Thread: Yakatak Brown Bears

Default Yakatak Brown Bears

Anyone have any info to share regarding the Yakatak area. In the area first 2 weeks in May. Good time/size of ainmals/outfitters/air taxi etc. Thanks

now yakatat? well bears there are like everywhere else, they kill some big ones but 8-8.5 is gonna be more your norm. sam fejes, gary gray and a few otherw work that area pretty heavely, fejes is all over the place. there are other guys i'd recommend alot more for that time frame and a bit farther to the west...depends on how much dollars you have to throw at this project. first week of may is touchy, could be good could be bad, second week of may things get better, south facing/steep slopes wil have bears of both kinds on them...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yakutat has good bear hunting- it is THE go-to place for glacier-phase black bear. Some big brownies come from there- the dungeness crab would make it worth the trip! John Latham is an excellent place to start if you are looking for a guide/outfitter/lodging.
    As for time frame- well that is the question for ALL of us!

Here is a print I found near the Italio.The tape measurement was more than 12 inches. Take a big gun.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Here is a print I found near the Italio.The tape measurement was more than 12 inches. Take a big gun.

We call that a Cub Track, why we got Bears with feet 16" wide and 35" long, would be normal, or average. And our bears have (6) six legs, and a head on both ends.

Default Yakutat brown bears

mcreg

We hunted there this last fall, and had a genuine adventure. I do not have enough experience with brownies around the state to compare ave size, but it is definitely a bear rich region. BRWNBR is a reliable source to give you an idea of ave bear size. Gary Gray does work that area, and Sam Fejes is a little farther north on the coast. We are DIY residents so I cannot give any firsthand knowledge on the outfitters/guides.

There are two air services that I know of in Yakutat. Les Alsek runs Alsek Air while Hans Munich and his wife Tanya own Yakutat Coastal Airlines (David Russell's former business). I have heard good things about Les, but have not used his services. We went with Yakutat Coastal and Hans/Tanya provided good service all the way around. Hans does the piloting while Tanya runs the office.

We had an intense and memorable hunt. The pictures are of the brown bear that I was fortunate enough to get. This boar squared nearly 8 1/2 ft (without stretching), and the biologist measured the skull at 24" even. He charged and got withing 15 yards before turning. I also killed a young and tasty bull moose, and my partner bagged a 7 1/2 ft brownie. We had to track his wounded boar at intimate distances in the alders before finally finishing it. That was a hairy couple of hours. This speaks to the terrain. The forelands are an interesting place, and the views of the mountains/glaciers/ocean were beautiful. We found a tremendous amount of bear and wolf tracks right on the beach. Even had wolves howling at night. However, much of the hunting was done on salmon streams densely choked with thick alders. There are open meadows interspersed, but much of the area was fairly flat where we were located. This made glassing and judging more difficult. If you were able to get into larger river corridors it was easier to locate bear at further distances. We did see a couple of large bear this way (9-10 ft range). I would imagine that hunting the beaches while bears combed them in the spring for food/travel routes would be quite productive. Anyway, hope this interests and assists you.

Brannon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Yakutat

I have spent several seasons in the area with Beardown Adventures and i took a 9' Brown in fall 2007 and my brother took a 8 1/2' Brown in fall 2008. Have also shot a moose and had tremendous fishing as a side event. Have nothing but great things to say about this outfit. Also Les Hartley and his wife Debbie at Alsek Air are fantastic people and would recommend them to anyone in this area. You can PM me if you have any more questions. Pics of my brown and my brother's are in the Alaskan Photo Gallery.

The attached graph of growth rates for males in selected gmus may be of interest.
    There is a very strong correlation between skill width and weight. In general skull totals of 24" - about 8' foot; 26" - about 9'; high 27s and up pushing 10'.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

cool graph
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    The attached graph of growth rates for males in selected gmus may be of interest.
    There is a very strong correlation between skill width and weight. In general skull totals of 24" - about 8' foot; 26" - about 9'; high 27s and up pushing 10'.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)
    are there simalar data's for other GMS? and how about B bears?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Yakutat Brown bear

Been 2 weeks since the last post! ANyone have any "new" info to share. By the looks on th FAA web cams still lots of snow? Nayhting moving yet? Heading out end of the month.

who are you doing the hunt with? i'll be down that way around may 5th.
    Master guide 212