Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avet reels worth the money?

Default Avet reels worth the money?

Avet MXL 6/4 $329. Worth it? Looking for good, light weight reel for jigging for halibut but can also be used for salmon and rockfish.
    I've searched high and low for a better price, but looks like the manufacturer has set the price.

What about the Charter Special TR2000LD. Great reel with a ton of drag and third the price.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Avet MXL 6/4 $329. Worth it? Looking for good, light weight reel for jigging for halibut but can also be used for salmon and rockfish.
    I've searched high and low for a better price, but looks like the manufacturer has set the price.
    I have two, and yes, they are worth the money. 100% machined hard anodized aluminum. Carbon fiber drag washers that never wear out and get smoother with time. Skip the two speed one if you don't want to spend that much, the gear ratios are fast on the single speeds. Lifetime warranty. Check Ebay, they go for less there.

Default Avet Reels

I have about 15 of the reels. I have the 4/0 which is no longer made and the EXW 3/0 two speeds. They are good reels but the first thing I would do if I buy any more is to take all the screws out and put some kind of grease on the treads and check the bearings to make sure the also have grease. I have found that around the harness lug salt water can get in there and the screws can break off when you take the reel apart to clean them. I like the Avets over the Penn Internationals, Shimano TDII, Penn 113, Daiwa 600H, and the Okuma Golds. The Accurate 655 are better than the older 4/0 Avets but I like the newer EXW 3/0 over them. The 3/0's have a larger drag than the 4/0 and have a preset level stop which the 4/0's do not have. I like the fact that the Avets inside are a simple design and are easy to take a part to clean. i was looking at a Shimano Tiara but the design is just to complicated for the average person to take a part. The Avet PRO EXW can handle every thing from large Halibut to sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I have about 15 of the reels. I have the 4/0 which is no longer made and the EXW 3/0 two speeds. They are good reels but the first thing I would do if I buy any more is to take all the screws out and put some kind of grease on the treads and check the bearings to make sure the also have grease. I have found that around the harness lug salt water can get in there and the screws can break off when you take the reel apart to clean them. I like the Avets over the Penn Internationals, Shimano TDII, Penn 113, Daiwa 600H, and the Okuma Golds. The Accurate 655 are better than the older 4/0 Avets but I like the newer EXW 3/0 over them. The 3/0's have a larger drag than the 4/0 and have a preset level stop which the 4/0's do not have. I like the fact that the Avets inside are a simple design and are easy to take a part to clean. i was looking at a Shimano Tiara but the design is just to complicated for the average person to take a part. The Avet PRO EXW can handle every thing from large Halibut to sharks.
    Rather than grease just put a dab of anti sieze compund on the threads.
    Grease is made for lubricating things while anti sieze compound is designed for the purpose.
    Just my .02

I have the MXL single speed and it is an excellent reel. It is very sturdy and does not flex at all, like some graphite/plastic frame reels do. The drag is great too, I've caught 25lb bluefin tuna and many striped bass up to 35 lbs and never had an issue.

save your money and go with shimano ocea jigger or accurate 655 these reels are tops........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default agree

I agree with boneyard, anything Shimano is alright with me. I've been grabbing any Bantam 50's I can find, for kings not halibut. The guys who have bought Avet swear by them, I've been treated good with Shimano.

I bought a 30-2 speed last year for one of my Baja trips.....it never caught the first fish before a breakdown.....the clicker had a plastic bushing in it that broke and was loose in the gear box....got my money back and went back to Shimano......also have two Accurates. I would take a Shimano TLD graphite over an Avet.

Default Avets

I have several Avets both MXL and JXL. I have taken alot of 100 lb plus halibut and tons of lings on them and never a problem. In most cases I feel the J is plenty big enough and has the same drag system.
    Thats my $.02

I've got a couple of Avet MXL single speeds, but they are older models......when you could still get them with a lower gear ratio (4.3:1). They are a perfect match for my Loomis jigging rods.

If AVET still made them with lower gear ratios, I'd buy a couple more.

For our family they have been worth the money. They are kinda pricey so we buy one every year and that helps to ease the pain a little. We been using them for about 5 years and they have slowly replaced the Penn GTI's.
    They are smooth and a joy to use. For jigging my personal favorite is the HX. We never had any problems with any of them.
    Tennessee

Default Chevy or Ford thing?

Well, as you'd expect, your going to get diversity of opinion on this site! I too have a couple avets. After realizing the vast majority of our fish are under 100 lbs, we went with the MXJ (narrow spool) loaded with 80 lb braid. On a good Shimano jig rod this outfit is VERY light and certainly the equal of anything in the under a hundred range. Why jig with a 4/0 on a 80lb rod?

Here's one area where no one comes close to avet, you can't get a purple, blue, green, red or black shimano!

Mike

the accurate reels come in different colors also i have two purple six red and six blue and black....their customer service is top notch...these are all charter reels that get .....99% percent of our fishing is jigging..what makes the accurates nice is they are super light.... i have found that the lighter the outfit the more fish are hooked.... we use ultra jigman pe line you can put 550 yards on the reels.just my 2 cents
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Smile Avets I use.........

We have 2 HX and 2 LX 2speeds. They work fine for jigging/soaking bait for halibut, lings and whatever else will bite. I also have 2 silver 5.8 MXL's I have never used. I think Avet is making the MXL And MXJ in the 4.5 gearing again so I may sell my 5.8 MXL's. For Alaska and bottom fishing the lower gears are better as we don't sling iron like they do for tuna, etc. It would be nice if Avet would offer the MX, JX, LX, and HX in lower gears for Alaska but the market probably is not there. Still a 2 speed HX with 3.8 and 1.8 gears would be a great reel for halibut. I think a MXL or MXJ 4.5 geared reel would pull in lots of halibut and lings. It can be found for about 200.00 and the 4.5 is not much higher geared then the low end on the 6/3 MXL 2 speed. I much prefer a low geared powerful reel if fighting halibut and the tide in Cooks Inlet. However, I much prefer drift fishing out of Seward in less then a 100' of water with an 8 oz. jig and my G Loomis Bucara rod or one of my light 5'8" Shimano jigging rod matched with a Avet reel. I think a Avet MXJ is in my near future. Lots of good reels, lots of choices, lots of opinions. I like the Avets so much I am selling my Penns.

Default Keep the opinions coming

It's good to get so many opinions on the Avets as well as on other reels.
    Also good suggestions on jigging rods, so keep those coming.
    I have lots of Penn Senator reels which are fine. I used to think that bigger was better. But after having started jigging for halibut and lings and rarely just soaking bait, I'm now looking for rods and reels that can handle the big fish but are lighter.
    Am also interested in opinions on the kind of halibut rod that has no eyes and the line runs through the middle. I think I saw one made by Diawa for around $140 or so. I believe there are more expensive ones around, too (I want to avoid the $$ ones).

Default Avet

I suppose it depends on your needs but personally, I won't buy another. I bought a 40/2 for halibut, sharks etc. At the same time I bought a Penn 113. I find I use the Penn more because it is lighter and that big Avet reel gets really cold in the winter. I also don't like the location of the clicker. Every time I jig up the clicker gets switched on.

I had my Avet less than a year and the bearing siezed up. The repair shop said they had seen it several times before. I looked at the bearing at it appeared to be sealed. I asked the repairman what I needed to do different and he said it just happens.

If I could do it over I would have bought two Penns.

Default YES!

I love my Avets. Use everything from SX to EX-W. My favorite for halibut/ling is the LX. Perfect for jigging and big enough to handle anything I've ever encountered.

Personally, on the smaller reels, I don't think the 2-speed is worth it. I'd try to go with a single-speed LX or JX and save the money. I'm a LX 6.0:1 guy, but I have some 4.3 and 4.6 ratios too. If going for the bigger reels, (HX, EX) then the 2-speed may make sense for you. You won't winch up anything big with the higher ratio, but they work great for pump/reel, and are awesome on bait checks.

Consider eBay. I like to support the local guy, but I've also bought several reels there for a ton of savings with very good results.

I've used some, and I really like them, but couldn't afford them. I got some Shimano tld 20 two speeds off of flea bay, both NIB older stock for less than one Avet. They are spooled with 50 # braid. I got a pair of seeker blue lighting inshore jigging rods. I love this setup for rockfish, ling and buts. I can jig all day w/o wearing myself out. The high speed retrieve is nice for changing jigs are winching up rockfish, and I can gear down when the wife and kids are using the reels. IMHO the two speed lever drag reals are a big improvemet over the old 4/0 high special senators.

Smile Only one you will ever need

I own 15 of them> my clients us and abus them like no other. I have only had 1 fail. they are pricie but it will last you for life. I have had ever reel made on my boat my all have there good and bad side. But you wont find a bad side to a AVET Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast