Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009-2010 Hunting Regulation Changes

Exclamation 2009-2010 Hunting Regulation Changes

Hi folks,

I just received the following synopsis of the regulation changes adopted by the BOG for the coming regulatory year, in case you don't have this info already.

-Mike

This is a summary of changes adopted by the Alaska Board of Game for regulatory year 2009-2010. This is not a comprehensive list of all the detailed changes. It is your responsibility to read the Alaska Hunting Regulations carefully for complete information.
    These regulations do not become effective until July 1, 2009 so do not affect hunting or trapping seasons that are currently open or that open prior to July 1, 2009. (such as spring bear seasons and bear baiting)

HUNTING CHANGES

BISON

Units 11, 13D, expand boundary of the hunt area north to the Klawasi River.

BLACK BEAR

Units 1 -7, 11 - 17, 19D and 20, require a black bear harvest ticket prior to hunting.
    Units 2 and 3, create a controlled use area prohibiting the use of motorized land vehicles for black bear hunting in Units 2 and 3 during the month of September, with the exception of transportation directly to and from public transportation facilities and boat launches.
    Unit 6D, open fall black bear season 10 days later, starting Sept. 10.
    Units 7, 13, 14, 15, 16, extend bear baiting season to June 30. Effective this spring 2009.
    Units 7 and 15, modify bag limit to allow resident hunters to take 2 bears at any time during the season. Nonresident bag limit is now one bear.
    Units 19, 21B, 21C, 21D, 24, and 25D, allow resident hunters to use artificial light at den sites from Oct. 15 – April 30 to take black bears from dens. Salvage of meat is required. The prohibition on taking sows and cubs was also lifted for this activity in the rare case that a cub or sow with cubs is taken. Dept. of Law clarified that taking bears from dens has never been prohibited, just the taking of sows with cubs and cubs, and the use of artificial light.

BROWN BEAR

Units 6A, B, C, extend spring season to June 10.
    Unit 6D, Montague Island, extend the fall season, Oct. 15 – Dec. 31, add a spring season April 1 – May 25, and open the hunt to nonresidents.
    Units 7 and 15, open fall drawing season earlier, Sept. 15, and establish nonresident hunt. Allocate 10 percent of permits to nonresidents, and require guide-client agreement. Guide client agreement requirement will be effective for fall hunts 2010.
    Unit 10, Unimak Island, require guide-client agreement. Guide client agreement requirement will be effective for fall hunts 2010.
    Units 14B and 16A, lengthen season, Aug. 10 – May 31, modify brown bear bag limit in 14B to one per regulatory year.
    Unit 14C, add Eagle River drainage above Icicle Creek to the existing drawing hunt and add a fall season starting the Day after Labor Day. Hunter education required.
    Unit 14C, Eklutna Lake Management Area within Chugach State Park, establish new drawing hunt for archery only, Day after Labor Day – May 31. Both IBEP and hunter education required.
    Unit 17, open season earlier, Sept. 1 – May 25.

CARIBOU

Unit 8, modify no closed season to Aug. 1 – Jan. 31, establish one caribou a year bag limit, and prohibit same day airborne hunting.
    Units 9A, B, C, 17, 18, 19A, 19B, Mulchatna caribou, close nonresident season.
    Unit 9D, Southern Alaska Peninsula caribou, close season.
    Unit 10, Unimak Island, close season.
    Unit 13, convert Tier II hunt to new subsistence hunts. See separate Unit 13 handout for details.
    Units 17A, eastern portion and 17C, western portion, clarify bag limit to one caribou when season is opened by emergency order.

DEER

Unit 1A, Cleveland Peninsula, decrease the bag limit from 4 bucks to 2 bucks.

MOOSE

Units 1B, 1C south of Pt. Hobart, including all Port Houghton drainages, and 3, modify the existing bag limit to include moose with antlers having 2 brow tines on both sides.
    Units 1B, 1C south of Pt. Hobart, including all Port Houghton drainages, and 3, eliminate the drawing hunt for any bull moose.
    Units 1B, 1C south of Pt. Hobart, including all Port Houghton drainages, and 3, a damaged, broken, or altered antler is not considered a spike – fork antler.
    Unit 1C, that portion west of Excursion Inlet and north of Icy Passage, Gustavus, modify the any bull registration hunt to require spike-fork, 50 inch or 3 brow tines bag limit.
    Units 9B, C, D, and E, modify bag limit for winter hunts to antlered bulls only.
    Unit 13, convert Tier II hunt to new subsistence hunt, establish new drawing hunts for both residents and nonresidents. See separate Unit 13 handout for details.
    Units 14A and B, lengthen season by adding 5 days on each end, Aug. 25 –Sept. 25.
    Unit 14C, allocate portion of permits in Ft. Rich hunts to disabled military personnel with at least 50% disability, starting in fall 2010.
    Unit 16B, mainland, convert fall Tier II season to general hunt due to increasing bull numbers. Residents only, season will be August 20-Sept. 20 for spike-fork, 50” bulls with 3 or more brow tines. There will still be Tier II permits for any bull Nov. 15 – Feb. 28.
    Unit 17B, align seasons throughout unit, open winter registration hunt in portions of unit, modify bag limit for winter hunt to antlered bull only.
    Unit 17C, align seasons throughout unit, open winter registration hunt in portions of unit, modify bag limit for winter hunt to antlered bull only.
    Unit 18, open closed area to a resident registration hunt for one antlered bull, Sept. 1 – 10.
    Unit 18, north and west of a line from Cape Romanzof to Kusilvak Mt. to Mountain Village and excluding all Yukon River drainages upriver from Mountain Village, modify winter season bag limit to any moose.
    Unit 20A, establish new drawing hunts for antlerless moose, prohibit taking of calves and cows with calves, Aug. 25 – Oct. 31, shift season dates for antlerless registration hunts to Jan. 10 – Feb. 28.
    Unit 20B, excluding the Salcha River drainage downstream of Goose Creek, establish new drawing hunts for antlerless moose, prohibit taking of calves and cows with calves, Aug. 25 – Nov. 15.
    Unit 20B, Fairbanks Management Area, modify bag limit in the antlerless moose hunts to allow the taking of calves and cows with calves.
    Unit 20B, allocate portion of permits in Fairbanks management area hunts to disabled military personnel with at least 50% disability, starting in fall 2010.
    Unit 20D, allocate portion of permits in Delta Junction management area hunts to disabled military personnel with at least 50% disability, starting in fall 2010.

MOUNTAIN GOAT

Unit 1D, that portion between Taiya Inlet and River and the White Pass and Yukon Railroad, open an archery only season by registration permit, Sept. 15 – Nov. 15.
    Units 7 and 15, establish new bag limit. Hunters taking a nanny will be prohibited from taking another goat in Units 7 and 15 for 5 years.
    Unit 8, convert two drawing permit areas (DG475 and DG477) to registration hunts. Since drawing permits for this fall season have already been issued, these hunts on the southwest end of the island will open by registration permit after the drawing hunt this fall, and be registration hunts for the entire season in 2010.
    Unit 14C, Lake George and Twentymile area, convert drawing hunt for residents to registration hunt. Since drawing permits for this fall have already been issued, this change will occur in fall 2010.

SHEEP

Unit 14C, allocate 5 percent of archery permits and 13 percent of remaining permits to nonresidents, and require guide-client agreement. Drawing permits for fall 2009 hunts have already been issued, so changes will be effective for fall hunts 2010.
    Units 6 – 11, 13 – 17, require all rams, even rams less than full-curl, to be sealed.

COYOTE

Units 6-11, and 13-17, lengthen hunting season, Aug. 10 – May 25 and increase bag limit to 10 per day.

WOLF

Unit 10, lengthen hunting season, Aug. 10 – May 25 and increase bag limit to 10 per day.

WATERFOWL

Units 1 – 4, shift waterfowl season to start Sept. 15 instead of Sept. 1. The season for ducks, seaducks, Canada geese, white-fronted geese, snow geese, Ross’ geese, and Brant is now Sept. 15 – Dec. 31.
    Unit 15C, Kachemak Bay, modify resident bag limit to 2 seaducks total per day, 4 in possession (harlequins, long-tails, eiders-((except spectacled or Stellars’)), scoters, common mergansers, and red-breasted mergansers) of any species. Modify nonresident bag limit to 2 seaducks total per day, 4 in possession (harlequins, long-tails, eiders-((except spectacled or Stellars’)), scoters, common mergansers, and red-breasted mergansers) of any species, with no change to the season bag limit.

PTARMIGAN

Units 13A and E, increase winter bag limit during entire season to 10 per day, 20 in possession.
    Unit 13B, close season from Dec. 1 – March 31.

MISCELLANEOUS

Unit 3, Blind Slough Closed Area, modify to clarify that only the waters between the closure markers are closed to hunting, not all the waters draining into the Slough.
    Unit 14A, Palmer-Wasilla management area, allow hunting of deleterious wildlife with muzzleloader, shotgun or bow and arrow.
    Bonus points for all bison and sheep drawing hunts-the Board moved forward on development of a bonus point program. The program’s implementation is dependent upon legislative fee changes. Additional information will be available at that time.

TRAPPING CHANGES

BEAVER

Units 7 and 15, extend season Nov. 10 – April 30, underwater traps and snares only in April.

COYOTE

Unit 16, open season earlier, Oct. 15 – April 30. Prohibit the use of steel traps or snares smaller than 3/32 inch diameter until Nov. 10.

LYNX

Unit 6, establish permanent season, Nov. 10 – Feb. 28.

MARTEN

Unit 3, Kuiu Island, close the trapping season completely.

WOLF

Units 1, 3, 4, and 5, open the season 10 days earlier, Nov. 1 – April 30.
    Unit 16, open season earlier, Oct. 15 – April 30.

WOLVERINE

Units 1 – 5, shorten the wolverine trapping season to end on Feb. 15.
    Unit 14C, Chugach State Park, close trapping season for wolverine, prohibit the use of killer style traps with an inside jaw spread of 7 inches or greater for all trapping. Allow trapping within Ό mile of Seward Highway.
    Unit 14C, outside management areas, open season earlier, Nov. 10 – Jan. 31.

MISCELLANEOUS

Unit 1C, Juneau-Douglas trails, add Amalga Trail, Auke Nu/John Muir Trail, Eagle Glacier Trail, Point Bridget Trail, and Salmon Creek Trail to the trails with a trapping closure within one - quarter mile of the trail, and modify the trapping closure to allow traps with an inside jaw spread of 5 inches or less which are set at least 5 feet above the ground and snow within 50 yards of the same trails.
    Unit 14A, Palmer-Wasilla management area, fur bearers and fur animals taken under a trapping license; only methods allowed, other than trapping or snaring, are muzzleloader, shotgun, air rifle, falconry or bow and arrow.

PREDATOR CONTROL

Predator control areas in Units 16 and 19D. Brown bears or black bears taken under a predator control permit to do not count against the statewide bag limit in other units of the state. Please refer to the predator control supplement for additional information.
    Unit 16, predator control area-Residents only with control permit--allow black bear baiting from April 15-Oct. 15 with no summer closure, allow young hunters 10-15 to take bears under the adults control permit, allow foot-snares to be used to take black bears, allow the use of helicopters to access black bear bait camps and foot-snaring camps.
    Unit 19D, predator control area- Residents only with control permit-- allow foot-snares to be used to take both brown and black bears, allow sale of tanned black and brown bear hides with sale tag attached.
    Upper Yukon/Tanana predation control area in Units 12, 20(B), 20(D), 20(E), and 25(C): eliminate brown bear control area.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hi folks,

I just received the following synopsis of the regulation changes adopted by the BOG for the coming regulatory year, in case you don't have this info already.

-Mike
    Unit 13, convert Tier II hunt to new subsistence hunt, establish new drawing hunts for both residents and nonresidents. See separate Unit 13 handout for details.

Where can I find the seperate handout for details??

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post

Where can I find the seperate handout for details??
    I have not received this info yet; I would imagine it will be out when everything goes to print.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I have not received this info yet; I would imagine it will be out when everything goes to print.

Regards,

-Mike
    OK thank you.

Unit 20B, Fairbanks Management Area, modify bag limit in the antlerless moose hunts to allow the taking of calves and cows with calves.

AWESOME! I've been hoping they would do this for years. So many of the moose hit on the roads are calves running after cows, so this should help lower some of the road lurking moose. Let alone the chance now to take a young moose. Lots of seriously good tender meat!

i was just glad to see them finally step up and take a swing at the teir II problem...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

So...the "new" moose regs for unit 13 above apply to the former TIER II SUBSISTENCE moose harvest? Can I interpret that to mean there will still be a s/f/50/4tine general harvest season?

Tim

Default Kudos ! ! !

Allowing a portion of permits in Delta and Fairbanks areas for veterans with a disabilty rating of 50% or more.

This is a good thing.

I think the majority () of this board has determined that it is a bad thing but that thread was closed..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    AWESOME! I've been hoping they would do this for years. So many of the moose hit on the roads are calves running after cows, so this should help lower some of the road lurking moose. Let alone the chance now to take a young moose. Lots of seriously good tender meat!
    It was like that a once, a few years ago. My dad drew the permit and on the back of the permit we could not believe what we were reading. Double checked in person with the bio. Got skunked the first trip. He went back. On his last day he was leaving and couple with him spotted a lone moose on the off ramp, he exited and climbed a fence and shot a lone calf. Only 50 pounds of boned out meat though but better than empty handed, -27 at the time too.

Black bear tags: free or will there be a $25 fee like brown bear, wording makes it sound like a moose harvest ticket? I guess no need to worry till July 1st.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    It was like that a once, a few years ago. My dad drew the permit and on the back of the permit we could not believe what we were reading. Double checked in person with the bio. Got skunked the first trip. He went back. On his last day he was leaving and couple with him spotted a lone moose on the off ramp, he exited and climbed a fence and shot a lone calf. Only 50 pounds of boned out meat though but better than empty handed, -27 at the time too.

Black bear tags: free or will there be a $25 fee like brown bear, wording makes it sound like a moose harvest ticket? I guess no need to worry till July 1st.
    i just noticed that tag included unit 20....

res? non res? fees? holy cow... three kids hunting bears now... 3 per year..plus mine.. though we dont fill them all. it could get spendy.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for sharing, Mike. Very useful.

Thoughts on some local changes:
    Only a fool of a non-res client would book that brown bear hunt in 7 and 15. The biologists will cancel the hunt so fast it'll make your head spin. Although I would like to see brown bears taken. There will be a bear problem on the Kenai until it is made an open season for a year with no closure.

Love the new 7 and 15 nanny rule.

The new 14C brown bear tags won't produce dead bears, IMO. That was a weak, token effort. They need to be hunted on Campbell and Ship Creeks.

Ft. Rich and Elmendorf are not disability hunts. It'll feel good to the soldier or airman to get a tag, but you still gotta hunt your butt off. It has been 25% success at best over the years. Another feel-good, but this will make that tag harder to get for the avid bowhunter. Not that I haven't had my share...

Taylor
    Last edited by Marc Taylor; 03-28-2009 at 13:12. Reason: inclomplete

Is that 14C guide client deal for sheep a resident requirement as well? That would be a bad deal. Just want to make sure it is nothing new with the non-resident status and not residents requiring guides.

strato - No, the guide-client agreements only apply to non-resident hunters.

Default Black bear tags???

If the black bear tags are free, what is the point? Sealing is required, so fish and game is already getting the harvest data.

I'd like to hunt brown bear on the Kenai Penninsula...I'm no biologist, but they don't seem to be running low on them there. Maybe someday...

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    If the black bear tags are free, what is the point? Sealing is required, so fish and game is already getting the harvest data.

Enforcement tool. Farmers & Homesteaders have work to do, they can't drive 170 miles to seal hides or fill-out DLP paperwork once or twice or three times a week. Shoot bear/start backhoe/bear gone/get back to work. My guess is the the real DLP is 500 times what is reported, maybe a lot more than that. In this area Black Bear should be: No closed season-No limit.......or a bounty. And Brown Bears two per year, or a bounty.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Enforcement tool. Farmers & Homesteaders have work to do, they can't drive 170 miles to seal hides or fill-out DLP paperwork once or twice or three times a week. Shoot bear/start backhoe/bear gone/get back to work. My guess is the the real DLP is 500 times what is reported, maybe a lot more than that. In this area Black Bear should be: No closed season-No limit.......or a bounty. And Brown Bears two per year, or a bounty.

LOL. a tag is going to change that? i seariously doubt the DLP is anywhere near that high..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL. a tag is going to change that? i seariously doubt the DLP is anywhere near that high..
    Well, it sure ain't 25 or even 75 brown bears per year. There are three choices, deliberately gut shoot them so they don't die on your property, some do.....I have to much love and compassion for the bears to do this. Shoot them and drag them to the road system, and hope someone or something puts them to good use. Or dig a hole. There are just too many bears.

It would be interesting to know the real number, yea....500 times the "OFFICIAL" number is to high, but I don't know anyone stupid enough to do DLP paperwork, more than once in a lifetime, let alone once per week.

Hope I still don't see where a tag will change that behavior... especially here in unit 20.. no closed season. limit of 3. if a home steader or farmer shoots it and tosses it...he will anyway. Heck my kids step dad supposedly tosses bears over the hill off highland road in eagle river... yes its been reported. he still don't care according to my kids. and we all know the 14c restrictions. if a guys shoots a bear in his yard. short of a video of it there is nothing that will come of it.

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast