Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yakutat in April

Default Yakutat in April

I just got an invitation to stay with a friend that lives in Yakutat to fish the Situk the weekend of April 17th. What should I expect as far as snow on the shoreline and fish counts for that time of the season?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I just got an invitation to stay with a friend that lives in Yakutat to fish the Situk the weekend of April 17th. What should I expect as far as snow on the shoreline and fish counts for that time of the season?
    AFG
    Visit this site for latest river conditions: http://www.situk.net/river_reports_index.htm

Expect 3-4 feet of snow on river banks.

Dave

I'll hopefully be there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'll hopefully be there
    I'm surprised you'll even return to Yakutat...especially since you scoffed at those wanting to fish the Situk (back in December), saying that it's "Wayyy too crowded and over-fished."

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    I'm surprised you'll even return to Yakutat...especially since you scoffed at those wanting to fish the Situk (back in December), saying that it's "Wayyy too crowded and over-fished."
    I have heard the same about the crowding. What would I expect for "crowds" in mid April?

Charterboat Operator

moderate pressure, might see 20 people in a day if its busy less if its not.
    depending if you are floating or just staying in one section of river. really depends where the fish are. i know I will be there then

It gets more crowded every year. Mid April is the start. Fishing for drop-backs will always be okay at that time. Springers are hit-and-miss. Expect wintered-over fish in the top half and hope for chromers in the bottom half. High water is GOOD for fish entering the river. As for snow? That's a crap shoot. Warm days and heavy rain can make snow disappear quickly. Higher, colored water is better than low and clear, so bring on the rain! There are no bad days when I'm fishing. Unless Pole Bender is out-fishing me. But that's what Crown Royal is for.

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Yup but work get in the way of greater adventure
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Yup but work get in the way of greater adventure
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

Thumbs up Alaska

Yeah the Situk gets busy! You can walk and escape crowds. But be careful of bears. The snow can make walking tough and water levels can make wading difficult. Be prepared to plan an cancel trips due to weather.

Powder thinks everything is crowded and Situk is a popular fishing destination. There will be people just expect it. Go and have a great time. The fish can be tough and finicky. Also, attempting to catch the fish in deep holes where you can see 100 can be disheartening. Be quiet and keep trying new things. Check ahead of time to make sure the road is plowed which it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    Yeah the Situk gets busy! You can walk and escape crowds. But be careful of bears. The snow can make walking tough and water levels can make wading difficult. Be prepared to plan an cancel trips due to weather.

Powder thinks everything is crowded and Situk is a popular fishing destination. There will be people just expect it. Go and have a great time. The fish can be tough and finicky. Also, attempting to catch the fish in deep holes where you can see 100 can be disheartening. Be quiet and keep trying new things. Check ahead of time to make sure the road is plowed which it should be.
    Dillusional is more like it....

I have fished the Situk 8 times and compared to other major rivers across the state, it is *NOT* that crowded by all stardards.

Sure, near the bridge and down by the mouth, you'll find the most concentration of fisherman...but anywhere else on the river, it's sparse and mostly wide open. Unless you've floated it and really had a chance to experience the ENTIRE lower river, his assessment of the Situk is totally off! (It never seems to amaze me how most people experience a small portion of water and make sweeping gernalizations as for the rest of the stream....)

Ok first off B. NEVER EVER cancel fishing trips due to weather, that just ain't right man.

Roads are scheduled to be plowed by April 1 or shortly there after.

As far as the crowded part, I think compared to 6-10 years ago it probably is crowded. But compared to the local fisheries not so much.

I read on the Situk Fly shops blog that the front end loader broke while clearing the road.....might be more towards after April 1st.

http://www.situk.net/river_reports_index.htm

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

The times that I've fished the Situk, I can say there are crowded portions. There are more portions of that river that see very little pressure. All you have to do is walk a little way and you will be in the bliss of solitude. My assessment is based of the most crowded time as well. If you go to the left or right of the peak weeks, its a lot less crowded.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    The times that I've fished the Situk, I can say there are crowded portions. There are more portions of that river that see very little pressure. All you have to do is walk a little way and you will be in the bliss of solitude. My assessment is based of the most crowded time as well. If you go to the left or right of the peak weeks, its a lot less crowded.
    Remember: "This aint the F-n Russian" LOL
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Hey, I never said I was opposed to crowds....

LMAO! That guy was awesome...what a tool!

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post

I have to agree with Nick of Time. The few times that I have fished the Situk for Steelhead, we noticed that upstream from the bridge and around the mouth were the busiest, but even that wasn't really very congested.

2 years ago (early May), some buddies and I took a few canoes down the entire length of the river and saw hardly anyone. We spent 4 days on the river and NEVER once saw anyone hike / walk / float by (We stayed at the forest service cabins). I can say from personal experience, this was some of the best steelheading I've ever done-- without seeing another fisherman! Plus, the best holes were in the middle strecth of the river!

I'm guessing that most people who complain about the Situk being 'crowded' have a very limited experience on the river...

I have fished the situk twice (going may 9 for a third and hopefully not last time) and I would never say I felt it was crowed there are plenty of holes to fish and while there are people around to walk around a bend (there are quite a few of them) and you feel completely alone its nice and I can't wait to go back

Thumbs up

We've been getting dumped on everyday... LOTS of snow. Time will tell what will be happening. I suspect you'll have a tough time getting your feet on dry ground! I think so far we've gotten about 220" of snow I imagine the banks right now have at least 6 feet on them. Genereally speaking the fishing should be good. It becomes an issue that is dependent upon how adaptable you are and know where and what to do. It will be different than any other spring given the cold and snowey spring... winter we're still having. PM me for updates. As of now the road to 9 mile is not open. They've been having equipment troubles, and compounding it with the new accumulations of snow we're anticipating the road being open for you when you get here. The state doesn't have to do anything until May 1st. I wouldn't worry about the trivial stuff like crowds, fish #'s, or snow. You'll get to go fishing and have a good time! The lower end is open and accessible. Bob Fraker and Frank Deveroux are clearing it as we speak for drift boats. I hope you have a good time while you're here.

Default so crowded...

I'm sure it'll be crazy crowded...probably something like this or worse

Really like that quote "This aint the Russian" -- lol...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-31-2009 at 21:52. Reason: Language

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast