Thread: potential $$ for cabin

Default potential $$ for cabin

I have land near Healy. I would like to place a cabin/summer place on the land. I prefer NOT to use onsite lumber. I need a foundation, elevated floor, building(16x20) single story, and a roof. Obviously it would need the normal insulation, and other things I've not mentioned. I don't want bids, I was just wondering about how much $$ experienced folks see me spending to get a cabin of these dimensions- just a best guess.

I supplied the money end to build a friend a 16 x20 cabin here in Delta about 3 yrs ago. I bought all material in delta and the cost was approx 3500.00 including roofing and insulation and visqueen. there was 4 of us and we did the labor for free...

I run a quote for this same request ten times a year in my store. You are looking at about $9000 for a 16x20 with a full loft, 6x6 treated post foundation, 2x12 floor joists and rafters, steel roof, R30 floor insulation, R21 wall insulation, T1-11 siding, R38 roof insulation, two 48x48 vinyl slider windows, one steel entry door, stair material, visqueen. No interior finish at all. Figure another $500 for fasteners and simpson brackets.

You can figure on knocking about $1500 off of it if you did away with the loft.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

building your self? average shell cost 29-35 per square foot. finished trim kitchens all the 85-135 depending on size and quality you install....

he smaller the cabin the more per sq ft simply because it cost a few dollars more to install extra lengths x width especially when framing. for instance you need 3 studs in a 4 foot wall and 5 in and 8 foot wall.... where the cost adds up is in insulating and finishing. insulation runs .85 per sq foot regardless of size.... remember to keep your plans in four foot dimensions you will have less waist.. and if using roofing metal.... make it dived by 3 across your peak . that way you are not buying materials that go into the scrap pile....

log 3 sided run 2.00 for crap -7.00 for best per linal foot...and when i say crap... i mean it... you will wind up milling your layers to get them to lay straight...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Cabin on the cheap

Why not put two 40 foot containers side by side? Could build as you need, plus everything is secure and dry inside from the get go.

Talking Containers...

I drew up some plans for containers...2 each side by side...8x20...would give you 16x20...Now, Install pull down stairs, and build on top of it .Bear proof,for the most part people proof.Install siding on the containers to match,Bolt the containers together.They stack these things pretty high on the ships.No problem with weight.Piers would have 1 1/2" adjustable bolts.That would give a guy 7' of buffer so as not to disturb the perma frost if the floor was insulated well.All you would need is a fat wallet.GR

Default great information

Sounds like you can go inexpensive ($4000) to higher end ($9000) and probably a lot higher yet! I never thought about containers, I work in them all the time and often use them as a field office, hmmm.
    I can't remember who, Vance or Doug, or maybe both, have pretty detailed info. One of you puts together bids, where do you work, do you do a bunch of these?
    The other sounds like you may be a builder? Or maybe just pay close attention?
    The company I work for has K-span machines which we use to build garages and storage sheds. We also spray 100's of sets of polyurethane foam a year.
    I had thought I might be able to build a building with k-span and face the end with horizontal log slabs. We have a small apartment in Idaho built similarly.
    I am just looking for the best bang for my dollar, not necessarily the cheap route. I'm not sure I could touch $10,000 with my plan though.
    What kind of snow loads are actual in the Healy area?
    Is there a problem with vandals damaging unoccupied cabins in Alaska?
    I cannot wait to break ground!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Sounds like you can go inexpensive ($4000) to higher end ($9000) and probably a lot higher yet! I never thought about containers, I work in them all the time and often use them as a field office, hmmm.
    I can't remember who, Vance or Doug, or maybe both, have pretty detailed info. One of you puts together bids, where do you work, do you do a bunch of these?
    The other sounds like you may be a builder? Or maybe just pay close attention?
    The company I work for has K-span machines which we use to build garages and storage sheds. We also spray 100's of sets of polyurethane foam a year.
    I had thought I might be able to build a building with k-span and face the end with horizontal log slabs. We have a small apartment in Idaho built similarly.
    I am just looking for the best bang for my dollar, not necessarily the cheap route. I'm not sure I could touch $10,000 with my plan though.
    What kind of snow loads are actual in the Healy area?
    Is there a problem with vandals damaging unoccupied cabins in Alaska?
    I cannot wait to break ground!!
    I am a builder...do lots of bids too... there in the june creek area... you can add a few thousand to get materials to you...and equipment rental... er.... ouch you only have one local choice....the rest it 100.00-150.00 an hour R/T away in fairbanks...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great post, I came up with $8500 a few months back after wandering around Lowes for a long time with alot of unknowns, there is another $500.

I'm currently thinking the same with Sonet Tubes, I was wonder what Vince or others would think the cost for someone to put the foundation in would be (Land prep, no trees to remove, Sonet Tubes and the frame of a floor? I'm looking at 16x20 with another 8 feet of deck so the foundation would be 16x28... I would like to contract that part out as I think it would be the most time consuming and logistically challenging to do, and I have limited amount of time to complete the rest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Great post, I came up with $8500 a few months back after wandering around Lowes for a long time with alot of unknowns, there is another $500.

I'm currently thinking the same with Sonet Tubes, I was wonder what Vince or others would think the cost for someone to put the foundation in would be (Land prep, no trees to remove, Sonet Tubes and the frame of a floor? I'm looking at 16x20 with another 8 feet of deck so the foundation would be 16x28... I would like to contract that part out as I think it would be the most time consuming and logistically challenging to do, and I have limited amount of time to complete the rest.

Thanks
    perma frost?

meet on face book here

No perma frost, outside of Sterling but many others in the immediate area stated no perma frost.

nikster... have you checked the fact that Healy's water isn't the "best".

Might wanna check into that! Healy sits on a old Nuke Waste site.... even though it was "cleaned' up, the water isn't all that great and taste very metallic.

I am assuming you want to dig for a well (which you can do) but in most cases you will be hauling in water. Might wanna check on the price of a water tank, water, disposal if you don't have a small septic.

As for permafrost... check with the USGS site maps on the main website. The maps can come up and you can topo the area you are in and see what if any permafrost is around.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

When was Healy a nuclear waste storage place?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

2 ice ages ago, when the uranium rich asteroid hit and started global warming. Sheesh Doug, where you been!!

WWII comes to mind They wanted to "dump" it somewhere. And Healy (since it was one time concidered a crucial area for the U.S. Army via the Rail Road) used it to dump. Then in the 70's they (Corp of Engineers) were mandated to "clean up" the site, due to contamination.

Heck Doug, there are still "barrels" in the Ft Richardson lakes that haven't been cleaned up. I know there are some in the lakes on Ft Wainwright...

Though, I don't remember the village at this moment in time. But there is a village who also had some "stuff" dumped out by them. It was cleaned up in the early 80's but that doesn't mean it still didn't happen.

Lots of Places in Alaska have that issue and have yet to be cleaned up!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    When was Healy a nuclear waste storage place?
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I should also mention Umiat... another U.S. Military site working with USGS (NPRA) that took decades to "clean up", as the Military was looking for oil since the NPRA was originally called the Naval Petroleum Reserve Alaska, which then changed to the National Petro Reserve after WWII.

Weird things you learn on this road called life!

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Though, I don't remember the village at this moment in time. But there is a village who also had some "stuff" dumped out by them. It was cleaned up in the early 80's but that doesn't mean it still didn't happen.
    Point Hope.

Google Operation Chariot (I can't get a linkie to work).

Here is a link on the Op Chariot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chariot_(1958)

And a ADEC item that is worth reading. Small but gives you an idea.

http://environment.about.com/od/heal...laskawaste.htm

[quote=upinak;465943]Here is a link on the Op Chariot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chariot_(1958)

/quote]

That's the link that sucks.

Google it, then hit wikipedia on it from the results for access to the article.