Thread: TR1 Autopilot System - How Good Is It

Default TR1 Autopilot System - How Good Is It

I was wondering if anyone has any experience on how well the TR1 systems work. Are they very reliable and worth the money?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11573
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default I hope its Great

The boat I just bought this winter has one mounted on it. The person just had it put on and never used it, so I had no feedback from him. It has the optional remote that allows you to steer and throttle up and down. That is feature that I think I would use the most. It also may be good to hold positions when trying new areas for a short time without having to anchor.

Talking

I have one on my jet boat for when trolling on lakes. I love it and it works great. The one I have is the TR1 and I think the newer ones are the TR1 Gold, that has several more advantages than mine.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I have a friend in Wa that has one. He uses it for trolling tuna and salmon and he has the optional remote control, and swears by it. I told him I may add one to my boat in a year and his comment was to do it now and not wait. I have read the manual on it, and one thing I think I would want that I don't think it currently does is 'hold position'. It controls the throttle and direction, but does not shift the motor whihc would be necessary to do this. I have cockpit controls that are hooked up to my kicker, so I think it is less important than if I were using a tiller. If you take the plung, report back on what you think and if it was worth the money/time to add this on.

Jim

I have installed/tested a few on IB jets and they seem to be the bomb. On a windy day with a smaller boat you will be giving it alot of input. You do need to be a little pro active with your input.

I was on a charter out of Valdez a while back that had one on his kicker and it worked good when the motor was in the water. He was having issues with his kicker mounting position. This was on a 32' with twin diesels.

Buy the gold it is worth the extra. I used one and would have another if my boat were here and i did alot of trolling. Call them at the factory and they will set you up with someone to answer all the questions you have.

Default Great Information On Autopilots

Thanks Guys for the info - it sure sounds like a great system.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!