Thread: Trapping Books?

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Trapping Books?

Hey guys,

Still got that winter fever. Anybody know of any good trapping books. How to's or alaska type? Thanks,

Rob

The Alaska Trappers association put out a great trapping book and one on wolf trapping. You can get it at there web site or a few bok stores in fairbanks.

I enjoyed reading .. "Trapping North American Furbearers" ..S.StanleyHawbaker

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The "Alaska Trappers Handbook" by Dean Wilson, not to be confused with the "Alaska Trappers Manual" by the Alaska Trappers Association, is also a good read. Both have good info and Deans book has quite a few stories from his many years of experience. The only place I know of to get Deans book is Alaska Range Trapping Supply, and I don't know if they still have them in stock.

Supporting Member

Default Great reading

Try Jim Rearden's "Alaska's Wolf Man", the story of Frank Glaser. You won't want to put it down until you finish it. I used to think I was tough until I read about old Frank! Another good read is "Shadows along the Koyokuk" (I think that was the name of it - I passed it along to a friend after reading it.) Both of these books should still be in print and available in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by trappermike View Post
    The only place I know of to get Deans book is Alaska Range Trapping Supply, and I don't know if they still have them in stock.
    Believe it or not, I saw Dean's book at Barnes & Noble in Anchorage about a weak ago. It's a great book.

I think tough was classified different in Frank Glassers day.

The Final Frontiersman... a book about Heimo Korth who is Alaska Trappers Association Person of the Year for 2003
    http://www.alaskatrappers.org/trapper_of_the_year.html

You can probably find the book from:
    http://outdoorsdirectory.com/store/

Enjoy!
    Lurker.