Thread: Deisel Heat for a Soft Top

Question Deisel Heat for a Soft Top

I have a Hewes 20' SR soft top and am debating what to do for heat. I am shying away from propoane & alcohol because of the moisture content. Has anyone installed a deisel heater in a soft top before? I am considering an exhaust/intake penetration just below the gunwale on the port side between the front & back seats. I have about 33" of freeboard, so the penetration would be around 29-30" above the water line. What'd ya think? Is this doable, or foolhardy?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Do a search for Toyo in this thread and you'll find some great info. I have the toyo and it works well. Also Espar, wallace, and webasto would be good searches.

Good luck
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

Sounds doable, but I would suspect that you would need a lot of btu's with the soft top (7500+). I highly recommend the espar. Mine has worked flawlessly and cranks the heat. You are welcome to stop by and see it in action and the install if you would like. The webasto heaters deserve a look, too. They look just like the espars.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thumbs up Thanks for the tips

I'll look into this a bit more. I'll PM you Pete for a visit sometime. I'm sure Myers would like to come along.
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I'll look into this a bit more. I'll PM you Pete for a visit sometime. I'm sure Myers would like to come along.
    You bet. Sooner is better than later. I have some upgrades that I will be performing on her in the near future.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thumbs up

YES, inform me of my tour asap!

Default just a few thoughts

I run the same boat you do... I've never considered anything but the Mr Heater Little buddy heater. I guess that's because that is what I have and it does a GREAT job... As for moister build up - I use a "the Absorber" synthetic chamois and a squeegee. It has worked great and is cheap.

I'd be very interested in what you decide and would love to see how it works out...

Keep us (at least ME) posted.
    Last edited by WinMag; 03-27-2009 at 21:19. Reason: correction

I have put diesel heaters in two different 20SR soft tops. First was a Wallas 1300 which is 3000btu, it was okay, but not "warm." Right now I have a Webasto AT2000 which is about 7000btu and that works good. I have it ducted to the drivers window for defrost and two vents lower for heat output. We've been trolling all winter in as low as 7 degrees, keeps the windows defrosted and my wife comfortable enough to fish all day.

I am "in the same boat" so to speak. I have been looking around and have found that both espar and websto make models that use gas instead of diesel, but have not heard of many guys using them. My question is WHY not. If installed correctly it should be just as safe and for us gas boaters it keeps you to just having to deal with one fuel system. The big thing holding me up right now is the cost somewhere around 2500.00 for a complete kit (all the lines, ducts, ect.) but the colder the wife gets the more likely it will happen.

Default exhaust for espar

Here is where I ran my exhaust. I kept the intake inside cabin to try and eliminate moisture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    I run the same boat you do... I've never considered anything but the Mr Heater Little buddy heater. I guess that's because that is what I have and it does a GREAT job... As for moister build up - I use a "the Absorber" synthetic chamois and a squeegee. It has worked great and is cheap.

I'd be very interested in what you decide and would love to see how it works out...

Keep us (at least ME) posted.
    I have the same set up with a small 1.5 gallon aluminum propane tank on the outside of the drop-curtain with 12 ft hose. It takes about 30 minutes for the moisture to dissipate from within the cabin. It also cooks a mean hot dog wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes. The propane cylinder costs less than $4.00 dollars to refill and last approximately 80 hours vs. 6.5 to 8 hours for disposables.
    To mount the propane tank I utilized a fire extinguisher wall bracket. Pretty sweet set up according to the coast guard and **** toasty. Total set up $220.00.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tailingloop View Post
    I have the same set up with a small 1.5 gallon aluminum propane tank on the outside of the drop-curtain with 12 ft hose. It takes about 30 minutes for the moisture to dissipate from within the cabin. It also cooks a mean hot dog wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes. The propane cylinder costs less than $4.00 dollars to refill and last approximately 80 hours vs. 6.5 to 8 hours for disposables.
    To mount the propane tank I utilized a fire extinguisher wall bracket. Pretty sweet set up according to the coast guard and **** toasty. Total set up $220.00.
    Where did you get your tank?
    how to act in public

Was wondering the same thing.

Purchased the tank from Ameri-gas in Juneau. I found the perfect bracket for mounting it at Southeast Extinguisher Service, mounted it to the port side about a foot from the back of the canopy then ran a twelve foot hose made my the same manufacture as the heater. Enjoy the inexpensive warmth and the the hot lunch, just double wrap the dogs in foil and let'em roast.

Thanks Tailingloop.