Thread: Using an Ancor Buddy

Default Using an Ancor Buddy

The post about the football players sinking got me thinking about using the Anchor Buddy. I haven't used mine yet, but I intend to in a couple months near Kuiu Island for spring bears. Hopefully there are some people with experience with this product that can give me some pointers.

The video for the product makes it look like the anchor gets attached to stern and a line from the bow is run to shore. What happens if the waves come up? Since the boat is anchored at the stern, won't it swivel on the stern and the waves come up and over the back? Shouldn't the anchor and Anchor Buddy be attached to the bow? How do you "motor to shore" as the video instructs with the line attached to the bow and running underneath the boat without cutting it up?

Here's a link to the video: http://tuggyproducts.com/anchorbuddy.html
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I think you are confusing two different things. The guys that drowned down in Florida were 50+ miles offshore and had their anchor get stuck and tried to pull it loose by securing the anchor line to the stern and pulling it free under power in heavy seas (15'+ if I remember correctly). That is obviously deadly. However from your post, you are concerned about the Anchor Buddy system. Up front I have never used that but have read about it on this forum. From the link you posted I would say forget about the the first picture in that link (which shows the boat bow towards the shore) and realize from the illustrations that the bow should be pointed offshore in case of waves at night. From the illustrations the boat is REALLY anchored from the bow and the stern is just tied off to the beach. This is a completely different scenario from the Florida incident.

just my .02 cents worth

Dave

I have a few friends that have one. They like it. You drop a friend off at shore then go out deep (as far as the buddy allows you) then you anchor. You buddy from shore pulls you in. The you let go of the buddy rope (once attached to shore) and the boat will drift out towards the anchor. When you ready to get the boat you just pull the buddy.
    What happen in Florida has nothing to do with the buddy system.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Done it

I did this in Kodiak for day deer hunts inside some tame bays. Set out an anchor with buoy. I attach a large D ring or 5" stainless ring to the buoy with another line. Run my moorage and pulley line through the ring. Run the boat to shore and unload. Tie the two ends of the moorage line together and wrap a part of the moorage line to the cleat on the bow of the boat. Pull the boat back out the buoy and tie off the line on shore. It never failed me, if it makes sense

Default Anchor Buddy

I use an Anchor Buddy when I camp in quiet coves around Prince William Sound and it works good. I just have a 20' Hewescraft so it's nice to run up to the beach and drop off the gear and then let the boat out to deeper water so it doesn't go dry at low tide. The anchor line is tied to the stern and the bow line runs to shore. Your lines will be more slack than you are imagining after you let the boat out to deeper water so it would take some big waves and low sideboards before you would need to worry. The boat will drift around a bit with the current and wind so make sure you have plenty of clear area. I'm guessing you'll find a protected bay on Kuiu Island. The Anchor Buddy only stretches 45' so you have to be careful to choose a fairly steep beach area or your boat will still go dry at low tide. It's important to pay attention to the tide charts and scout the area with your depth finder before you choose a place to anchor up. Also, make sure you lift your prop up just in case something happens when you're not watching.

Dave pretty much nailed it.

I also use the anchor buddy bow towards shore. In protected waters.

So the general thought is that the Anchor Buddy will stretch to compensate for waves and the back end won't get pulled under. Thanks for all the help.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Not sure I would use it on the big boat, but I suspect it would be the ticket for my tender. I always worry about come back to the raft, just to find that a black bear thought it was a rubber chew toy. If you need more than 45', I suppose one could link two together. Just a thought.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Charterboat Operator

having used the anchor buddy many times in me old boat, here is what we would do when you were not anchored in a protected cove. Drop 1 man and your gear on shore, attach a line to the stern, drop your anchor, with buddy attached, have the shore man pull the boat into the beach stern first. obviously the motor (s) lifted, get out and let the buddy do its thing.
    this way it is attached to the bow.
    we only ever did this a dozen times or so, and only when we weren't in a very smart place to leave the boat. will say that it did work quite well even in some larger waves.
    just a suggestion if you need to park the boat in an unprotected spot!

Before getting our tender we used an anchor buddy so we could get to shore; would only used in protected coves. Toss of the stern about 50ft from shore, coast in and jump off with bow line, than pull her to shore when we’re ready. The stretchy part was short lived but at about 25 bucks a cheep investment.
    Also found useful if you’re anchored up exposed and want to keep the boat bow into the rollers, just toss of the stern with light anchor.
    Reminds me, I need to pick one up before the season.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Buddy...

Can they be purchased locally or do you have to order them on-line?

Default Locally

767 - Sportsmans whse in Anch used to have them, I imagine they still have a couple in stock but you might want to hurry

Default Anchor Buddy

They had a bunch of them at Sportsmans in Wasilla (minus one) if anyone is interested.