Thread: boat for bigger lakes

Default boat for bigger lakes

Anyone have any experience with hwescraft sportsaman 18',with say a 90hp 4stroke,should be great on fuel,but how do they handle rough water on the bigger lakes?I was also looking at the harbercraft 22'hardtop with 115hp but it's over twice the price

I have the Sportsman 16' w/ 50hp 4 Stroke Yamaha.

Awesome on fuel, and handle big water really well for a 16' boat.

I regularly fish out of Seward. I spend most of my in the bay but have ventured out to the Chiswel Islands quite a bit, and even once made it to just before the opening to Johnstone. I always team up with another boat for the long runs.

Although not a fun ordeal, I have gotten caught in seas in the 6'-8' range, this boat took them pretty well for it's size. I don't profess to be an expert, but I can handle the boat pretty well.

An 18' Sportsman should handle anything you get into on any lakes. I would watch out if I was on one of the high wind lakes like Louise or Skilak, but when they get bad you don't want to be on them anyway. They can be worse than the ocean with the close together waves.

All in all a great boat.

I also have a 16' Sportsman (with a Yami 45 HP) and still love it after 15 years. It has handled all the big lakes I have been on with no problems. Paxson, Skilak, Louise, not to mention Reserection Bay, PWS, and Kachemak Bay out a bit past Seldovia. If I were to say it had a problem it would be, with the full canvas up in windy conditions, it does get "pushed" around a bit. I normally don't run with the canvas up for the most part. It just seems to handle better and of course it is faster and better on gas without it.

I agree with that Fly Guy. At least I did until the Canvas finally failed completely last year. I did limp it through until mid September. Have to get a new top this year, once i can get the boat past the snow burm. This will be my 6th year with it and other than a little more room for gear I have no complaints at all.

I have a buddy with a 21' boat and he doesn't really have any more fishing area than me. Just more room under the canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfly View Post
    I agree with that Fly Guy. At least I did until the Canvas finally failed completely last year. I did limp it through until mid September. Have to get a new top this year, once i can get the boat past the snow burm. This will be my 6th year with it and other than a little more room for gear I have no complaints at all.

I have a buddy with a 21' boat and he doesn't really have any more fishing area than me. Just more room under the canvas.
    Let me know what that new top is going to cost Ya. I dug mine out to be in the Rondy parade last month, took down the tarp and tried to put the canvas up in the cold because is started snowing, and the stiching finally failed in several places! Not good, but it has lasted since 1994! I replaced the clear side pieces a couple years ago due to "fogging" plastic, but the canvas has done well up until now. Love that boat!