Thread: mountain rifles or guides dream

Default mountain rifles or guides dream

i am sort of highjacking this thread but wonder how many "dudes" show up at camp with a BIG target rifle, heavy handgun, long knife and overstuffed pack, and want to hunt up high.

talk is cheap on the computer....but it is a different matter @ 8,000+ ft.

what are YOUR experiences? do you set a weight limit, or do you carry your client's gear?
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Huh?

Pinehaven...
    Your question is a little confusing to me.
    First of all, how are you injacking a thread that you began?

..."Dudes" that show up with inapproiate gear? Whats a "dudes"?
    "Client hunters" are generally intellligent and financially successful, and usually very experienced hunters. Most have hunted for many years, possibly all over the globe. I may not agree with every choice of rifle, but they always bring "the right stuff".
    Guide-outfitters always provide a recommended gear list. If client-hunters bring anything unneccessary it will almost always be too many shirts and pants for a ten day hunt. And that can become a blessing if it rains for ten days.

Pinehaven...you mentioned hunting at 8000+ elevation.
    This far north, at 8000 foot elevation in Alaska, our world is covered in ice and snow all year. Its been that way for a few thousand years, and will probably stay that way for awhile. Keep in mind that most sheep are harvested at 4500 foot to 6000 foot elevation. All of my 27 sheep kills have been between 4600 and 5500 foot elevation. Nobody hunts at 8000+ in Alaska.

Your question "do you carry a clients gear?"... No. But I would if they had special needs or somehow became injured. I do generally carry all the daytime food and snacks that I bring along. Why would I, or any guide, carry a client-hunters gear?

Hunting with a client-hunter is usually just like hunting with your very experienced brother or great hunting buddy. Except the client-hunter gets to shoot everything.

Hope this helps you understand more about hunting in Alaska.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

and...happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Pinehaven...
    Your question is a little confusing to me.
    First of all, how are you injacking a thread that you began?

..."Dudes" that show up with inapproiate gear? Whats a "dudes"?
    "Client hunters" are generally intellligent and financially successful, and usually very experienced hunters. Most have hunted for many years, possibly all over the globe. I may not agree with every choice of rifle, but they always bring "the right stuff".
    Guide-outfitters always provide a recommended gear list. If client-hunters bring anything unneccessary it will almost always be too many shirts and pants for a ten day hunt. And that can become a blessing if it rains for ten days.

Pinehaven...you mentioned hunting at 8000+ elevation.
    This far north, at 8000 foot elevation in Alaska, our world is covered in ice and snow all year. Its been that way for a few thousand years, and will probably stay that way for awhile. Keep in mind that most sheep are harvested at 4500 foot to 6000 foot elevation. All of my 27 sheep kills have been between 4600 and 5500 foot elevation. Nobody hunts at 8000+ in Alaska.

Your question "do you carry a clients gear?"... No. But I would if they had special needs or somehow became injured. I do generally carry all the daytime food and snacks that I bring along. Why would I, or any guide, carry a client-hunters gear?

Hunting with a client-hunter is usually just like hunting with your very experienced brother or great hunting buddy. Except the client-hunter gets to shoot everything.

Hope this helps you understand more about hunting in Alaska.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

and...happy trails
    dennis; i was caught up in hyperbole, concerning what would be a proper mountain rifle (shooting thread) and "stretched the blanket" to make a point. that was the reason for which the reference of the highjacked thread was made.

your reply was educational , showing experience and common sense. you sound like the type of guide that client-hunters hope for.

thanks for your reply.
    happy trails.
    jh

dennis is long winded compared to me..
    i've carried clients stuff before if they needed it or we were in a jam and it became a matter of saftey.

Never had anyone show up with a gun to overboard,most are pretty straight forward, no bowie knives yet...lol
    i pretty much give them the run down on what gear to have then i go thru it before we get on the plane..the less junk they have the more chocolate milk i can bring!! yeeahaa
    so most guys show up with just about excatly what they need. and now with the airlines having more travel limitations, these guys don't want to bring much gear....least something ood came from that baggage limit.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    dennis is long winded compared to me..
    i've carried clients stuff before if they needed it or we were in a jam and it became a matter of saftey.

Never had anyone show up with a gun to overboard,most are pretty straight forward, no bowie knives yet...lol
    i pretty much give them the run down on what gear to have then i go thru it before we get on the plane..the less junk they have the more chocolate milk i can bring!! yeeahaa
    so most guys show up with just about excatly what they need. and now with the airlines having more travel limitations, these guys don't want to bring much gear....least something ood came from that baggage limit.
    actually, i thought this question would spark some of those remember when??? kind of stories.
    happy trails.
    jh

no not really....well one guy brought a car battery for his resperator thingy at night..sleep apnia or however you spell it..
    other than that, after a couple hundred clients the little stories fall in the cracks....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212