Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Muzzle Brake Questions

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    8

    Default Muzzle Brake Questions

    I have a quesiton for you guys. I have a gun with a muzzle brake built on it. If I were to cut the muzzle brake off, would it have a negative affect on the accuracy of the gun? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSHunter View Post
    I have a quesiton for you guys. I have a gun with a muzzle brake built on it. If I were to cut the muzzle brake off, would it have a negative affect on the accuracy of the gun? Thanks in advance.
    A properly installed brake shouldn't affect accuracy. Cutting one off and not having the end of the muzzle 90 degrees with the bore and finished with a proper crown will hurt your accuracy for sure.

    A popular finished crown is a 11 degree target crown. Cutters are available from several suppliers on the net. I don't endorse the following link but it shows a little detail on the crown.

    http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

  3. #3
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    i have used muzzle brakes for years and they are threaded onto your barrel. it shouldn't be a big deal to remove it, and have a cap made to cover the threads. generally, the cap comes with (or is offered for) your rifle.

    aftermarket from a qualified gunsmith is a snap.
    happy trails.
    jh

  4. #4
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i have used muzzle brakes for years and they are threaded onto your barrel. it shouldn't be a big deal to remove it, and have a cap made to cover the threads. generally, the cap comes with (or is offered for) your rifle.

    aftermarket from a qualified gunsmith is a snap.
    Yup, yup! Dont bother hacking it off, just get a threaded cap to screw on in its place. That way you can get the benifit of low recoil for extended range shooting, but the ear drum saving bennifit of removing the brake for hunting.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    8

    Default

    This muzzle brake is not threaded onto the end of the barrel. The barrel and the brake are the same piece of steel. It is a Savage model .116 if that helps. Thanks for the input guys.

  6. #6
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSHunter View Post
    This muzzle brake is not threaded onto the end of the barrel. The barrel and the brake are the same piece of steel. It is a Savage model .116 if that helps. Thanks for the input guys.
    hunter; muzzle brakes are still popular, but if you don't like yours it might be cheaper to swap out your rifle. to cut and then recrown your barrel, gunsmith charges may run $65.-$100. the brake generally adds to the cost of the gun so you may be able to trade for a similar model even up.

    if you do cut the barrel, velocity will stay the same as a brake will not increase bullet speed.
    happy trails.
    jh

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hunter; muzzle brakes are still popular, but if you don't like yours it might be cheaper to swap out your rifle. to cut and then recrown your barrel, gunsmith charges may run $65.-$100. the brake generally adds to the cost of the gun so you may be able to trade for a similar model even up.

    if you do cut the barrel, velocity will stay the same as a brake will not increase bullet speed.
    Thanks alot for the info. I'm kinda partial to the gun being that it is the first rifle I ever owned, so I may look into the cost. Again, thanks for the help.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,809

    Default

    Well, it sorta depends on which cartridge the rifle is chambered for, and the length of the barrel left when it is cut off. Some cartridges shouldn’t have a too short barrel.

    In any case, get rid of the muzzle brake, and save your ear-balls, and keep your friends.

    As to a muzzle brake adding value to a rifle, or popularity, the only thing for sure is they do add some COST.

    They will also cause ear damage all out of proportion to the noise from an un-braked rifle. If you’re gonna use a muzzle brake it is imperative to wear ear protection even when hunting.

    Selling the gun would not be an option for ME, since it would reveal that I actually owned a muzzle-braked rifle, and I wouldn’t be able to bear the shame.

    Even if, it came to changing the barrel just to get rid of a muzzle brake, I’d do it. It would be worth it to me

    Since, your rifle is a Savage, and the barrel headspaces with an adjustable barrel nut, you can get a barrel for it, and even change it yourself, if you want. (Do a search for Savage Barrels.)

    I guess you would need a wrench for the Nut, and a headspace gauge, or a factory load. You could check this out on the Internet, and/or post the questions.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Take a look down the end of the barrel some of the built in type brakes have the rifling through the brake area and some do not. If you have rifling there you will need the barrel cut and recrowned. If you do not then you can cut off the brake area with out recrowning provided your cut is in the unrifled area. Most seem to be rifled though the brake but it is worth a look. You should not see much if any velocity loss after removing the brake.

    However, removing weight from the end of the barrel will change the harmonics of the barrel so it may like different rounds or charge weights for accuracy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •