Thread: Has anyone tried a Thunderstick Rod?

Default Has anyone tried a Thunderstick Rod?

Has anyone tried the Storm Alaskan Thunderstick rods that are available at Walmart? I saw them last night when the wife was dragging me around the store. they look and feel sort of like an Ugly Stick, but cost about $10.00, have a 10 year warranty, and come with a free rattlin Pixie to try out. I'm not advertising for them. I just want to know if they are worth a **** or not before I buy some. Seems like a good deal if they can stand up to a hard summer of fighting Salmon. What are your thoughts?

I've got one last year, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have a medium and a medium heavy in casting rods. I used the heavy for kings and the medium for silvers, both worked well and held up to fish. I do wish they had a little softer tip to go with the casting rods, but that is what you get with a $10 rod. When I first saw them I though they were a new line by Ugly Stik, so I bought one for kings. It worked well enough that I decided to get a lighter one for silvers and swap my casting reel over.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default $10 bucks you get what u pay for

If you watch anyone worth their salt they dont fish with a ten dollar rod

Thumbs down

They are also very heavy, tough, but heavy. Not a good rod when you trying to finese a fish into striking. For just chucking metal, I guess they're ok. For a bit more, just get an ugly stik, or for a BIT more, a Lamiglas

One guide on my rods costs more than 10 bucks.
    There are those people that buy off the rack and there are those that buy or make customs. A quality piece of equipment is not only a joy to fish but it will help put more fish in the net or on the bank.
    If you truly enjoy fishing try out a good quality factory built or custom built stick and see for your self.
    Just my .02

Default uglystik all the way...

every pole i have is an uglystik. my spinning rod is the tigerstik, my baitcaster is an ugly stik, my halibut rod is an uglystik, well you get the picture... i have owned no other and never will...

I bought a couple of Thundersticks last year for backup rods for my family visiting from Wyoming. Also, I was just curious how well they'd hold up. I travel a lot for work, and try to fit in an hour or two of fishing in when I can. I often have to travel light (bush planes), and I took to carrying one of the Thundersticks as a backup to my fly rod. I figured if something happened to it, worst off I'm out ten bucks.

First off, they are heavy. But in my opinion they're no heavier than an Ugly Stik of the same length/power. Ugly stiks are heavy too. Once you had glass to graphite it gets heavy. An all-graphite rod is always going to be lighter.

Second of all, they aren't super sensitive. Again, you're better off going with good graphite for fishing when bites can be light and hard to detect. But if you're chucking hardware, or floating eggs, or something where a bite is pretty obvious, they'll do just fine. And I had no problems catching reds one day when I was curious to try one out flipping.

The big thing I don't like about them is the eyes are really small (and of low quality). I think that's the big drawback (and money saver for Storm). The small eyes cause more friction during casting, so it'll affect your casting distance. Still, if you're throwing Pixies it's not a big deal.

I've got other rods that I'd rather use, so I don't use them that often. But for a cheap rod, they're tough and will work. And they're a decent backup. Sure, it'd be nice to have a few dozen Lamiglas, G Loomis and Sage lying around my house. I've got a couple, so I'm fortunate enough there. Some people are really loyal to one brand or another, and that's fine by me. When it comes down to it, I like to catch fish. And while I enjoy fishing with a nice rod, I also lenjoy shooting my rifles, and shotguns, and bows, and driving my truck, and living in my house, and all the other crap that costs money. Thunderstick - $10, Ugly Stik - $60, Lamiglas - $150. If it fits your budget, use it.

I bet these fish didn't have the slightest clue they were caught on a ten dollar rod.
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 01-20-2010 at 13:14.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Talking I'm convinced

O.k. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that most of you guys out there are completely against fishing with anything but an Ugly Stick, custom, or Lamiglass and are passionant about it. Heck, just about all I own are "cheap" rods and my freezer has been filled every Summer for the last 6 years, but I'll leave the Thunderstick on the shelf at Walmart, because someone said that a fisherman worth his salt doesn't fish with a $10.00 rod. I think I'm pretty salty though and I earn my pay by jumping out of airplanes made by the lowest bidder! See you on the water cheap gear and all! Fish on!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Airborne View Post
    O.k. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that most of you guys out there are completely against fishing with anything but an Ugly Stick, custom, or Lamiglass and are passionant about it. Heck, just about all I own are "cheap" rods and my freezer has been filled every Summer for the last 6 years, but I'll leave the Thunderstick on the shelf at Walmart, because someone said that a fisherman worth his salt doesn't fish with a $10.00 rod. I think I'm pretty salty though and I earn my pay by jumping out of airplanes made by the lowest bidder! See you on the water cheap gear and all! Fish on!!!!!

Here's my take on equipment.

If you're a good fisherman you can catch fish on anything. That being said, good gear will make a good fisherman better. On the other hand, if you're a poor fisherman it doesn't matter if you spend a ton of money on gear you're still a poor fisherman. Case in point, anybody else witness the fly fisherman who has all the newest and greatest gear and they can't hook a fish to save their life? Thought so....

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Here's my take on equipment.

If you're a good fisherman you can catch fish on anything. That being said, good gear will make a good fisherman better. On the other hand, if you're a poor fisherman it doesn't matter if you spend a ton of money on gear you're still a poor fisherman. Case in point, anybody else witness the fly fisherman who has all the newest and greatest gear and they can't hook a fish to save their life? Thought so....
    Not only does it make a good fisherman better it is also more fun to use.
    Look at it this way it's like the difference between a hyundi and a corvette. They both get the job done but the vette is way more fun!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    every pole i have is an uglystik. my spinning rod is the tigerstik, my baitcaster is an ugly stik, my halibut rod is an uglystik, well you get the picture... i have owned no other and never will...
    why would you limit yourself to a overweight unsensitive limp noodel of a rod. there are so much better rods out there for near the same price. the only reason i could see to own an ugly stick is if you like to slam youre rod in doors alot.

Default well its a matter of preference...

and i also laugh at these guys that head to the river with like 10 grand worth of gear on them. their super ultralight modified graphite super rods that havent even come out yet with their ultra secret super sensitive superline just decked out to the gills. fishing is fishing you either got the touch or you dont it dont matter what gear you got or how big your boat is so long as you are out on the water having fun meeting new people sharing advice etc.

I would check out the warranty very close. Is it for rod breakage, or any kind of failure? On a $10.00 rod you will be getting nothing but bottom line components. Your guides will be very cheap and prone to bending crushing,or breaking with any rough handling. The assembly process will be whatever they can do the fastest. If you look at them as throwaway rods, they are probably worth all ten dollars. If you plan to turn them in for warranty repairs they are probably not worth the headache. You will spend more than $10.00 mailing them. I personally don't care for having to fight with equipment in the heat of the battle. There is an old saying.....Buy quality and you will cry once, buy cheap and you will cry often. That being said I understand being on a budget, but buy the best you can afford. You will be thankfull in the long run.

Default very true

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    and i also laugh at these guys that head to the river with like 10 grand worth of gear on them. their super ultralight modified graphite super rods that havent even come out yet with their ultra secret super sensitive superline just decked out to the gills. fishing is fishing you either got the touch or you dont it dont matter what gear you got or how big your boat is so long as you are out on the water having fun meeting new people sharing advice etc.
    i agree i like fenwick rods i use a 7foot 6inch teliscopic rod i got them on clearance for 35 bucks they are fenwicks the go on sale once in a while at basspro. IMO they are the best for sockeye. but you are rite fishing is great with any rod . I WANT TO HAVE A BARBIE/ SNOOPY ROD TOURNAMENT THIS SUMMER IN JULY FOR SOCKEY ....ANY BODY WANT IN

Thumbs up Count us in for Barbie and Snoopy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Count me in for the Barbie/Snoopy rod tournament. Just let me know the time and place. Wife wants in also. We have a house full of kids and a lot of kid fishing stuff. It'll be fun to try to floss Sockeye with a 2 foot rod. I'll start practicing.

Default swift water

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Airborne View Post
    Count me in for the Barbie/Snoopy rod tournament. Just let me know the time and place. Wife wants in also. We have a house full of kids and a lot of kid fishing stuff. It'll be fun to try to floss Sockeye with a 2 foot rod. I'll start practicing.
    Im thinking swiftwater on sunday july 19th at around 6 pm or friday or saturday that week. a few years ago on a realy good run of red we made poles out of sticks we hooked a few fish but only landed 1 thoes were the days when the limit went to 6 fish. mabey the run will be strong this year.

I bought one last summer and cought about 30-40 fish . Great rod for the money...i went back to buy some more for the family and they were sold out at sportsmens warehouse...

I find the reel to be more important than the rod. Obviously you generally get more feel and action out of longer rods (one exception that comes to my mind was the marlin rod I was using for halibut last year), but IMO it generally doesn't make a whole lot of difference as far as effectiveness goes.

Im with Dr.NO I just got four of them from Walmart here in Wasilla plan on using them for pike. I do have much better poles but for pike and three kids I think they will do just fine and one gets broken so what its only ten dollars