Thread: I want one!

Default I want one!

this link was sent by a friend. It is probably already here on the ODD somewhere. If so, just chalk this up to me being lazy. But I want one! This would be awesome to have up at Arctic Man. Can you imagine being parked up on the tit, if that is polically correct, and seeing the look on all the "mountain sled" drivers when the crested the top? Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=568_1233111054

Yeah yeah yeah, I can hear all the arguments now. Snow is wet, packed, not fluffy. Still, pretty neat stuff.

Conical tracks were once the rage in Europe, as were the Flex-Trac. The latter is still in production and will run circles around what we have here on North America. They have no ski's to drag them down and steer by bending the track. The track is full length of the machine. They go anywhere you point them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=47672

There was another video posted of a more recent creation as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default slow computer

My computer is too slow to run it. Looks like it might be the same machine and video?
    So what I showed is called a conical track? Sounds so scientific. But looks so cool. Really, I wonder what it does in fluff? That looks like pretty heavy snow, but sure is deep.
    That Flex track sounds super neat too. goes anywhere you point it? I like that idea. So wonder how that conical would do in swamps? Hmm, snow mobile, tundra buggy, swamp buggy. If only it could fly.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    My computer is too slow to run it. Looks like it might be the same machine and video?
    So what I showed is called a conical track? Sounds so scientific. But looks so cool. Really, I wonder what it does in fluff? That looks like pretty heavy snow, but sure is deep.
    That Flex track sounds super neat too. goes anywhere you point it? I like that idea. So wonder how that conical would do in swamps? Hmm, snow mobile, tundra buggy, swamp buggy. If only it could fly.
    The US Navy had some landing crafts built with conical drives and used them on the beach assaults during WW 2. I have seen videos of them crawling through the sand and over obstacles. Pretty impressive. They simply auger themselves along, just like a worm gear in a machine.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default fluffy stuff?

Do you think they would work in AK Range fluffy dry powder? It sure looked heavy being built on a tractor. I love looking at old pictures and early technology. I have some black and whites of propeller driven snow mobiles. Pretty neat idea too. Just fun stuff to go back and look to see how creative guys were.

Did you look at this video - Russians? It is the same idea, but on a much lighter (appears so anyway) platform. Also, the Russian version allows it to "crab" sideways by turning both cylinders the same direction.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....