Thread: Finger Lakes (Kenai Pen.)

Default Finger Lakes (Kenai Pen.)

When out and about the other day on the Swanson River Road I saw a empty smowmachine trailer on the Finger Lakes Road. I assumed that machines were being used to go fishing. Anyone know about closures to snowmachines on this road? Here are the rules, which are somewhat ambiguous:
    Snowmobiles Operation of snowmobiles is authorized on the Kenai NWR subject to the following conditions and exceptions:
    (i) Snowmobiles are permitted between December 1 and April 30 only when the refuge manager determines that their is adequate snow cover to protect underlying vegetation and soils. During this time, the manager will authorize, through public notice, the use of snowmobiles less than 46 inches in width and less than 1,000 pounds (450 kg) in weight. Designated snowmobile areas are described on a map available from the refuge manager.
    (ii) All areas above timberline, except Caribou Hills, are closed to snowmobile use.
    (iii) The area within sections 5, 6, 7, and 8, T. 4 N., R. 10 W., S.M., AK., east of the Sterling Highway right-of-way including the refuge headquarters complex, the environmental education/cross-country ski trails, Headquarters and Nordic Lakes, and the area north of the east fork of the Slikok Creek and northwest of a prominent seismic trail to Funny River Road is closed to snowmobile use.
    (iv) An area, including the Swanson River Canoe Route and portages, beginning at Paddle Lake parking area, then west and north along the Canoe Lakes wilderness boundary to the Swanson River, continuing northeast along the river to Wild Lake Creek, then east to the west shore of Shoepac lake, south to the east shore of Antler Lake, and west to the beginning point near Paddle Lake, is closed to snowmobile use.
    (v) An area, including the Swan lake Canoe Route, and several road-connected public recreational lakes, bounded on the west by Swanson River Road, on the north by the Swan Lake Road, on the east from a point at the east end of Swan lake Road south to the west bank of the Moose River, and on the south by the refuge boundary, is closed to snowmobile use.
    (vi) Within the Skilak Loop Special Management Area, snowmobiles are prohibited except on Hidden, Kelly, Petersen, and Engineer Lakes for ice fishing access only. Upper and Lower Skilak Lake campground boat launches may be used as access points for snowmobile use on Skilak Lake.
    (vii) Snowmobiles may not be used on maintained roads within the refuge. Snowmobiles may cross a maintained road after stopping and when traffic on the roadway allows safe snowmobile crossing.
    (viii) Snowmobiles may not be used for racing or for the harassment of wildlife.

vii is the one that has me wondering. It is a gated road, and not maintained in the winter I believe. Anybody know about this before I go get myself busted?

If it's not plowed it would be unmaintained.

Man you guys have way too many rules over there.
    We can run our snowmachines anywhere except for a small section right in the heart of downtown Yellowknife. We are alowed to run them in town, on the roads and pretty much anywhere there is snow.
    From my place I just hop on the road and in a couple of minutes I can be on any of a 1/2 dozen trails and off to the bush.

Default Swanson River

The snowmachine use you speak of was a trapper. Marathon Oil has a gas well out there. The refuge is open to snowmachine use until they close it. Have fun.

Default Drifter...

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    If it's not plowed it would be unmaintained.

Man you guys have way too many rules over there.
    We can run our snowmachines anywhere except for a small section right in the heart of downtown Yellowknife. We are alowed to run them in town, on the roads and pretty much anywhere there is snow.
    From my place I just hop on the road and in a couple of minutes I can be on any of a 1/2 dozen trails and off to the bush.
    ... just shut up!
    Yeah, it ain't the good old Alaska it once was, but
    at least we can own all the guns we want (unlike Canada)... for awhile anyway.

Default Thanks chinookee

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    The snowmachine use you speak of was a trapper. Marathon Oil has a gas well out there. The refuge is open to snowmachine use until they close it. Have fun.
    If I get stopped I'll tell the brown shirt that you said to go ahead and have fun.

Default Snowmachine use on the Refuge

Was going ice fishing earlier this winter on forest lake. Got stopped by a tropper in the parking lot who was checking fishing licenses. Asked him about snowmachine use and he said pretty much the left side of the road heading in is open right side is closed.
    You could go to the refuge website and print their map. shows the boundaries on a topo map.
    Be careful as the Moose range section has its own special rules.
    I believe the finger lakes area might now be Native land but i'm not sure.
    I would call refuge headquaters to be sure of any specific questions.
    Good Luck Fishing
    Chris