Thread: 10mm fever

Default 10mm fever

Ok I think I have caught the 10mm fever & need one. I am considering the glock 20 & 29, & what I really would like is the 29sf for the easy to carry while hiking, biking, fishing etc...
    Does anyone have the 29 & how does it compare to the 20. Obviously the 20 is going to be smoother but I am curious to the differences in recoil & accuracy, & if the trade off for the small easier carrying gun is worth it. Currently I have a small compact 40 & am happy with the groups it shoots up to 25yds was hoping for the same.
    Anybody shot both or have the 29?

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Ok I think I have caught the 10mm fever & need one. I am considering the glock 20 & 29, & what I really would like is the 29sf for the easy to carry while hiking, biking, fishing etc...
    Does anyone have the 29 & how does it compare to the 20. Obviously the 20 is going to be smoother but I am curious to the differences in recoil & accuracy, & if the trade off for the small easier carrying gun is worth it. Currently I have a small compact 40 & am happy with the groups it shoots up to 25yds was hoping for the same.
    Anybody shot both or have the 29?
    I don't think the 29 comes in SF (short frame) the only one I know of is the new 21SF and that’s a 45acp, you may know that but I can't tell from your wording. I have a 21 and a 22 but I am also about sold on the 10mm after reading all the posts about it lately.

I would like to know what gun or guns it is that will take both 40S&W and 10mm without swapping stuff. I have heard of it but don't know who makes it.

Andy

I believe Glock has just introduced the 20SF and the 29SF. The S&W 610 and the Ruger Blackhawk "buckeye" will fire both .40 and 10mm. The Glock and the EAA will both fire it with a drop in barrel. It is my understanding that the Glocks can fire .40 with the standard barrel, but that you risk damage to the extractor.

I have shot a Glock 20, 10mm and it was quite a nice package. I have shot the small version in 40S&W, the Glock 27. I don't care for the small grip. I imagine it would be quite a hand full in the 10mm without the magazine extension for my little finger.

I'm not sure what is mentioned below about the SF model? There is a G36 45ACP that is tagged Slimline sub compact. It appears to be the only slimline in the line up.

I'm thinking about picking up a G34 for steel matches. It's a nice little gun for the production class. Much easier to shoot than my HK USP Compact in the same class.

OK, I did a little Google search and found the SF stuff. It appears that they have introduced two new models recently. The information suggests it will be better suited for people with smaller hands. That rules me out.

Glock 20 SF and Glock 29 SF: New 10mm Auto

Along with the 4th generation Glock pistol, Glock have launched two new 10mm Auto pistols: the Glock 20 SF and Glock 29 SF.
    The SF designation is often mistakenly said to stand for “Slim Frame” or “Small Frame”. It actually stands for “Short Frame”. The SF frames provide a small diameter grip. This makes it easier for people with smaller hands (or in this case normal hands ) to reach the trigger and is more comfortable to hold.
    The G20 SF and G29 SF apparently feel a lot more like the G17 in the hand than their standard frame contempories. From the press release:

I use the Glock 29 for bowhunting. 200 gr Buffalo rounds makes it equivalent to a 41 mag but with 11 rounds. I use the mag extenders and it fits my large hand fine. It has slightly more recoil than my Glock 22 but is still easy to keep on target. It's a lot of fire power in a small package.

Yep, ordered myself a 20SF yesterday. WAY better feel for my smaller hand than the full size Glock frame. At the Wasilla Fred's, they have a 21SF and a regular 20 if you want to feel the difference in the grip sizes. If you look up the numbers, they dont seem like much (as far as grip circumference and whatnot), but if you look at a regualar full size frame and a SF from the bottom, you will see a noticeable difference in the backstrap. To me, its huge and I would not have bought a Glock 20 without the SF designation, as it was uncomfortable in my hands. Cant wait to get it in!

Thanks DW, that was what I was looking for. Plan on the 29SF with mag extneders & was curious if anyone locally has/had one.

Hunt ak, if you don't mind send a pm where you orderd yours. I have called a couple stores locally & the trade off is price or lead time. For an extra $100 I was told it would be here in 5 days, the other store said "whenever glock ships & they are hard to deal with"

Might wait until the sportsman show & see if Glock has a rep here & if that would offer better prices or availability.

Marmot, got mine at topglock.com (part of the TGSCOM conglomorate). Paid 511.99 plus I think 19.95 for shipping. At that price, still cheaper than Fred's who had a regular 20 for $630 (granted, I dont know what sights were on the one at Freds). Fixed sights, glock rail, pretty basic I guess, but I wanted to look into maybe some XS sights and mods later down the road. I dont know if they had the 29 on sale, but they usually have good deals going. Bought the wifes Glock 27 there and that transaction went smoothly, so I ordered again once they had this sale.