Thread: What round for a 6.5x55?

Default What round for a 6.5x55?

I have an older Carls Gustav 1894 carbine that I want to use for black bear hunting and was wondering what grain and brand I should use. Also, I want to know where I can pick them up in the Anchorage area.

Thanks,
    Maxim

If its all original please dont beat it up

The most common stuff around is the crap Remington or sometimes you can find Federal with 140TBBC.

On the other hand, being a 6.5x55 freak and having laid in a nice secret stash of RWS (even though I load my own) you can PM me or I can post some load data for you

Default Ammo

For the 1894 Swede you'll want to use a 140-160 grain bullet. I'm in FBX and wouldn't know where to get quality ammo in Los Ancorage area.
    The eupopean ammos tend to be somewhat hotter than US Saami ammo. This makes a difference original 94' ammo was 156 grains if the rifle was upgraded the sights were modified to shoot 139 grain ammo in 41.
    European ammo tends to shoot closer to point of aim than the american does due to velocity and bullet configurations.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 6.5x55

My Swedes love the Hornady 160 round nose with IMR 4350, IMR 4831. A fellow Swede shooter swaped me some rounds with RL 22 and they were also great (maybe very, very, slightly more accurate). PM if you need load data.
    The 160 Hornady RN is by far the best that I've found for accuracy. Also, it is a real game killer.

Thanks for the replies. I don't handload(I wish did), so that's why I want to know what a good factory load would be. I've read that some of the newer loads are to powerful to shoot from my old gun(Hornady, Norma, and Lapua), but was wondering if that was true.
    Thanks,
    Maxim

Default 6.5 loads

Maxim, I agree completely with rifleshooter that the 160 gr. RN from Hornady with RL22 is the way to go. But if you're looking for factory loads that are reasonably priced, try the 139 gr ammo from Century. They're made in Eastern Europe, and not as accurate as handloads, but still 2 moa loads. I've fired hundreds of Century rounds through my 1941 M38, and taken several animals with them as well.

You may also like them because they aren't as hot as some other factory ammo out there. They'll be easier on both your rifle and your shoulder. (Not that the 6.5 is tough with any load.)

I use Hornady 160 grain round nose bullets with 46 grains of RL-22, WW brass and a CCI-200 primer.
    45 grains of RL22 in thicker cases.

If you are not a reloader, and want some quality ammo, try Mountain View Sports and see if they have any NORMA factory ammo. Look for the 156 grain round nose bullets they are a great hunting load.

There are also some factory loads using a 140 grain Nosler partition bullet. I think they are loaded by Federal.

Is your carbine still in the original military configuration or has it been sporterized????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I'd work up careful to that load

Norma factory ammo has been really hard to come by, out last shipment 1/2 was backordered Thats why I snagged the RWS

Unfortunately, it is sporterized, but it's still a fun little gun nonetheless.
    Maxim

The Kachemak Gear Shed (east Road near Homer) had 5 or 6 boxes of federal 140 grain ammo a couple weeks ago.

What year is your receiver marked? My 94 carbine is a 1907 with the 1914 alterations..
    Attached Images Attached Images

The carbine doesn't have a year on it, I believe it was erased off by the importer, Interarms. But, the serial # is 32032, and the initials of the inspector is K.B. I did some research and found the gun was made in 1904, using those clues.
    Maxim

K.B. -

Konrad August Berglund
    Inspector from 1 Apr 1902 - 31 Sept 1905