Thread: Fly out non guided Caribou Hunt

Default Fly out non guided Caribou Hunt

Hello everybody, can anybody recommend a air taxi service for a fly out drop off caribou hunt? I don't need a guide or gear, just want to be dropped off and picked up a week or so later. I'm in Afghanistan right now, but plan on being home by Aug-Sept timeframe. Thanks for the time

Default What unit?

There are lots of flight services but you need to choose which unit or herd that you want to hunt. I can tell you that it about impossible to find a flight service out of Kotz for the 09 season as most have been booked solid for about 1/12 months.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you some names and at least point you in the right direction if you are looking at WACH.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue. AK
    33 miles North of the Arctic Circle
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Alaska Bush Sports

Try Alaska Bush Sports, Mike is his name, he is an excellent, safe pilot. He did a drop off hunt for me and my dad, brother, and friend in the Arctic two years ago. I would have gone with him again last year no question but I was overseas.

Default Deltana..open dates

The other day I spoke with Ralph with Deltana Outfitters. They are once again doing DIY drop hunts for bou out of Happy Valley. He said the schedule was pretty open right now, $1500 PP.

Although the Mulchatna Herd is down in numbers, if you want to hunt it, call Trail Ridge Air, I've hunted wioth them the last 8 years and have never been disappointed and have seen bou every time. We are goiong out in Sept again. If I don't take my duaghter out again this year, I might be her next target

Bill,
    Are you still seeing any bulls out there? The last time I went out there I had a great time, got a decent bull and a beautiful griz. It's been several years though. I like that area, and with the decline of the mulchatna herd, you are pretty much all by yourself out there.

-bobble

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Bill,
    Are you still seeing any bulls out there? The last time I went out there I had a great time, got a decent bull and a beautiful griz. It's been several years though. I like that area, and with the decline of the mulchatna herd, you are pretty much all by yourself out there.

-bobble

Yes we are and I'm going back out there this year. We are not seeing the number of animals we did back in 2002 but they are there. We have started to see more wolves and about the same number of bears. We didn't go last year, my brothers came up and wanted moose so we did that. Its going to get even more "lonely" out there with it closed to non residents.

Bill,
    I like that area, I didn't mind doing some walking to find a bull. The last bull I harvest out there was 4 miles from camp. I was wore out by the end, but well worth it. Where have you hunted out there?

check out the link for some good reading over there and some information about a trip.