Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Rug Cost

Default Bear Rug Cost

I appologize if this has already been addressed, but I coundn't find an answer in the archives.

I have been looking at various websites trying to figure out what the cost is of having a bear rug made, both black and brown. I have seen such a wide variance in prices, I am a little confused. It seems like I could get a hide tanned for around $50 per foot and a rug made for around $200/foot, including all taxidermy work. Does this seem about right?

What has the total cost been for rugs you guys have had made?

Default rug

Do you want to do the work or have someone else do it?

If you look at places like Montana, Utah and other places you will save a lot of money. They were running around $100-$125 a foot for rugs and it doesn't matter if its black bear or brown bear. Most places up here charge more for a brown/grizzly bear. I was going to have a black bear rugged last year and the tax. told me it would cost around $1300. I will be sending it out of state to be rugged.

Prices really do vary alot. whoever you go through, make sure they handsew. most folks nowadays hotglue the rug together. its faster and cheaper, but.....

Also make sure they use batting. rugs that are put together look like a pancake. that extra "poof" makes a big differance.

you pay good money for a rug, atleast get one that looks good and will last.

My rugs are all hand and machine sewn, double felt with batting and pads, installed D rings for hanging, Many colors of felt to chose from, Prices are $190ft black, $195.00ft griz, $200.00ft Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    My rugs are all hand and machine sewn, double felt with batting and pads, installed D rings for hanging, Many colors of felt to chose from, Prices are $190ft black, $195.00ft griz, $200.00ft Brown.
    I'm just curious, why the difference in price for black vs. brown? I know it's not much, but it seems to me that the work involved in doing a 7' black bear would be the same as doing a 7' brown bear. Are the forms different and cost more for a brown? Please don't take offence, I'm just asking.

just around $700 for black bear somewhere b/w 4.5-5ft. done in anchorage area .

Troutbum,

Brown's are more expensive because the hide is wider than a Blackie. So the length may be the same between a Brown and Black but the square footage of tanning, etc. is greater on the Brown.

I paid $845 flat rate for my open mouth black bear rug. Excellent work. Hand/machine sewn, batting, and D-rings for hanging. $1,300 is way steep.

Default It makes sense, but...

I paid $400 in 1981 for a 7' black bear (cinnamon!) by the Raverie's in Lewiston ID, they did many of Jack O'Connors mounts. Now that I think about it, $850 in today's money is a bargain compared to that. I would recommend finding a local, reputable taxidermist and not sending it out of state to save a little money...re you have to pay shipping both ways, insurance too. You may only do this once, make sure you do it right. Not justifying the $1300 price, but ask around and go to the shop, look at the displays, almost all taxidermist have them. My last deer mount was several hundred dollars less than some other taxidermists, but the display mounts were perfect, this guy just took his time and had lots of business and charged what he thought was a fair price.

My personal opinion is if your going to spend the coin on a rug do it right. After all the head is a mount and you don't want a funky looking face. There is many out there.

I had my last griz done by Fosters in the valley. I honestly don't remember the cost but it wasn't cheap but he did a stand out job and the face is very life like looking.

My next bear will go to him. Not saying there is no other good guys out there but just like anything else you get what you pay for.

Default $ for 6'2" PWS Blacky

Buddys was $100 to Skull & Knuckle, then he took it home to Florida and had a rug made of it for $400, took 8 months 5'8"

We both took 6'2" with in 2 hours of each other and 50 yards apart.
    Mine was $325 to Knuckle & Tan only, never did get the rug done, but found for $300 it could be finished. took 6 weeks, my hunting buddy's was $900 in Kenai to Knuckle and Rug, took 18 months ?

So a little shopping around seem to pay, but making sure they know what they are doing is important. See one in Michagan that was $650 and a bad looking job on a 4'8" blacky.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 09-23-2009 at 17:09.

Default Difference

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    I do not wish to be rude but what is the difference between a brown and grizzly? And how can you tell the difference? The price per foot is the square?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

of the 5 bears of have had rugged yet, the cheapest was 1200. and that was a 5'6 bear in Valdez years ago,,,that was the last one the taxi would take that season, and the next bear right at 5 foot cost 1300.00 most have charged me by Lineal foot rather then square foot. my 8 foot brownie terry is doing is about 1600... it is hard to keep track with 600 in skull work done an BB tanning all mixed in the same cost. i have heard there is a place down in the Valley that will do any tanned hide into a rug for 400(?) and have seen the work looks great. tanning i guess this year ran 40-47 per lineal foot if my memory is correct or real close to it. i used two places. I have two blackies hanging (lost two in a fire) and now a grizz... the kids and i have all agreed the no more rugs unless it is OVER 6.5 foot, and that will set the boundary on the next one. the pelts are tanned and hung. and have their own character in our bear mausoleum..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info guys, that clears things up quite a bit. Does anybody have any shops in the interior they would recommend, or steer clear of? Fell free to PM if you prefer.

Redale,
    It is my understanding that the real difference between brown and griz is location. Coastal bears are browns, while grizzlies live in the interior. Of course, the browns tend to be quite a bit larger. Someone else may have some more information, but I believe that genetically they are identical, but Boone & Crockett separates them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhead View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, that clears things up quite a bit. Does anybody have any shops in the interior they would recommend, or steer clear of? Fell free to PM if you prefer.

Redale,
    It is my understanding that the real difference between brown and griz is location. Coastal bears are browns, while grizzlies live in the interior. Of course, the browns tend to be quite a bit larger. Someone else may have some more information, but I believe that genetically they are identical, but Boone & Crockett separates them.
    well one has replied here to you. see harters, below he has a nice shop on Pegar, and nice work there.

i have used terry at black bear taxidermy, with good results. and seen lots of his work.

Daniel in AK has a favorite over by Ft wainwright,,, i have not seen his yet except what is hanging on his wall....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince
    Whats the name of the place in the Valley that does the rugs? I would like to check them out before I send mine out of state.

I dont know... it is a friend,of another memebers, who was showing me the work...perhaps we can get them to chime in, i will ask if it is okay to get that info and post it...

meet on face book here

I had a Kodiak Brn done and the skull was 275.00 and the rug was around 2000.oo. Once in a life time for sure as the house isn't big enough for any more.lol. The bear wasn't all that big the house is small. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Shop for your taxidermist like you would shop for your wife. Don't go ugly early to beat the midnight rush!
    That's for sure, I was spoiled having a taxidermist close to home, like this guy growing up. Flawless work and he made sure that the customer was 100% satisfied no matter what. Thats why he has gone on to bigger and better things in the business. http://www.taxidermymuseum.com/

I haven't shopped around much up here yet, but if I can find someone as good as this guy I will be stoked.

Default Valley Taxidermist

Foxy Beaver in Big Lake
    892-8938
    875.00 no size limit 2 felts open or closed mouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast