Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .325 price and availability

Question .325 price and availability

Thinking(haven't got the okay by the boss yet) about getting the Montana in .325wsm. What's the availability and price for .325 wsm factory ammo? I've never seen it down here.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Last year I ordered in a bunch of ammo from one of my distributors. I brought in 5 boxes of the 325 WSM 220 grain loads. I believe it is the only 325 WSM ammo in this part of Alaska as I have not seen any other on the store shelves out here.

Default Not much

I was thinking of a .325 too. Not a lot of ammo around and what was, was over $50 a box. Better buy a .338 instead or a .35 Whelen.

Bucknrut: In Alaska, unless you are in a major city, some of the more unique calibers may not be available in smaller communities. Those stores stock usually, what is owned in the community and/or what a guide in the community might have them stock for clients.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Even in anchorage the ammo is far and few. once a store puts it on the shelf its usually gone that day. For now atleast its definitly a reloading thing.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Must not be any 325 WSM shooters out here as I still have the same 5 boxes. :-(

Default Geeeesch!!!

Oh Boy...I was expecting a kick in the pants on this one, but looks like I took one right between the eyeballs!

Now 300 vs. 338...the never-ending question. I wish I knew someone down here with these cals so I could shoot them first. I'm afraid that 338 is going to send this little snort sailing!! But, I really don't wanna become dinner either!! Of course I might be sent sailing when Coral hears 50 Bucks a box! And then I would get no dinner...Somebody help!!

Talking 338

last time i bought ammo for my 338 (several boxes of federal gray box 225 grain) it was $20 a box. i'm pretty sure now i couldn't get ammo for that price though!! i am happy with the performance of my 338's. i also have a 300 and 3006 (2). you gotta ask "where will i be? what will i hunt? what will i encounter? what am i comfortable shooting? what can i shoot with and kill with one shot?" plus a bunch of other questions i'm probably missing!
    anyhow, i've always figured the best way to buy a gun with a disapproving missy in the house is to order her some stuff too, let me provide you with the following links (ha ha!):
    www.zales.com
    www.sephora.com

Default Options

There are several options in your quest for an Alaskan rifle. Sure a .338 is probably the most desireable when you have big bears on the plate. You could go with a .300 WM and carry a few heavy loads for bears. Like after the prime animal is down and you are in the packing out phase of the hunt. If you encounter a bear, it will be up close and the difference in trajectory at 20 feet is not going to matter.

The good old 30/06 is very popular at the shooting ranges too and with a good 220 or 200 grain bullet an acceptable round that has taken lots of big bears with well placed shots. If you are going to hunt moose, deer, sheep, goats and such, a quality 30/06 while not glamourized by a few letters after its name is still a great capable round.

Myself, I chose a cousin to the old faithful 30/06, the .35 Whelen. Close enough to the .338. Sometimes approching the .375 with stiff handloads, and not a hard kicker. And to my suprize when I moved to Elim Alaska, 90 miles south east of Nome, there were some on the shelf of the only ammunition supply in the town of 300 people.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I owned a 325 WSM last winter sold it because the only ammo produced for it even still now is Winchester 220 grain Power points, Winchester 200 grain Accubonds, and Winchester 180 grain Ballistic Silver tips. The Accubonds did not shoot well through the gun and the other 2 I have no use for personally. Federal has now like twice delayed its production of 325WSM ammo and since they arent pumping it out I believe the caliber is struggling to strive. If Federal would throw out some Barnes TSX's or some Trophy Bonded Bear Claws or another one of the Premium bullets the caliber would likely become more common. I think only Kimber and Browning are making the 325 WSM caliber in a rifle since Winchester went under so its having a hard time taking off. I did just buy a new Kimber Montana in 300WSM which will fill many niches for me.Cant say how it shoots as I havent got the scope for it yet (its on the way) but I will say from first impressions that it is one rock solid little mountain rifle that will be fun to use. She dont look vulnerable at all! Oh and as for ammo, aint none of it cheap anymore, Core-Lokts $28 a box in most calibers, Federal Premium stuff $39- $55 a box in standard to Whissum calibers. Hunting aint cheap!

Default Missy

The best way around an unapproving missy, is don't tell her. If she finds out later, beg for forgiveness. She'll get over it, they always do... If not, kick her to the curb.

Default I agree...........

As was stated earlier,anything a 338 can do,so can a 300.You dont need the biggest gun on the mountain all the time,especially if you cant hit the braodside of a barn with it!!! What good is it going to do if you are not comfortable shooting,afraid of the recoil,etc etc etc.Go with the 300 Win Mag or even the 30-06 (I know a guy who hunts everything with a .308),you can find ammo for it anywhere and it is still decently priced.I would however stay above a 7mm rem Mag though, just for safety reasons.Hope this helps............

Default Forgot too add.......

It's Always Easier To Ask For Forgiveness.......than For Permission!!

Yeah or you can do like me and buy a 300WM a 300WSM and a 338WM and tell the wife, you want me to be properly equipped in a bad situation, right?

Wink Good advice?!?!?!

LOL...Young blood flowing through these veins!

Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    last time i bought ammo for my 338 (several boxes of federal gray box 225 grain) it was $20 a box. i'm pretty sure now i couldn't get ammo for that price though!! i am happy with the performance of my 338's. i also have a 300 and 3006 (2). you gotta ask "where will i be? what will i hunt? what will i encounter? what am i comfortable shooting? what can i shoot with and kill with one shot?" plus a bunch of other questions i'm probably missing!
    anyhow, i've always figured the best way to buy a gun with a disapproving missy in the house is to order her some stuff too, let me provide you with the following links (ha ha!):
    www.zales.com
    www.sephora.com
    I think I have pretty much spent all of the time I am going to spend in a Jewelry store. I took care of business the first time I was there. After I had decided on EVERYTHING I was going to buy, the sales folks kept on pressuring me. My final comment to them was, "the only jewerly Coral is going to get after this is going to come in the form of a gold trigger!"

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    The best way around an unapproving missy, is don't tell her. If she finds out later, beg for forgiveness. She'll get over it, they always do... If not, kick her to the curb.
    You don't know Coral too well yet! She is the most amazing woman you will ever meet. YES she will find out, ALWAYS does... and I'd be willing to bet a lot of guns (that she bought me!) that YOU wouldn't throw her out!

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    It's Always Easier To Ask For Forgiveness.......than For Permission!!
    hmmm....the way I see it, Asking For Permission is like a pass that is good for at least 2 or 3 trips to Cabelas. Asking For Forgiveness only limits the number of Permissions Allowed! Besides that, you have to weigh out your "yes's" and "No's". Expect 3 to 6 No's for every 1 YES! Plan your No's when she is expected to give them, she can only say NO so many times before she HAS to say yes! It's in their nature to be fair and please! Learn to play the game!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Yeah or you can do like me and buy a 300WM a 300WSM and a 338WM and tell the wife, you want me to be properly equipped in a bad situation, right?
    I AM doing like you cub! Only sticker is that I've got a list longer than my left arm. It's all in the strategy! (Oh Boy...I'm gonna pay hell for that comment later)

Haha. Coral here. You boys are something else. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post

Besides that, you have to weigh out your "yes's" and "No's". Expect 3 to 6 No's for every 1 YES! Plan your No's when she is expected to give them, she can only say NO so many times before she HAS to say yes! It's in their nature to be fair and please! Learn to play the game!

I AM doing like you cub! Only sticker is that I've got a list longer than my left arm. It's all in the strategy! (Oh Boy...I'm gonna pay hell for that comment later)
    "Strategy" my *****. Don't let him fool you, guys. :-) Josh has no strategy; he doesn't need one. So long as he tells me everything before he does it, he does/gets pretty much whatever he wants. Perhaps he should share with you what the first gift his "disapproving missy" ever got for him was. :-)

Default BnR

How do you put your shirt on in the morning? Must be pretty hard with those welts all over your back... :-)

It was that way with the practice wife, and then I wised up..

Default 325s

For some reason there are quite a few boxes of 325 here in my town.
    Odd since nobody is buying it and I do not know of one 325 rifle here.
    There are about 8 or 10 of us here that have 350 Rem Mags. Me being the newest guy. And there is no ammo or brass here. But there is some 35 Whelen.

When I lived in the Yukon Flats area and later down river, I was always able to find 30-06, 30-30, 12 gauge and 22.
    In places like Fort Yukon or Galena you found lots of other stuff like 338 win mag, 308, 223, and 357 mag.

When I was a kid almost every store had some 7x57mm (7mm mauser). I think it was because of all those $25 to $35 surplus Mausers being used as homestead rifles after a little work with a saw and a screwdriver.

My first high power rifle was a full military 1930s era, M-98 mauser saddle carbine from south america. The old guy at the local hardware store gave me a paper bag (shopping sack size) full of loose 7mm ammo, so "I would be more a use with it, than a hazard".....
    I was one bolt-happy 14 years old...

xx

Thumbs up I say ya on the 325

I have posted a lot recently here about my 325. Search for Kimber 325 and you'll get em.

I have a Kimber Montana 325 that I bought here in Fairbanks this July. SW could not get any Kimber 325 rifles, I bought it at Frontier, bought my scope at SW. While I was there getting the scope mounted 3 guys wanted my 325. The guys that mount scopes at SW said they had seen 5 Kimbers 325's within 2 weeks come to get scopes mounted. I then overheard the manager at the gun counter talking with another employee and he was po'd because they were losing 325 sales cause they couldn't get any rifles unitl december. Anchorage store had them or something. Talked to anohter guy at Frontier who ordered his 325 online and was blown away to see that I was etting one locally, the last one.
    I don't know what all this ammo fuss is about. Sportsmans Warehouse and Frontier here carry 325 ammo. 43 bucks a box at SW. SW carries the 180,200, and 220's and lots of it. What else does a guy need?? I shoot 200gr accubonds and took my ram, my buddy shot his with it and I shot my bull moose at 350yds. Recovered the bullet. Perfect mushroom. I personally don't care if there aren't 20 different bullet weights like there are for an 06. I can kill any animal I want in Alaska with 200gr accubond 8mm bullet coming out the barrel at over 2900 fps. Plus the gun only weighs 7lbs 2ozs with scope and is stainless/kevlar. Perfect Alaska gun as far as I'm concerned.
    I might get into reloading someday. There are plenty of 8mm bullets out there. A quick google will get you reloading data or search this forum for 325. Murphy has reloaded and shot a few hundred rounds through a Kimber 325.

I hear guys talk about possibly not being able to get ammo in remote areas. Boy, if I were going on a once in a lifetime hunt to Alaska or anywhere else I surely would not rely on hopeing to be able to get a box of ammo at Joes country store. I'd be taking plenty with me in the first place. Or if I was worried about lost luggage I'd mail a couple boxes up ahead of time. I don't see that as a good reason to buy or not buy any certain caliber. Yes I know that things can happen but really, how often? Seems like a lot of guys are trying to scare guys off of buying what appears to be a great round based on a what if situation. I suppose it's different if you live in the bush and never get to town. My .02
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Snyd you were lucky

that your Kimber liked the Accubonds. When I bought my 325 WSM a Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow it shot like 2" groups with the Accubonds, I have no use for a Ballistic Silver Tip 180 grainer for Alaskas animals and the Winchester 220 grain Power Points defeats the capabilities and trajectories of the 325WSM. I was at a stand still unless I was willing to pay someone to make me ammo, I was real excited about the caliber when I got it, I was thinking this thing would be a great middle ground for everything gun, but 2" groups with the only quality bonded bullet made for it wasn't good enough for me. That 2" group gets real big at the ranges you shot your sheep at this year , if you know what I mean. I think this thing(the 325WSM) would have really taken off if they made it in more models and Federal had pumped out a decent variety of ammo for it. Heck theres more 300WSM ammo choices available at SW in Fairbanks than there is for the 300WM, as of last week.

Default ps

and it shoots the 200gr in 1 inch groups
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast