Thread: Air Taxi Service

Default Air Taxi Service

Looking for an Air Taxi service. Any suggestions? I am looking for a service to drop-off/pick up me and hunting partner in the Wrangells for sheep. Price range is $5-600 per person. Is that even a reasonable price to be looking at?

Default Ummmm

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmanUSAF View Post
    Looking for an Air Taxi service. Any suggestions? I am looking for a service to drop-off/pick up me and hunting partner in the Wrangells for sheep. Price range is $5-600 per person. Is that even a reasonable price to be looking at?
    At $500-600 you're not planning on going very far. Expect to pay 3 times that for a round trip; maybe More if you need a meat run coming out.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

For a frame of reference, flew into the Nutzotin Mountains (which is in WSE National Preserve) with 5 of us (not hunting, a backpacking trip) and pick up at another air strip. Did this with Wrangell Mtn Air. Cost was around $450 a person x 5 for the round trip, in a Beaver both ways. I would probably say at least $1200 a person is likely.

I would probably call them ASAP as they are probably booked up and very very close to it.

Gotta put out feelers, makes a difference in what I plan for.

Call McCarthy Air. Gary can get you in and out of sheep country in the price range you're looking for. 907-554-4440

Smile Gakona

Call The McMann's Out of Gakona. You can count on 5-600 an hour for the plane based upon a round triup drop. So, 1 hour in a 185, 2 guys packing very light, 2 hours (round trip) per load and 2 loads coming out (?) Thats about 4 hours of fly time and X $600 per hour=$2,400 total cost. Keep in mind flying is not cheap but you have to spend the cash to get the goods!

Walt
    northwestalaska.com
    Your best bet in rafts and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska.

Default not!!

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Call McCarthy Air. Gary can get you in and out of sheep country in the price range you're looking for. 907-554-4440
    I saw gary's price list for 2009 and theres no place your going to get into for that price. Wrangel Mt Air can get you into Hidden Crk for that much, but dont cont on seeing any legal rams

Gary can fly you to places that aren't on his "price list". I know he has at least one $800 spot still available for this season.

Default Where in the Wrangells...?

If you are looking at south Wrangells you can probably do it for that price, but you will still have to hike a good long ways to get from the strips to the sheep. I don't think $5-600 will get you much of anywhere in the North Wrangells/Nutzotins. $8-900 is the cheapest I found there, if memory serves. For reference, I booked into North Wrangells for $1250 with Copper Valley Air.

I would start calling ASAP to see what's still available.