Thread: Spring trout fishing in the Valley

Default Spring trout fishing in the Valley

Looking to do some early trout fishing along the parks highway rivers. Any help on locations and time would be appreciated. THanks

Don't start fishing till late May or early June. That is for trolling anyway. Water temp dictates alot of things. If you do fish early use bait. They won't hit a spinner or moving lure if their life depended on it. When that first warm spell hits and those first bugs hatch, get after it. You won't regret it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Don't start fishing till late May or early June. That is for trolling anyway. Water temp dictates alot of things. If you do fish early use bait. They won't hit a spinner or moving lure if their life depended on it. When that first warm spell hits and those first bugs hatch, get after it. You won't regret it.
    I second that for trolling. But, if you troll a small spoon or lure on the top of the water column you will luck yourself into a few at finger. Don't expect fast action though.

The creeks though are a different story; just after things get flowing in the streams is a great time to break out the fly rod where it is legal to do so. There are many fine streams in the valley. I really appreciate Willow and Montana Creek. But, with that said, there are a lot of them that are pretty good. Many of the lakes are pretty good too right after break-up right next to the shore. I enjoy those first few days a lot! Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post

Uh, actually I found this to be the exact opposite....immediately after ice-out in the Valley (Talkeetna area lakes), I was having huge success trolling small spinners and black leaches behind my canoe! In fact, they were out-fishing bait on almost every occassion we were there!

Exclamation Read the Regs

Just a reminder to read the regulations before you head out. I have not seen this years yet, but that being said, I cannot remember a time when "all flowing waters" in the MatsSu Valley were not closed to fishing till June 15.
    Anybody can feel free to correct this info if they are more up to date than me.
    Nothing wrong with hitting those lakes though! Good luck.

Default This is a little different ...

When the ice has not quite gone out I have had real good luck fishing either single eggs and a bobber or a small spinner in the open water. Trout will swim around the edge and attack anything that looks like food. Done this at Keppler Bradley and Matanuska lakes and caught 20+ inch trout. The action only lasts about a week, but fun while it is there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Just a reminder to read the regulations before you head out. I have not seen this years yet, but that being said, I cannot remember a time when "all flowing waters" in the MatsSu Valley were not closed to fishing till June 15.
    You think they will be flowing by then? Gosh let's hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    true...but from the Willow north you're ok...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Early May can turn up good fishing on some clearwater streams north of Willow. Don't expect too many, but they'll be a great way to start the season!
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

I have had decent luck on the willow in may. The nice thing is no crowds. It is hit and miss. I have even caught a few grayling on the willow with a beadhead princess nymph. I catcha bow or two also but after a long winter like this one hitting the water on a day above 25 is gonna be nice
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Sheep, Goose, Willow, & Montana..

...are my favorites in May. I like to start out at daylight and fish the mouths of the streams, just past the confluences and the lower ends of all the streams. During this time of the year, I usually have good luck using a simple "steak and eggs" pattern with a bleached out flesh fly and a light colored 6mm bead, about an inch or two above. For me, anyways, a good day of fishing is 5 or 6 'bows on a good day, and 1 or 2 on a typical day. The creek levels are coming up, and there will be lots of carcasses from last fall reentering the water, not to mention the millions of last years eggs that will be swirling around, and lying on the bottom. Sculpin patterns also work well, but can be hit or miss. If you use spinning gear, a #3 mepps can be deadly. Remember to get rid of your treble hooks, and follow the regs, cause you probably will run into a trooper. Please take a picture and give 'em a nice release, as these fish, like all trout in SC Alaska, recieve alot of pressure. Here's a Willow Rainbow that I caught last fall, and this particular fish is pretty typical of what you can expect to catch along the Parks Hwy:

I've had one amazing day and about 6 or seven days that were really bad chasing that one amazing day in may, some times you'll hit the smolt bite and the fishing will be nuts, most times though its tough with high dirty water in valley streams.

A much better bet is to hit local lakes especially if you wanna harvest a few fish (C&R only untill June 15 in all streams north of willow). Scuds are good, and if its a sunny day midge hatches pop up by late may and you can get fish on top water. Plus the fish are usually in the swallows looking for a place to spawn (which they don't find in most lakes) they will concentrate in areas with gravel.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.