Thread: where to stage out of?

Default where to stage out of?

Anybody got any ideas of the best place to stage out of to hunt the WACH? I plan a hunt in late Aug. and wondering about the best place to ship gear to and then fly it out to a camp. I'll have two others with me and can't haul everything on one load and plan to ship most gear. Also would like to fly the meat out of the field and ship it back to ANC as we get it to keep it good. The plan is to start in on the 21st of Aug. Thanks Tom

Where the heck is the WACH

Default Wach

Western Arctic Caribou Herd (WACH)

I would have to think that OTZ would be a pretty good spot. Hageland flies out of there to the surrounding villages, plus they've got the 206 with big gear for some off airport stuff.

Ops, should have stated in my post that I will have my Pacer with me.

Kotz would be the best probably. But Aug 21 is REALLY early. You might end up having to fly close to 2 hours to get to bou. That's one way. Hard to say, but Kotz is the best spot for whatever services you might need. Gas, plane repair, food, etc.
    Bettles is a possibility, but still alot of flying from there to the bou that time of year.
    Can the pacer use car gas?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Hi Martintrapper

I do have the STC for car gas on the Pacer, how far north are the caribou that time of year? I hear the gas is a bit pricey in Kotz., car gas might be a good deal. Thanks Tom

Car gas in Kotz is going to be pretty high too, I always figured fuel costs just gotta be sucked up on bush excursions.

The herd travels so fast, you need to hook up with someone on this forum or find a "friend" out west that has actually seen the herd close to your departure date. I've flown over them in the winter on the north side of the Seward Peninsula, DANG it's a lot of animals!

Likely not too many bou south of the Brooks that time of year. You could fly around and look for some in unit 23, but again, that's going to entail lots of flying...........unless you get lucky. Most bou will be in unit 26 still, at that time.
    You can call F&G in Kotz or Nome and get herd info. They have GPS collars on some and generally print a map once a week at that time of year. I don't think they will let you have a map, but wil likely give general locations.
    Sept. 1 is better and likely to find more animals south of the brooks.
    Or just wait for Walt to tell us when the animals appear. He's been doing that the last couple years.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Stage off of the haul road and have the rest of your party drive up with fuel from Fairbanks. Go during the first week of September.

JB