Thread: Mousing Rod

Default Mousing Rod

I'm interested in opinions on the ideal rod for throwing big, deer hair mice. I have always used an 8wt Sage XP but am considering one of the new rods designed for bass fishing. Has anyone ever used theses rods for this purpose? Thanks in advance for your input and thanks for this forum.

Kanektok Doc

Glad to have you on the forum man. Welcome

I don't know about mousing, but plan to take a float trip in the near future where it will be needed. I will look forward to the responses the more knowledgable folks offer on mousing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think the BASS rod will cast mice no better than your XP which is a dang fine rod. That being said if you are looking for a blast with mice look into a two hander, a 12 foot 6 wt with a skagit head makes for a fun day swinging mice, bombers or caddis out west (or streamers, steelhead flies whatever)

I love the two handers for mice, lots of fun.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have always wanted to try a spey rod. But I'm not sure it would work well for our mousing because most of what we do is quick shots to structure while floating or sight fishing small back channels. Could a two hander work for these situations? Thanks for the input.

I have not used these rods for mousing...However, I HAVE cast most of the new Bass offerings at one time or another in the previous year, including the shorestalkers from Loomis as well as the Bluegill, Smallmouth, and Largemouth specialty rods from Sage.

These rods are great for one thing, and that thing is throwing large, soggy flies fishable distances with a minimum of false-casting. In my opinion, both the Smallmouth (290gr) or the Largemouth (330gr) would be good for mousing, depending on your casting style. The combination of slightly soft tip and beefy midsection make for quick-loading, fast action rods capable of yanking around 5" of waterlogged, fish-spit-matted deerhair. At 7'11", they take some getting used to, as the stroke required to power the rod is a lot more compact than what you would use for a 9' fast-action stick. You might scare the hell out of your boatmates with a low-flying cast or two, but the rods also respond well to a slightly more open-looped casting style.

Hope this helps.

I have fished spun deerhair mouse imitations for years with my 7wt Sage RPL with absolutly no problems at all. These flies are not as heavy or as difficult to fish as one may think. The Sportsman Show is coming up "REEL" soon where you can cast most any rod you can think of. Ask one of the guys to tie on a mouse for you and give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanektok Doc View Post
    I have always wanted to try a spey rod. But I'm not sure it would work well for our mousing because most of what we do is quick shots to structure while floating or sight fishing small back channels. Could a two hander work for these situations? Thanks for the input.
    Probably not, I'd much rather have the XP 8wt for that. I do most of my mousing damp steelhead style (swinging flies and working holes) which is why a 2 hander is perfect for it. I find a 11 foot double hander to be good rods for floating down rivers though because you can mend better.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post

(talking about bass fly rods)....

the rods also respond well to a slightly more open-looped casting style.

Hope this helps.
    I bet they designed them that way so all the bass fishing guys could use them

Seriously, these seem to be getting popular.

I have seen some at some shops back in North Carolina. Never thought I would see the day that fly rods were sold at some of these shops. A niche product perhaps, but there are LOTS of bass fisherman out there. If even a percent or two take the leap to fly fishing, this would mean lots of fly rod sales.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.