Thread: What's the absolutely best "River Bottom Gun" available today!

Wink What's the absolutely best "River Bottom Gun" available today!

What's the absolutely best "River Bottom Gun" available today. The .45-70 gets a lot of attention (and I have two of them) but surely there are better ones out there... well over a hundred years since the .45-70's development. We have the .338 Win Mag, the .375 Ruger and now even the .416 Ruger, packaged in a nice small short barreled configuration and many more!

I just finished reading Murphy's article again: 45-70 Do All Rifle...written back in 2006. It is a great discussion. In that article he indicated that there are better choices and I agree! Lets hear what you all think.

Silver Tip...
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Default Consider

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    What's the absolutely best "River Bottom Gun" available today?

I just finished reading Murphy's article again: 45-70 Do All Rifle...written back in 2006. It is a great discussion. In that article he indicated that there are better choices and I agree! Lets hear what you all think.

Silver Tip...
    NOT to doubt Mr. Murphy's knowledge; there have been several new cartridges come out recently. I would consider the Marlin 338 MX at this time; were I in the market for a lever gun with range and power.JUST; be sure and set up to reload for it as it could have a short lifespan as a factory cartridge.
    Or the BLR series of rifles offers some high performance bolt action calibers in a lever gun.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Depends on your definition of “best” I guess…..

Personally, for me….. “Best” is a conglomerate of low weight, compact size, ruggedness, ease of use, reliability, maintainability, reasonable cost, multi round capacity, rapid follow up shot ability, and lastly, firepower. My rifle rides on the front of my ATV, the bow of a boat, in the belly of a canoe, behind the truck seat, or strapped to my back. It must have all the characteristics listed above, and still be cheap enough that if it ends up bent in half from an ATV rollover, or sitting on the bottom of a river because of a canoe mishap, that I don’t have to take out a second mortgage to replace it. Additionally, my personal taste in rifle aesthetics precludes me from ever owning a plastic and stainless anything…..

I chose a blued 45/70 Ruger Guide gun because it meets most of my expectations listed above. It took me two years to make the decision and I looked at countless different options. In the end, I was unable to find anything better than the guide gun for my purposes. I have a Remington 7600 carbine in 30-06 that is a close runner up.

That said, the Guide gun did not adequately meet all my requirements as is, out of the box. I modified it by cutting the barrel down to 16 ¼”, thinning and bedding the stocks, action work, trigger work and am in the process of adding new sights.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "River Bottom Gun"?
    Tennessee

Talking Fishin' for Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a "River Bottom Gun"?
    Just one of those guns you can FISH out of the river... LOL

Well for me I think the Marlin Guide Gun is pretty hard to beat in either 45-70 or 450 Marlin.
    Mine is a blued model in 450. So far I've added a leather butstock cuff/shell carrier, Simms recoil pad, & XS ghost ring peep sights (the model with proctetive wings on the rear).
    I'm in the process of changing out the lever for one a little larger & replacing the trigger. In the next year or so I'll add an XS scout scope mount & scout scope in QR rings. If I can see it I can kill it out to 200 yds easy.
    In spite of my desire to add all the toys, it was a very useable gun right off the shelf & with the right loads capable of taking any game.
    I went with the 450 instead of the 45-70 because I already had dies, brass, & loaded ammo for my 450 Encore pistol. With the right handloads I consider them ballistic equeals.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

A "River Bottom Gun" is what? Not familiar with term or brand.

I take a stainless guide gun on my float trips, so that is obviously my choice. Did the spray on truck bed liner to the stock. Worked great and has held up over the years.

But for a true "river bottom gun", perhaps a 18.5" barreled 870 with the orange "training" type stock. That orange stock would make it easy to find/retrieve. What good would a "river bottom" gun be without the ability to recover it.

A flipped canoe and 6 foot retrieval of a Mossberg sparked this idea. It took hours to find that gun. First float trip to Alaska, 120 miles above the arctic circle, day one, first time we stepped into our new Ally pack canoe, flipped it. Had we walked downstream 50 yards and put in we could have avoided this. Turns out, we put the canoe in on the worst stretch of water we saw for 7 days. Hindsight is always 20/20. It was a nice welcome to Alaska
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Below is a pic of the orange stock I mentioned earlier.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    That orange stock would make it easy to find/retrieve. What good would a "river bottom" gun be without the ability to recover it.
    Would make it a lot easier to find in my closet too
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Below is a pic of the orange stock I mentioned earlier.

Can of orange paint is way cheaper!

Default 7600 in 35 Whelen

I think this would suit me just fine, with 250 gr. Hornady round nose loads. Yup. No loss there.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    What's the absolutely best "River Bottom Gun" available today. The .45-70 gets a lot of attention (and I have two of them) but surely there are better ones out there... well over a hundred years since the .45-70's development. We have the .338 Win Mag, the .375 Ruger and now even the .416 Ruger, packaged in a nice small short barreled configuration and many more!

Silver Tip...
    Please, WHERE do you find that article, by Murphy???

It sounds like something I'd like to read.

Thanks, Anyone.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If the definition of a river bottom rifle is one that will be used in fairly thick brush, at fairly short ranges then I prefer a short levergun, & while I feel that there may be other cartridges that are as good as the 45-70, I don't see any that are neccessarily better. That's Alaska. If we are talking somewhere like Ohio, then probably the new 338 Marlin or even the 35 Rem or 358 Win. might step up. Heck, my old 94s in 44 mag or 32 special would do the job well down there.
    Vance in AK.

The article by Murphy is from Jan. 24th. 2006 on this forum. The easiest way to find it is to Google "45-70 Do All Rifle Murphy" that should take you right to it! It's one of Murphy's really good discussions...Good luck if you can't find it let me know

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks Mr. Silver Tip:

I always enjoy Murphy's thoughts on these important subjects.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Hands down....Browning Lever Rifle. 308,358,325wsm,or300wsm

It is very true that people can loose their guns from a capsized boat accident or fall through some ice. I'm currently reading a book called "The Final Frontiersman" It's basically an account of Heimo Korth's experiences living a bush style life for many years. He seems to live more of a "bush" or "subsistance" style life more than anyone will probably ever dream of in this whole state. I'm only on page 151 of 300 and he's already talked of loosing his rifle in the rivers like three times. Danatherock.....good idea on that orange colored stock....I'm sure Heimo would have loved his stock to be that color when he painfully lost his 444 marlin to the river. In total agreement with everyone's logical caliber/rifle choices here. I own both a 358 BLR and a 308 16in. barreled 7600. Every time i thrash through miles of brush to my remote property or hit the rivers in my freighter.....that Browing Lever Rifle is a part of me. The thing looses the hunting scope and only weighs 6.5 lbs. It's the best combo of heavy hitting power (250grain), penetration, and light weight I could ever think of. I'll tell you right now....after 3 years of thrashing brush with that rifle and running rivers with it.....it is starting to look horrible. The 7600 has been a major disappointment for me though, and I'm not happy about it because I had big hopes for it. It has this frail, weak, flimsy little piece of plastic dust cover. If that things breaks......an uncaptured pin that holds the rotating bolt head together will fall out, it's in total reliance on that piece of plastic. It jams, is inaccurate, and has a ton of play in the magazine. I wouldn't even give that thing away because I would feel horrible if it jammed on someone at the wrong time......guess I'll just have to suck up the 675 dollar loss on that one or try to modify the rifle a bit.