Thread: looking for a loader in fairbanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default looking for a loader in fairbanks

I don't have any reloading equipment, and with things the way they currently are looks to be abit before i do.

is there some one here n Fairbanks that is willing to teach a guy if i pay for materials?

i shoot my 300 win mag 180 and 200 gr. ruger mark II
    also need a good run of 243 win saveage and 270 browing a bolt win mag for the kids. i was out yesterday and could not find 243 or 270 i would like to get at least 100 rounds of each. in good hunting loads.

i am not in a real hurry as fall is a ways off yet but 60 bucks a box for 300 win is getting to high.

i really want to learn how to do it, and would like some experiance prior to investing in the equipment. the largest reason i have not i guess the fact that with five kids in the house space is limited and i just dont want powder laying around for them to get into....

thanks

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Reloading...

PM sent.

Jake

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Okay Jake has graciously offered to mentor me a bit. and get things rolling.. brass ans bullets are on the way... and now to order primers and powders.. i hate to use a guys stock, and then NOT be able to get more...

so for my self. ( Jake will fill me in on what to replace for him)

if i am going to order powder where do i start. i am reading lots of material ( perhaps thats the problem) but every one has a different powder for a different bullet in a different cal...

TO start... my 300 win mag is first up..

then the 270 win and the 243 win...

later the 338 win will get added

and eventually the 45/70

so for rifle powders.. is there ONE OR TWO? that would fit all of these? i am not looking for competition.. i just want stuff to fall over like it does with the factory ammo...

i am learning daily, so forgive my ignorance...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default podwer

I think a few guys that I work with may make a powder order, so I can get you in on that with my stuff. One of the reasons we are going to use some of my componants first is to help narrow the search down for you without making you buy 1lb containers and finding out they are not going to work. If my stuff doesn't there is no harm done. We'll look into it on Sunday when you come over. I'll also send you home with a realoding manual (homework).

Jake

Vince,

The powder world is too crowded (in books, I mean, not on these shelves). Each manufacturer makes the full line of powders targeted starting from shotguns and pistols to heavy magnum rifles. The difference besides the powder looks and structure is so called burn speed. This is not about bullet speed, this is how "fast" certain powder is in burning and producing pressure in the chamber. The fast powders are for shotguns and pistols, the slower ones are for rifles, and the slowest are for heavy magnums.

The powders of different producers are placed in the "burn chart" so their relative "fastness" can be figured out. Looking at these charts (http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html for one), two things are clear to me -
    1. there is a lot of redundancy in the powder lines from different manufactures
    2. some manufactures use clear nomenclature for their powders (VihtaVouri, Alliant for the rifle powders) and some not

At some early point in my reloading career I decided that Finland-made VV was (and is) a way too expensive and I will stick to Alliant rifle line since it is easy to remember - from RL7 (fast) - to RL25 (slowest). The second reason was (and, again, is) the Alliant powders are marked with bright labels of nice (to me) and clear design.

Never regretted of this unscientific choice.

As soon as you shrink the whole bunch of options to one powder vendor, it is time to look at your calibers and the vendor recommendations. All of them have their web-sites, so gOOgle for "Alliant powder" will find for you the site. Site navigation is more tricky, generally you are looking for Products or Data category and can find loading recipes there and vendor commendations. These are tested and secure recipes unlike some recipes from many other www-sources with which you are on your own risk (I am not saying all of them are dangerous, I am saying that pretty often these are "hot recipes" made by experienced reloaders, who approached these loads all way up with understanding what they are doing and with exercising pressure signs control and velocity monitoring)

So, for your calibers and bullets Alliant recommends the following

180 gr 300 WM - RL22 - I load it myself in 300 WM & 300 WSM, 1" groups from Tikka rifle
    200 gr 338 - RL19
    150 gr 270 Win - RL19 or RL 17

And I have no idea about 243, sorry. In the Alliant site it is all over the place from RL15 to RL22 without specific recommendations

SERGEIMA

Quote Originally Posted by sergeima View Post
    Vince,

The powder world is too crowded (in books, I mean, not on these shelves). Each manufacturer makes the full line of powders targeted starting from shotguns and pistols to heavy magnum rifles. The difference besides the powder looks and structure is so called burn speed. This is not about bullet speed, this is how "fast" certain powder is in burning and producing pressure in the chamber. The fast powders are for shotguns and pistols, the slower ones are for rifles, and the slowest are for heavy magnums.

The powders of different producers are placed in the "burn chart" so their relative "fastness" can be figured out. Looking at these charts (http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html for one), two things are clear to me -
    1. there is a lot of redundancy in the powder lines from different manufactures
    2. some manufactures use clear nomenclature for their powders (VihtaVouri, Alliant for the rifle powders) and some not

At some early point in my reloading career I decided that Finland-made VV was (and is) a way too expensive and I will stick to Alliant rifle line since it is easy to remember - from RL7 (fast) - to RL25 (slowest). The second reason was (and, again, is) the Alliant powders are marked with bright labels of nice (to me) and clear design.

Never regretted of this unscientific choice.

As soon as you shrink the whole bunch of options to one powder vendor, it is time to look at your calibers and the vendor recommendations. All of them have their web-sites, so gOOgle for "Alliant powder" will find for you the site. Site navigation is more tricky, generally you are looking for Products or Data category and can find loading recipes there and vendor commendations. These are tested and secure recipes unlike some recipes from many other www-sources with which you are on your own risk (I am not saying all of them are dangerous, I am saying that pretty often these are "hot recipes" made by experienced reloaders, who approached these loads all way up with understanding what they are doing and with exercising pressure signs control and velocity monitoring)

So, for your calibers and bullets Alliant recommends the following

180 gr 300 WM - RL22 - I load it myself in 300 WM & 300 WSM, 1" groups from Tikka rifle
    200 gr 338 - RL19
    150 gr 270 Win - RL19 or RL 17

And I have no idea about 243, sorry. In the Alliant site it is all over the place from RL15 to RL22 without specific recommendations

SERGEIMA
    Very good post and advice for the new to reloading!!

KISS ~ (Keep It Simple Stupid) at first is the gist of it. It’s too overwhelming at first but as you do it you are learning all the time. I have been reloading over 35 years and still learning all the time, to me that is part of the fun.

My advice for you would be just what SERGEIMA has said if these were “normal” times, but with the current trouble getting powder I will suggest a different approach. Just what you are doing . . . use the Forum to get advice from as many people as you can for what powder is best in all the guns you load for the job you want it for. Then pick the most popular powder and order more than you think you need, double it should be fine.

As time goes on you will see loads and powders others are using and experiment in the ways that interest you most.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona