Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Deshka Landing Trails Report 3/26/09- ASH UPDATE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Willow, Alaska

    Default Deshka Landing Trails Report 3/26/09- ASH UPDATE

    Trails Report
    Please make good decisions based off of your experience and knowledge. Conditions change by the minutes and hours, so please use this information as another resource to help you plan your outing safely. Your safety is ultimately your responsibility. This information is for recreational use. This report should not be used to substitute for your own knowledge and decision making ability. The DLOA LLC and those submitting the information will not be held responsible for any losses, damage, or personal injury that may occur while using this information.



    Reported By:

    DLOA Office

    Do you have helpful information on the conditions of the trails?

    Submit it here: User Trails Report


    Highs this past weekend were in the lower 30's, Monday and Tuesday in the lower 40's. Lows have been in teens and low 20's.
    Weather History

    Snow Depth At Landing Parking Lot:

    No new snow to report for the past the two weeks.

    Trail Conditions:

    Ashfall- A light dusting starts as you head up the Yentna. It is barely noticeable at Luce's and gradually increases as you pass Yentna Station. You should be able to notice a difference about 10 miles south of Lake Creek. McDougall's has had roughly an inch of snow that has covered up some of the Ash. There is no traveling going on right now in the Skwentna area due to the amount of ash.

    Trails are in good shape generally speaking. There has been no reports of specific overflow, but with the warm temperatures it is suspected that some of the more usual spots are starting to show some overflow. It is highly suggested to stay near the stakes because those spots are still solid and well traveled.

    Alaska Motor Mushers Club race is this Saturday. They will be starting at 11:00 am out of the Landing to head North to Swentna, then returning to the Landing to pit. They will then head South through the Swamps, make a loop on the old Iron Dog trail and head back to the Landing.

    Lodge Reports:

    Alaska Backcountry Tours-

    McDougall Lodge-

    Talvista Lodge- 3/19 Trails are in good shape. All have been groomed in the past few days.

    1/26 The Tal River Loop has been put in. Take a left 1 1/2 miles up river from Luces. This is an overland trail to the TalVista Lodge via Alexander Lake. The trail is 35 miles from start to the TalVista. It is 4' packed snow and beautiful. Most of the trail is marked, stay in main trail and you won't veer off in the wrong direction. If you come across the landing strip, Kenny Hughes place, stay off strip and respect his trails. This is the halfway point.

    The TalVista Lodge has food, fuel and lodging available. Please call Chris or Sarah @ the lodge for reservations 733-3066

    Other Comments:

    Gas available 24/7 with credit card

    Office Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm Saturday-Sunday

    Submit Your Report!
    I Sled Out of Deshka Landing User Trails Report
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

  2. #2


    I don't blame them one bit, for staying put. It is real easy to completely trash a machine in the ash.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts