Thread: Fuel to new kicker question...

Default Fuel to new kicker question...

I just picked up a Honda 8hp long shaft to serve as the kicker on the 22' Starcraft.
    I'm wondering how to fuel it from the main tank whereby I won't somehow affect fueling the main motor- an oil-injected 135 Merc. outboard.
    Can I put a barbed "T" in the main line near the outlet of the 52 gallon tank and run a seperate line and primer bulb to the kicker?
    Could it be that easy? I don't want to screw up the fuel delivery to either motor.

Suggestions fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I just picked up a Honda 8hp long shaft to serve as the kicker on the 22' Starcraft.
    I'm wondering how to fuel it from the main tank whereby I won't somehow affect fueling the main motor- an oil-injected 135 Merc. outboard.
    Can I put a barbed "T" in the main line near the outlet of the 52 gallon tank and run a seperate line and primer bulb to the kicker?
    Could it be that easy? I don't want to screw up the fuel delivery to either motor.

Suggestions fellas?
    That's how mines rigged up except I have a valve to close off the line not being used.

I would use a racor fuel/water separator with dual outlets, one to each engine with a hose and bulb for each. I highly recommend a fuel/water separator on any thing in Alaska. However, many engine failures in boats are due to bad fuel. I carry a small fuel tank that is separate from my main fuel supply for my back up motor.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The way you described is exactly the way I did it on my boat with a 130 Honda 4 stroke and 15 Suzuki 4 stroke kicker. It did not have any negative effects on fuel delivery to either motor. My 130 is a Jet Drive and I run it hard just shy of WOT...I also agree with the others about adding a close off valve and plumbing from the water/fuel seperator.

Thumbs up

Sounds good.
    I'll pick up a Racor seperator, some fuel hose and a "T" and I'll git 'er done.

Many thanks fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Sounds good.
    I'll pick up a Racor seperator, some fuel hose and a "T" and I'll git 'er done.

Many thanks fellas!

Like Stid recommend, do away with the T and go with a racor with dual outlets. That way you can run a hose and bulb to each engine. Make sure the racor has the clear bowl so that you can see any water collecting.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Racor...Separator.html
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Talking Same

I have a 200hp with a 9.9hp kicker that is set up the same. Through a water separator, with two lines and bulbs coming out, one for each engine. The only thing I have run into is a vacuum that makes me choke the 9.9 just a little to get it started after running a ways on the main engine. I also have a 3 gallon tank of fresh fuel with another line just in case I run into a fuel problem. And I keep one or two fuel line connectors just in case. Sometimes I think it is overkill, but when you need it you need it. Thats it! I'm going fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Like Stid recommend, do away with the T and go with a racor with dual outlets. That way you can run a hose and bulb to each engine. Make sure the racor has the clear bowl so that you can see any water collecting.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Racor+660R%2DRAC%2D01+Fuel+Filter%7CWater+Separato r.html
    Got it!

I was gonna put the seperator in front of the "T", but the dual outlet eliminates that extra crap.

Mucho thanks!

Default separate fuel for kicker - Racor plumbed to connect if needed

I have my kicker tank directly connected to only the kicker with its own fuel line and primer bulb.

My main tank system has a dual inlet Racor. The spare inlet has a fuel rated ball valve that is normally closed and is connected to another fuel line with tank adapter fitting to connect to the kicker tank if needed (it normally just lays there coiled up and not connected to the kicker tank. I also installed a valve on the Racor inlet from the main tank that would be closed if I connected the kicker tank to the main engine. The valves are connected directly to the Racor (need a threaded nipple) to ensure no funky business caused by the unused line. If you are really a fuel quality nazi you could push in the bead and drain the fuel from the normally isolated line stubbed out for the kicker tank.

This way I can get fuel from my kicker tank to the main engine through the Racor if needed. Some jury rigging would be needed to get fuel from the main tank to the kicker, but this seems like something that would hardly ever be necessary anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I have a valve to close off the line not being used.
    In my opinion, when running two motors off of one fuel delivery system (dual outlet filter or "T"), having a valve to shut off each motor is a must. I encountered a problem on one of my boats. I installed a dual outlet fuel filter, without valves, on my jet boat. Occationally it would sifon the fuel out of the kicker motor's carb. This would cause air to enter the system and starve the main engine of fuel. This did not happen all the time, but it did happen often enough to cause major safey issue (like on the Little Su). My other boat has two seperate fuel delivery systems, one tank with two feeders and seperate filters.