Thread: Sockeye Fly Hooks-Eye up or Down

Default Sockeye Fly Hooks-Eye up or Down

What are your opinions on hooks used for tying flies for sockeye fishing? I have seen and tied thousands of flies on both styles. Do you prefer eye up or eye down style hooks and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    What are your opinions on hooks used for tying flies for sockeye fishing? I have seen and tied thousands of flies on both styles. Do you prefer eye up or eye down style hooks and why?

It has never made a bit of difference to me.. I usually just do the eye down.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

whatever's cheaper
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

how about straight?

I don't think it really matters, but I really like tying on the classic black salmon irons, so I guess my preference is eye up. I just like the way they look. I found a deal on a bunch of English made hooks (wish I could remember the brand) in sizes 6 and 8 a while back that I use for most of my sockeye flies. Wicked sharp.

That said, I also really like the old Eagle Claw 1197 hooks (which can be tough to find anymore) with the eye down. They've worked great on reds too.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I listened to a "fishing professional" talk about eyes on hooks for Reds. He claimed that the weighted eyes on top would flip the fly over so that the fly went through the water with the barb up. He talked about how much tougher the upper part of the jaw on a Sockeye is than the lower part. He found that he lost fewer fish if he hooked them in the upper jaw (tougher for them to throw the hook). I haven't done the experiment myself, but it sounded logical. But then again I haven't had much trouble catching reds.