Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AlaskaBearHunting.com

Default AlaskaBearHunting.com

I just bought alaskabearhunting.com domain. Got a fairly good deal for one of the most popular Alaska hunting domains. Now I am wondering how to structure the site for content. I'm primarily going to be using it to book bear hunters, yet want content than that, more of an authority site for Alaska bear hunters with articles, how-to's, etc. Any suggestions?
    Marc Theiler

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    I just bought alaskabearhunting.com domain. Got a fairly good deal for one of the most popular Alaska hunting domains. Now I am wondering how to structure the site for content. I'm primarily going to be using it to book bear hunters, yet want content than that, more of an authority site for Alaska bear hunters with articles, how-to's, etc. Any suggestions?
    sure..... take me out hunting ... I'll leave the first site recommendation..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Ideas

I would start with information links - ADFG has a bunch on bears, regulations, habitat, skinning, trichinosis, camping in bear country, etc. Probably a link to their site for licenses on-line, etc too. Might as well educate the folks you a looking to have as clients on what the regs they will have to follow are. I would also include the national weather service high, low, average, and record rain/snow fall and temps for the areas you are planning on taking them... packing lists for trips, etc... I could go on and on.. and of course this Forum

Fuse

Default Thanks Fuse

Yeah, I want to make it an authoritative site with lots of bear articles, resources, maybe a blog and a forum exclusively for bear hunters. Who knows, good domain though, 6,000 plus average searches a month.

I'd like to add bear skinning videos, field care, hunting videos.
    Marc Theiler

Default great idea

Hunter ethics reminders, i.e. don't set you stand up 50 yards from another, pull your equipment out of the field etc. Give details as to why. Leaving a barrel in the field besides the environmental issues closes the area for an ethical hunter who doesn't want to sit on someone else's spot.

Default Good idea

Good idea! I like that. I am HUGE into ethics and the natural spirit of hunting. So it would be great to have a section on bear hunting ethics because it's HUGELY important, many aspects to it.

Bear baiting tips, tactics and such is another good section.
    Marc Theiler

Default More stuff...

I would include not only ethics but how about shoot or don't shoot and bear judging? When I first started getting interested in bear hunting the most difficult thing I had to do was figure out how to judge a bear. Needless to say, I'm still not very good at it. Through all the talks, Google, reading, etc. I still have a hard time. Finally I went to a seminar from a local guide who showed lots of pictures of bears and asked the crowd what they though of each one. Then he pointed out from the picture, taken in the wild, how to tell what it really was, how big it was, and talked about if it would be a good shot in that pose and at that range. I always wished someone put a tutorial like that on-line, given the number of times people talk about shot placement and bear judging on forums like this. Man, I can't wait for the weather to melt some of the snow off so I can take one last stab at getting that blackie before I move out of the state for much warmer climates (to AZ, courtesy of the USAF).

Fuse

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh and a spot on dispelling a few bear myths....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Wiki

I wonder about adding a wiki-section for experienced Alaska bear hunters to add their knowledge.

I couldn't agree more Fuse about having thorough material on shot placement, it's also important to discuss the ethics and sound judgment that's involved that all takes place before pulling the trigger. Bears are no fun tracking through alder thickets. Lots to be covered. Having a section on judging bears is a given. I'd like to add video and cover some good information on judging bears.
    Marc Theiler

Bear snaring is in the news-- maybe some quotes from F&G, or maybe how an area gets listed as a predator control area for bears.
    Maybe a bit to contraversial for your sight.

You could add bear densities of areas, population status.

Everything else I could think of has been mentioned already.

How about a section from the field to the table? It is hard to beat a spring black bear or one that has its butthole stained blue from eating berries. (Not suggesting eating the butthole, but to each their own)
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default I'll chime in...

Great ideas abroad. I'd like to add that you make link to this site: http://fwp.mt.gov/bearid/test.htm

It's a good resource for the novice in terms of identification, hope you can use it...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default Maybe

A list of gear and clothing for the novices or persons who want to try a different GMU than where they usually hunt. Bear hunting covers a lot of real-estate in AK and conditions change greatly from GMU to GMU.
    There's a world of difference in hunting on Kodiak and in GMU 26.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I quickly scanned everyones responses so far so I'll apologize if I restate anything already posted......

I would include info related to removing bait stations at the end of the season, talk to the Fish and Game folks to find out what the most common violations are and how to avoid them. This will promote bear hunting and especially bear baiting in a more positive light.

Good luck with your new venture.....

Brian

Thumbs up

I would put up some of those pictures showing proper shot placement and vitals on bears. Seems like everyone has some great ideas for you and I can not wait to see your site start to build!

Default Awesome advice

Awesome advice guys. I'll let you know when I start getting everything up. I'm a bit busy right now so it will be a while, but I think I have a good idea of how I want to setup the site. Thanks again for all the advice, if anyone has any more advice, keep 'er coming.
    Marc Theiler

I second the idea about average temps and rainfall for the spring and fall seasons for all areas of Alaska. And a breakdown of populations for different units would also be great, along with primary means to access units (vehicle, boat, floatplane, etc.)

How bout info on different types of hunts for different areas..i.e.....boat based hunts, salmon stream hunts, mountain type spot and stalk, baiting. Good luck.

I would say to have something about guns and proper bullets would be good. That comes up on this forum every week and answers run from you need a 458 to a 223 is fine it you place your shot right.

Default Stats

Do you know where to find that information on average temp and rain fall and such. I can find lots of this information, yet it just takes a lot of time to pin point all the data. If anyone knows where to find specific information, please post links and other relevant information.
    Marc Theiler

Default Weather

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    Do you know where to find that information on average temp and rain fall and such. I can find lots of this information, yet it just takes a lot of time to pin point all the data. If anyone knows where to find specific information, please post links and other relevant information.
    I use wunderground.com and enter a specific day in history using the drop downs on the left side. It will give you something like this:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

There's probably something better out there but this is what I use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast