Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: bear baiting supplies

  1. #1
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default bear baiting supplies

    Okay there is an outfit in Wasilla that making a home based business... i have talked with them and abut there products and am going to give them a try. Jess and her husband seem like good folks and are avid bear hunters as well... we all see a lot of stuff that is commercially made and expensive.

    I have encouraged jess to become more involved with our on line community as well... they are new members and did not want to come across on the wrong foot... but i will attempt to support any local Alaskan endeavor that i can.


    Great to meet you Jess good luck to your endevior... sound like you have a great product.. so jump in here and start teaching the new folks that have questions on the baiting and hunting of bears...

    here is their site.....http://www.baitem907.com/index.html


    and look for the new member baitem907... thats jess

    Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  2. #2
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Wink Thanks for the Intro Vince

    Thanks for Welcoming us to this Forum. At first I (Jess) was worried to post, thinking I would put my foot in my mouth. I am a 27 year resident of Alaska and Steve has been here 3 years. Yes, he just had to move up here for the Game. Although he still dreams about the Whitetails in Wisconsin.
    We have been baiting black bears together for 3 years now. For most that doesn't seem like a lot. But as for me, I have been hunting with my Father for years now.
    After 3 years of making bait I thought to myself, I am tired of making this just for us and our friends. Each year everyone wanted more and more. Our concoctions were becoming more popular to friends of friends. So we decided to do this for a side job. Its been fun hearing all the stories from people. I enjoy seeing the tree cam pictures of what is hitting the bait.

    If you have any questions please feel free to jump in.... but you aren't going to get my secret recipe.

    Jess Gahan
    www.baitem907.com

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Vince thanks for passing on the info. Daniel

  4. #4
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I'd like to pick up 2 scent balls.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Leavenworth Wa.
    Posts
    234

    Talking Baiting...

    I had over 25 years baiting until we lost it to the anti's.That was tuff to swallow.Just when the grand kids were old enough to grab a bow and join me in the stand.Times when I wanted to see when a bear was hitting the bait, I tied a small battery operated clock to the tree, and a big juicy bone to the battery.That was ok, but when I found the battery chewed, it was time to quit.Worked great for timing bears.As far as strike baits,yeah, we all have our own concoctions.Don't take much.If there is bears...they will come.Welcome to the threads guys.GR

  6. #6
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default Batteries and Bait

    What a great idea to tie a clock to a tree! *Smile* Wonder how that bear liked his new mouthwash. My daughter is turning 12 and refuses to get in a tree stand. I completely understand her fears! But you can't take a fishing pole out of her hand. I hate to tell her but she is probably safer in a tree. I enjoy seeing kids and parents hunting and fishing together. Kids these days just don't get it!

    Jess
    www.baitem907.com

  7. #7
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default My kids are hooked

    My daughter and i were working on the cabin when this guy walked up to us....




    The boy and I spent two hours waiting for his first to come in.... all he could say was....


    " i nearly pee'd my pants when i seen those feet coming through the brush..

    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Leavenworth Wa.
    Posts
    234

    Wink Baiting...

    Some of the best hrs of my life were spent sitting in a tree stand watching bears.I even had a mom and two cub cougars visit one evening.That was a real thrill.GR

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    81

    Default Baitem907 do you need any notice

    to pick up the bear balls. I will be flying to Big lake some time next week. Depends on the ash. Glad you are doing this. I used to order from out side. The shipping was a killer.

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Thanks for Welcoming us to this Forum. At first I (Jess) was worried to post, thinking I would put my foot in my mouth. I am a 27 year resident of Alaska and Steve has been here 3 years. Yes, he just had to move up here for the Game. Although he still dreams about the Whitetails in Wisconsin.
    We have been baiting black bears together for 3 years now. For most that doesn't seem like a lot. But as for me, I have been hunting with my Father for years now.
    After 3 years of making bait I thought to myself, I am tired of making this just for us and our friends. Each year everyone wanted more and more. Our concoctions were becoming more popular to friends of friends. So we decided to do this for a side job. Its been fun hearing all the stories from people. I enjoy seeing the tree cam pictures of what is hitting the bait.

    If you have any questions please feel free to jump in.... but you aren't going to get my secret recipe.

    Jess Gahan
    www.baitem907.com
    Glad to hear things are working out Jess, i love to see folks start their own business and make it work... lord knows i am on #3.... so being a resident of 27 years you should have many good ideas and stories about AK, so quit the lurking and jump on in here.... we need all the help we can get with these young guys hounding us for information!!!!!!!

    Welcome to the boards, grow some relationships, and grab hubby and get him involved to!!!!!

    good luck and as always, if you need a hand give a holler, there are tons of us on here willing to pitch in at any time...

    Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    What a great idea to tie a clock to a tree! *Smile* Wonder how that bear liked his new mouthwash. My daughter is turning 12 and refuses to get in a tree stand.

    Jess
    www.baitem907.com
    Jess, see If she'll try a ground blind? *wink* just kidding.

    Hey Vince..........them kids are turning out to be good hunters.Think They'll take me out this spring? lol!

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Jess, see If she'll try a ground blind? *wink* just kidding.

    Hey Vince..........them kids are turning out to be good hunters.Think They'll take me out this spring? lol!
    get a ladder stand Jess,

    Daniel, heck man i am Loosing all but the baby for the summer this year.. you might be stuck going out with me.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default Repsonse

    What an overwhelming response all of you have given us. Thank you so much! Its nice to hear the stories you all have. Its really nice to hear that you all support local businesses and not just the big guys.
    I have been dreaming about that 338 RCM so I better get back to work.

    Vince,
    Ground blind! Can I just tell her I bought her a new house in the woods. Take it or leave it. Oh and here is your protection. Would that be considered child abuse?

  14. #14
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default You might try a ladder stand....

    And leave the ladder off at first, get her comfortable knowing that with her safety harness she cannot fall off. Ladder stands are easier to get into for me. Or, you could use a regular tree stand too. Just mount them near the ground and get her confident, then maybe she will go up in one.

    When we started tree stand hunting, my son rigged up a climbing rope with a knot that would slip up but not down. I used that with climbing sticks and pegs, but with the ladder stand it would be pretty hard to slip or fall going up.

    I'm a non-resident but may start black bear hunting near my cabin in PWS..if I do, I'll look you up for sure, I suppose you can ship to Valdez? Sorry, I already ordered a bunch of scent stuff down her for hunting next month in Idaho! Any idea what it would cost to ship your bear scent balls to Idaho? They are less expensive than the ones down here so maybe folks in the lower 48 wouldn't mind paying some shipping....rural mailmen beware though!

    Ron

  15. #15
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    And leave the ladder off at first, get her comfortable knowing that with her safety harness she cannot fall off. Ladder stands are easier to get into for me. Or, you could use a regular tree stand too. Just mount them near the ground and get her confident, then maybe she will go up in one.

    When we started tree stand hunting, my son rigged up a climbing rope with a knot that would slip up but not down. I used that with climbing sticks and pegs, but with the ladder stand it would be pretty hard to slip or fall going up.

    I'm a non-resident but may start black bear hunting near my cabin in PWS..if I do, I'll look you up for sure, I suppose you can ship to Valdez? Sorry, I already ordered a bunch of scent stuff down her for hunting next month in Idaho! Any idea what it would cost to ship your bear scent balls to Idaho? They are less expensive than the ones down here so maybe folks in the lower 48 wouldn't mind paying some shipping....rural mailmen beware though!

    Ron
    Ron,
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to have to look up how to tie that knot.
    As for the shipping on things. I try and fit everything in a flat rate box $11.00 to ship. It can fit one scent ball, a spray and one or two gel beads. That $11.00 is anywhere in the US.
    Nice to see someone else from Idaho on here. I am from Nampa,ID
    Jess

  16. #16
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default Bear Goo

    I had a gentlemen suggest a scented bear goo to pour on a carpet remnant to place slightly under your barrel. What do you all think?
    Would it still soak in like grease?
    Sounds like it could be a pain if it tainted the soil.
    Its the same kind of thing I do to scent barrels.
    Just an idea that got thrown at me.

    Jess

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Man Jess, i really get tired of steping around the BEAR GOO,,, at the bait sites it really amazes me how far one bag of dog food can go when fully processed...

    would it help?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default Goo

    I completely understand! I try and stay away from grease. I like to scent coat the barrel with a goo and just pour it on th dog food. It was a suggestion from someone. Just thought I would ask everyone what they thought about it.

    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

  19. #19
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default Jess....

    I'll get some pics and a description for that climbing safety rope setup for you and post it....have to get it from my son, he's shown me several times but I foget by the next day. My heads full of important stuff!

  20. #20
    Member Fuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    179

    Default Knots

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I'll get some pics and a description for that climbing safety rope setup for you and post it....have to get it from my son, he's shown me several times but I foget by the next day. My heads full of important stuff!
    When I was in a mountain rescue group we used a prussic knot tied on the rope and attached to our harness to arrest a fall... and it works climbing up or down. It's fast, easy, and safe and will not damage your rope like a mechanical ascender. You can find instructions here: http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

    Fuse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •