wanted to be sure I had the ducks aligned. I have studied the gmu's and areas I would like to hunt, but will have to do some more work.

Brian-I will surely be giving you a call. I will pm ya when it comes time.
    Cub-concerning ammo prices, its not realy a big deal, she just needs to be given a hard time occassionally. I've done paid my dues (temporarily anyways) and she would never let a $50 box of ammo stand in the way of letting me do what I love to do! And Yes, I am the "lucky one"!

Thanks guys, you've been a great help.
    Joshua

Default Direct line to ADFG Hunting Info Center

Joshua, I was just teasing you about the ammo statement, I saw what glass you compared and picked for binos so I know $50 ammo isn't gonna slow you down.

Default Let me explain...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Joshua, I was just teasing you about the ammo statement, I saw what glass you compared and picked for binos so I know $50 ammo isn't gonna slow you down.
    Don't let those numbers fool ya cub. This boy here has yet to turn his furnace on, eats a consistant diet of oatmeal and PB & J, lives in the luxury of what most would call a shack, and walks anywhere within a reasonable distance(0-4 miles) for daily errands! Most explain their love for the outdoors a passion...mine is more of an obsession!

And Cub, you are welcome to drop by anytime. I'd be glad to give up my "lazyboy" recliner...so long as you don't mind sitting in collapsible camp chair!!
    Last edited by BucknRut; 10-19-2006 at 14:21.

Smile I got through!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Thanks Fullcurl, just got off the phone with Sandy and she was very patient with me and a great help. It turns out I had a pretty good understanding of the situation as it was. I learned that the reason I couldn't find any of the Winter/Spring Supplement species/times/areas is because they DO NOT LIST THEM until the first day of the drawing period, this winter's being November 1st.
    Joshua

I don't think you should put in for any sheep permits or anything else. If you get one you'll just have to leave your wife at home and spend days or weeks in the Alaska wilderness and get all your new gear wet and muddy. You might even get some blood on it which means you'll have to pack out lots of heavy meat and horns only to arrive at home tired and have to deal with the meat and all that wet muddy bloody gear and then have to tell your wife and all the friends "back home" how miserable it was.

Nope, I don't thing you should apply for any of 'em.......... save your money.....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I don't think you should put in for any sheep permits or anything else. If you get one you'll just have to leave your wife at home and spend days or weeks in the Alaska wilderness and get all your new gear wet and muddy. You might even get some blood on it which means you'll have to pack out lots of heavy meat and horns only to arrive at home tired and have to deal with the meat and all that wet muddy bloody gear and then have to tell your wife and all the friends "back home" how miserable it was.

Nope, I don't thing you should apply for any of 'em.......... save your money.....
    I sweat mud and blood...
    see ya on the hills..;-)

Joshua you are steps ahead of me, when I got here my first year I hunted with a $300 Savage 110 Blue/Synth 30-06 equipped with the supplied simmons 3-9x40 that it came with, cotton hunting clothes made by (Levis) and cotton flannel shirts, I had a high dollar pair of Bushnell binos that I think cost me like $49, a $60 tent from K-Mart and ate hot dogs for 8 days(had a pack of 60). On the up side I killed a 63" moose equipped with the above gear, so I am not sure how much better off I am today with all my high dollar gear. But you know how it goes, if you make money you spend it, the more you make, the more you spend! I was much hardier then , than I am now. I would have swam across rivers for big bull in those days with no regard for safety, today I am a little smarter and more experienced.

Default drawings

you get one you'll just have to leave your wife at home and spend days or weeks in the Alaska wilderness and get all your new gear wet and muddy.

Not to mention that in 2007 he's still a nonresident and will have to be out in the wet, mud and cold with a guide!

You can get all the info on line toward the end of the month. Caribou does taste good, if you come through anchorage on your way north I'll give you some to try.

A number of people have the .325 wsm but for ammo availability, .338 is better unless you reload. Only 1 1/2 years after residency is established? Not much time to hunt everything, that is if residence is really established. There is a call for lawyers in Alaska so Coral will be employed and you can hunt. And I'll send the polar bear pictures tomorrow. And how Alaskans get their salmon.

Joshua - Are you aware that if you win a sheep, goat, or brown bear tag that you'll have to hire a guide? If you're not interested in ponying up $10k, you might just want to wait for the spring drawing.

-Brian

It does not apply to me so I'm not 110% sure - more like 99.9%
    You will technically not be a resident if you plan on living here for only a year and a half. TECHNICALLY. In the regs when it defines a resident it says someone who has been here a year with the intent to stay indefinatly. Be careful about that.
    The intent to stay provision is in regard to the PFD and not hunting/fishing regulations.

--Mike