Thread: Bear guts taint your bait site?

Default Bear guts taint your bait site?

Being new to bear baiting, and being optomistic, what are effects of leaving a bear carcass on your bait stand?

Say I shoot a bear early in the season, skin it out, and leave the carcas next to the bait. Will that ruin the site for the rest of the season?

A freind and I are sharing a bait stand and are debaiting the tainting effect of bear guts?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i am hearing differing stories... here in the interior... EVERY gut pile i left and bone pile has been buried by the next bear... they WILL NOT eat them... grizz. or balck...

talking to homer Dave he says they are all gone the next day... down there.... but as far as issue of the bear? no they kill each other all the time and are not worried about the scent of gut or blood. the times i put them in the barrel.. they just push them aside and eat the good stuff below them... i have found that a bear will only eat nasty stuff when they are REALLLLLY hungry.

BTW... most early seasons reqire meat salvage.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Agree they burry them & it does not seem to bug them oddly enough. I assume the reason in Homer they go bye bye so fast are those Eagles, ravens, dumpster ducks, & crows. You ever watch those suckers work over kill sight. GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Being new to bear baiting, and being optomistic, what are effects of leaving a bear carcass on your bait stand?

Say I shoot a bear early in the season, skin it out, and leave the carcas next to the bait. Will that ruin the site for the rest of the season?

A freind and I are sharing a bait stand and are debaiting the tainting effect of bear guts?
    That's a good question.

We are actually supersticious (sp?) about leaving gut piles or dead bear sign at our baits. Just something about other bears knowing another bear died there bugs us. Sounds silly, I know.... But it works for us

Why not just salvage the meat, or give it to someone who would appreciate it?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

We would leave the gut piles and take the whole bear out, would skin it there too then put the carcas in a huge moose 1/4 bag. Haul it out and keeps it all clean. The gut piles would be gone by the next weekend. Blood would be all over the place but melts into the snow. Last two season were like this and no problem, was in PWS though. Given we would not leave right in the bait station. A couple to 20 yards, where ever the bear fell!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Why not just salvage the meat, or give it to someone who would appreciate it?
    I didn't get the impression that people were talking about salvagable meat being left in the field. Sounded to me like gut piles and boned out carcasses.
    I've left these near several bait sites before will no problems at all. I usually try to haul it out into the open so the eagles can get to it, might as well help feed our national symbol. They can clean a carcass in no time at all. Gutpile doesn't last more than 24 hours in SE.

Justin, I guess it depends on which sentence you read into. First its skin it out and leave carcass, then they mention gutts. As for the second sentence why leave it if someone else can use it?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default I don't

Last time some one did that I had to smell it till some bear came along to eat it.Not very pleasant.

Default kids sled

we used to skin our bears at our bait site, and then just leave it alone for a couple days. The last couple years, we have been using a light sled to drag them out. It works great, and you can get them to a place where it is comfortable to skin and quarter. We just strap them down, and away we go. There is no mess left at the bait site, and you can hunt it again right away. Last year we shot a bear, and left to go get the sled. We were gone for about 50 minutes. We returned for the bear, strapped him down and left. Later I checked the trail cam pics, and another bear came in while we were gone. You can see the bear we harvested in the background. I don't think bears care about anything when it comes to food.

I am talking about taking out all the salvagable meat, the skin, and skull. The rest is what I am talking about leaving. Guts, bones, skin, ect.

Default I've had both happen

I've left the guts and it was eaten and didn't bother them, but then left it and the bears didn't come back for a couple of days. I try to take the guts away from the bait site anymore just because.

It doesn't bother them one bit in my area. Actually last year we were in the middle of skinning my daughters bear and I heard another one coming in so we quickly climbed back up the tree and watched another nice boar walk right up to the down bear, give a few sniffs and then proceed towards our bait. I have witnessed this several times in the past. I have also been back the following day after a kill and had the remains GONE...several times!

I had a brown bear carcass weighing about 400#s disappear in about two hours.I took the hide and skull to town for sealing and returned to move the carcass and it was gone.I could see where it was drug thought the bush and I slowly backed out not wanting to see what had done it.About a week later I did follow it up and only a few bone scraps were left.

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Why leave them at your bait site? Out in Houston-Willow area I see them laying in the ditch regularly.....

Something to consider is blackies are attracted to sweets, whereas grizz are attracted to kills. That being said...has anyone noticed a much higher concentration of grizz traffic after leaving a carcass?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed