Thread: Hatchery fish stocks wasted?

Default Hatchery fish stocks wasted?

I would like to get some opinions on my personal observations with the fish stocking in the Fairbanks area.On several occasions I happened to be at a lake or sandpit that was being stocked. In every instance there were plenty of large pike in residence.The fish being stocked were 2 to 3 inches in length.
    Two problems I have with this. First , It seems obvious that the stocked fish will only be food for the pike and will never reach an anglers hook.Second.I don't know about you all, but I can't afford to go running all over Alaska to enjoy some quiet time and put a few trout in the frying pan.2 to 3 inch fish is not what most of us consider for a meal. I honestly believe that fish and game is wasting a lot of money by Raising and stocking fish food. I understand that the longer the fish are raised, it may not be cost effective . Am I out in left field or does another PLAN need to be hatched.No pun intended.

Default Food for pike

Depending on the size of the pike in the lake stocking larger trout may not be the answer. They are mostly likely stocking high numbers of 3-4 inch trout with the theory that a certain percentage will survive and grow to catchable size. If larger trout are stocked the numbers most likely would have to be reduced and if the pike eat a certain percentage no matter what the size, then greater numbers of smaller trout may be the most effective stocking plan.

Default call the hatchery

I would suggest you call the hatchery manager and ask them. It may have to do with holding capacity of the facility, making room for this years crop of fry, costs associated with raising fish to a larger size, and finally available stocking sites. Sometimes a facility which can cost 1 million dollars a year to run have to do things to justify their operation. Hatchery managers love to report fish stocked as a measure of success and not fish that survive to catchable size. I have seen fish put in weird spots but the hatchery report just mentions the total number stocked.

Eagle River/ Juneau

I think the fact that "catchable" size has gone from 8-10 to 4-6 inches really stinks and is a waste of money. But really we can't expect muchmore until we get a new hatchery or two, the production capacity just isn't there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.