Thread: mulchatna caribou hunt 2008

Default mulchatna caribou hunt 2008

A friend of mine and I are thinking about a flyout hunt for caribou in the fall of 2008. I have a place down by Soldotna, so we were thinking about flying out from either Soldotna or Kenai to hunt the Mulchatna herd. We thought we could work the meat up when we get back from the flyout and fish for silvers from our cabin. I have seen a lot of posts about how this herd is played out, but I was wondering what you guys think the odds are of us getting even just average bulls. We are not too worried about Boone and Crockett size stuff. Any ideas or advice? We just don't think we can afford the trip on up to Kotz, but we are open to suggestions.
    Thanks for any help or opinions you can give.
    Andy

Although the bag limit has been reduced and herd numbers down, the chances of a decent bull are still good. A lot depends on why you fly out with and their kknowledge of the area. Three of us went out of Lake Hood to hunt the Mulchatna and all three of us got bulls, My daughters and mine were pretty good and my brothers was decent. The key is getting dropped in the right place and then hiking and glassing.

4 friends from Phx went to Mulchatna while we went out of Kotz. They saw 15-20 Bou in 6 days, no shots. We took 11 good bulls in 6 days. I would highly recommend the Western Arctic Herd over the Mulchatna herd. Just look at the stats for the last few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Mulchatna herd

I went to a buddys to go caribou hunting a couple of weeks ago. I spent alot of money in fuel, just bush flying and caribou watching. Was a great experience, as my buddy was teaching me how to read the tundra for landing and so. Sorry I will get back to my point. A couple funny things have happened to the caribou and the migration or lack of. First thing that seems to be effecting the herd is lack of pressure, only saw like 3 caribou camps, They just dont act like they are moving much. Saw a couple thousand caribou in groups of 150 to 200 and alot of smaller groups. The problem is most of the caribou were down in the swamps, where i don't even think you could get a super cub or up on the steep mountains over by mosquito river, with the 15 grizzly bears we saw. All and All we saw a only a few big bulls. Personally I hope the pressure stays low, so these big bulls can get some breeding done to help the hurd out,(according to the biologist the bull cow ratio is dismal. That's why I'm heading north. Also, It is hard for any transporter to get you from anchorage or soldotna to the herd because the herd is farther west than it use to be(plane only hold so much fuel). If I was to hunt the mulchatna bou I would fly out of dillingham, aniak or one of the villages out that way. If you want a good hunt, hunt north or northwest.

Terry

Default Mulchatna caribou

Thanks for the input guys. I will definetly have to do some more research before we book anything. After doing a little more reading we may consider going out of Aniak or just bite the bullet and head northwest. However, the comments from Bill S. did sound encouraging. All the posts on this site are great. Thanks to everyone who is willing to try to help out a fellow hunter. It is appreciated.
    Andy

I would not hunt the mulchatna herd again. Last august we did, 5 days 25 caribou all cows. Also IMO we were short changed majorly by the drop off service out of ninilchik. If you want a name to avoid send me a message.