Thread: What else could be killing our sheep?

Default What else could be killing our sheep?

I'd like to see the Alaska Wild Sheep Federation try go after the eagles next. Not really! But while they are at it let's see how far they make it with that one. I agree with the aerial predator control. I would have also agreed with them if they would have picked specific control areas on coyotes just like they do for the bears and wolves but their last push to list coyotes as vermin and open the season up year around (all across the southern part of the state) and leave them lye after killing them was rediculous.
    Click on the pick for the video. It's free from bugs, it's on my photobucket page. I haven't figured out how to just embed the video to play from here. It's 2 minutes 50 seconds of some amazingly clever birds.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thats some cool stuff there.... just knock them off the cliff. LOL my 7 yr old is still crying......hehe... poor sheep.

several moons ago.. i had my step son out ptarmi hunting in Thompson's pass... we were really into the birds. i popped 3 in a row and they would roll down the hillside and he would catch them.... a young eagle. watched and timed it just right and grabbed one he was setting up for. the look of shock on his face.... and he turned to me.....

SHOOOOOOT IT SHOOOOOT IT.... man was he upset at that eagle.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

that would have been neat to see. Funny but still an awesome sight. How many other folks can say they had that happen.

Lynx have been observed harvesting adult Dall Sheep. Even 100 years ago Charles Sheldon, observed it twice, in the Denali area.

Default Authentic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnKu...e=channel_page

The guy has a lot of interesting vids. Not sure how authentic they are but interesting footage for sure.

These should probably be in the wildlife forum

Was up in the AK range hunting sheep in the 80's and watched a golden eagle trying to lure ewes off thge edge of a cliff. The ewes would charge and the eagle would fly just before the reached it. This went on for a while.

Default Eagles Control???

Frankly, I am not opposed to a little raptor control myself. While sheep hunting in the Talkeetna's this past season, I watched a golden eagle dive bomb a lamb, for a good hour. How bout some Aerial Eagle Control, I'll ride shotgun!!!

Default what is wrong with you guys?

really, whether or not a few eagles take a few lambs is no big deal, i value the sight of eagles as much as sheep....
    BUT... are we talking resident eagles or non-resident? we all know that many eagles that winter elsewhere come north to prey on OUR sheep and goats, and this has GOT to stop!!
    non-resident eagles must be limited to no more than 10% of the allowable prey harvest... this must be enacted to protect the resources that rightfully belong to Alaskan eagles.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

DAVE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!! LOL best one i've heard yet!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs down Eagles...got to go!!!

have not right to subsist off our sheep! We should gun down 90% of the eagle population to open up a 50% increase in hunting opprotunity, SSS is what I says! The mortality saving the sheep, from eagles, would make up the increased hunting opportunity & put money in our sheep guides pockets...The nerve of some people wanting to protect such VERMIN as EAGLES!

O.k. the initial eagle crack was a shot at the wild sheep federation. Not to be taken seriously about the eagles. Just more of a back handed comment on how anything that takes the sheep and puts a strain on the guides needs to be eliminated according to the federation. Which in turn causes them to put forth ridiculous proposals to the BOG.

Default food for thought

How does eagles legs and eggs sound?

Terry

I wonder how many more sheep are killed by non-resident hunters?

Eagles are also a major predator on nechina caribou. I say we put a bounty on them again.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Its a simple solution BOG needs to mandate that non-resident eagles only harvest full curl or larger rams. Any non-resident eagle caught violating this mandate shall sentenced to an immediate death penalty.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I am personally for Coyotes being listed as invasive. They migrated to AK along the path that we built for them within the last 100 years. Simply put they are not native to the region, and they do negatively impact the game population. We would have widespread support for removal of any non-native plant or animal that came here in a ships bilge and was destroying the salmon or halibut population, why not the same support for coyote control? I am a realist and fully understand that the ability to eliminate Coyotes is fool hardy at best but there is no reason to protect them any more than other invasive species. We should remove any restraints on their take, no season, bag limits etc. I would not support wide spread state funded coyote control but I would certainly support funding of area specific control that was concentrated on historical lambing grounds. The dynamic of the Coyote are such that eliminating those pairs who's territory covers the lambing grounds will nearly eliminate the take on that population of sheep. As the Coyote population continues to expand I am interested to see what happens when they get into the migratory bird nesting grounds. Perhaps when it is more than just sheep hunters calling for intervention something will be done.

I would support a study on golden eagles to see how far they will hunt sheep sized prey from their nest. If it is not a significant distance then perhaps we could remove some of the nests closest to lambing grounds. Eagles nests are decades old and are continually reused this may prove to be an easy cheap solution that would not require the destruction of any eagles to enact.

LuJon I was worried for a minute, then I saw where you said area specific. That is all we were asking for. The problem is nobody is going to use the Av-GAS to get where they need to be taken, or put in the arduous footwork for a critter that brings no money in the summer. I happen to like the coyotes, it gives us another critter to trap or shoot in the winter and make a few bucks. I personally don't care about sheep, but I don't want to see them decimated either. The argument we got was the coyotes don't know boundaries, to which my response was neither do the bears in 16B or the Wolves. We are in 100% support of taking as many as possible whenever possible where they are a problem just as we are with the bears and wolves. Not just the whole southern half of the state all year and leave them lay. As far as non native, how far do you go back to say what is non native or not. Just because it happened in the last 100 years does that make them non native. All the other critters around here didn't just rise out of the ground, they had to migrate here also. How many thousands of years make a species native. Based upon that type of thinking Far Future Generations will consider them native and the sheep will be dinosaurs.

One more thing, where all the wolves have been taken by the gunners (we moose hunt this area) the coyote and lynx population has exploded and yes they are now chasing the sheep (have seen it). We eliminated part of the problem and the another part got bigger. So where does it stop. Coyotes definitely need to be hit in that area. With no wolves the coyotes aren't afraid of anything this winter.