Thread: Can you buy a boat from the Lower 48 without being there in person?

Default Can you buy a boat from the Lower 48 without being there in person?

Hey all, I am looking at buying a boat that is Oregon. I've got a friend who is driving up this summer so I have a cheap way to get it here. Between now and then I am going to put it in a storage unit down there. Here is the deal, the dealer says that I have to sign the papers in person and there is no way to do it otherwise. I hate to do that as it adds another $1000 to the boat as I would have to fly down there. Surely there is a way to do this with the net, faxes and a notary isn't there? Anyways, any info will be much appreaciated.

Tell the dealer to overnight the doc's, you sign them with a notary (if need be), and overnight the doc's back. Tell the dealer this is 2009, has he heard of the internet or airplanes? He could also scan the doc's, email them, you sign them, and overnight them back. It can be done.

Is the boat new? If not, it could be the best $1000 you could spend. Go look and sea trial it. You may not want it afterwards. In the world of boats, $1000 bucks is chump change. One small repair or "misunderstanding" can cost that. Go and enjoy yourself, and then you can feel comfortable while waiting for that day it arrives.

Default power of atty

You could also give your friend a power of attorney for the boat sale only and let him do it. You may have to have that notarized. We just sold a house in Vermont that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderpro View Post
    Tell the dealer to overnight the doc's, you sign them with a notary (if need be), and overnight the doc's back.
    This is exactly what we did last year, times are tough so if the dealer want's to sell you the boat they’ll figure a way.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default What about a prebuyers inspection

IMHO I personally wouldn't purchase a boat without having a marine dealer doing a prebuyers inspection - checking the lower unit and a compression test at the very minium could save you thousands later on. Thats based on the assumption the unit is used? By the way if you have the wrong person bring your boat up the alcan you might be suprized what it looks like when it gets here - I would make sure the unit is shrink wrapped before transport.
    Last edited by akfishnut; 03-27-2009 at 15:03. Reason: Format
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    This is exactly what we did last year, times are tough so if the dealer want's to sell you the boat they’ll figure a way.

I too did it this way. FedEx them up to you and back down to them. Done deal!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I bought mine in Oregon last Sept. from a wholesaler that was handeling a repo, he just faxed me a sales agreement I signed and emailed back, I wired the money and had a Uship bidder pick it up and deliver it to me with the paper work.
    I'll have to say I was a bit nervous buying sight unseen from 2000 mi away but it turned out good.

I bought mine in Oregon without going there.

Default What's the big deal about the Alcan...

I towed two boats up, one in 2002 and one in 2008. All I did on the boat was cover the front windshield in 1/2" foam duck taped on. That first year, there was about 250 miles of construction and I guess I did beat the fenders up a bit on the trailer but they were painted, not galvanized. a couple of very minor nicks on the painted aluminum boat. Last year, the road was better, did the same to the windows, 26' Hewes Alaskan, no damage to trailer or boat. I went 65mph some of the time but not much.

I think the Alcan is the greatest road trip left on earth. Just use some sense on speed and watch for the big trucks. Best to include a weekend on the drive, the trucks don't seem to run on the weekends.