Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Willow Ash Update 3/29/09

  1. #1
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Unhappy Willow Ash Update 3/29/09

    Willow got a light dusting of ash last night with a 1/2 of snow overnight! Temps in the 20's.
    Could of been worst!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  2. #2

    Default

    The ash levels are inconsistant. It pretty much hit all the area, but there are some areas that really got hit hard. On road system, it is evident, there are places with 1/8" of ash and then there are a few places, where it is well over a 1/4". It has really put a dampner on the spring riding conditions. Right now it is melting into a slurry, gooy, glue like substance, that coats everything. I will not be riding in it, but then again, I am not riding a free snowmachine, like the trail committee does.

    I would seriously advise others to consider what they want to get into and subject their machines to, before going out in it. Wicked stuff.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Unhappy Nothing is Free!

    These machines are not free and takes lots of maintence and time to clean, lube, and and change hyfax in condishions like this, where we still have signs and lath to get in! Never mind the late season tree cutting and signing for next year!!!And some people live out on the river systems and depend on some of these trails to get there last loads in for the spring and early summer! Some people don't realise the amount of volunteer hours devoted to keep the trails in good shape and keeping the public safe and informed.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  4. #4

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    These machines are not free and takes lots of maintence and time to clean, lube, and and change hyfax in condishions like this, where we still have signs and lath to get in! Never mind the late season tree cutting and signing for next year!!!And some people live out on the river systems and depend on some of these trails to get there last loads in for the spring and early summer! Some people don't realise the amount of volunteer hours devoted to keep the trails in good shape and keeping the public safe and informed.
    Were'nt ragging on you personally, hence the smily face.
    But all the Willowbillies I know, have more free time than money. And a snowmachine that costs nothing out of pocket, with an always full fuel tank is probably pretty appealing and a good bonus. Yep, for some that have to get out there, it is doable for awhile longer, but for the average recreational rider, looking for a fun ride, I would have to think it would be way better to head up Eureka way or beyond. The Susitna, Yentna, Sleeping Lady, Petersville and even around Cantwell have been trashed with the ash. Are you still grooming the trails or are the river folks pretty much doing the best they can with the trails that are existing.
    You mentioned tree cutting. Are you expanding any more trails? That would be a good thing. I would personally rather have more trails cut, than the existing ones groomed. There are thousands of miles of siesmic lines in your neck of the woods, that are just begging to get brushed out and opened up. It would extend the trail system greatly.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •