Thread: time is near

Default time is near

Many who have fished Ship creek for awhile will tell you that if you are determined(and lucky)you can start catching kings around the end of April. While I have done this myself it was pure luck on an early run year(warm/early breakup). It is getting close though, so here is some of my insight on it.

If you have never been to Ship it can be a little confusing on how to fish(techniques) where on the creek. Some may ask as to what gear they need. There are also those who are curious as to the "stories" of the mud.

Let's start with how to fish (which techniques) where on the creek.

I have seen everything from the longer "halibut" style poles to fly rods to noodle rods on the creek. I personaly use a 9' med/hev baitcaster rod n reel combo. I spool up with 120# braided. I replace my drag discs 2 or 3 times every season when I take apart and clean my reel. The mud and slt in the creek can destroy a reel if it is not properly maintained. I use 60# mono for leaders, which are about 7' in length (unless I am "catfishin"). As to what you decide to use, it is really up to you. I tend to prefer the flipping method used during the lower tide periods. I also will "plunk" roe on the high tides. Both ways can be productful if done at the right time and using the right method. For roe, I go with a 4' leader, large spin-n-glo, and a doulble hook egg loop. I use a bead or two between the hooks and spin-n-glo to help keep it from sticking and not spinning. I use enough weight to keep my bait in place in the current, ie; strong current more weight,weaker current less weight. I usually put a snap swivle on my main line, so that it slides freely on the line, and attach my weight to it. Keep line tight on pole in hand(seen too many people miss strikes or have pole go for a swim). For flipping it takes some getting used to at first but once you get the nack it comes second nature. I use beads on a long leader. Enough weight to feel it tic tic tic along the bottom and when I feel it stop I set the hook. A common mistke made by alot of people(some on purpose) and which you can be ticketed for is to rip your line out fast. This is totally unnessessary as it almost always leads to a snagged fish that by law must be released. When you pull your line out at the end of your drift, do it smoothly, fairly slowly, and if you have the room pull it out sideways not straight up. I have found that I almost never snag a fish while using this method. Another method used is lures. I rarely use them myself, but when I do I prefer a vibrax size 6. Color depends on water clarity. Usually the darker the water the brighter the lure and vice-a-versa. The most productive time for lures I have found to be an hour before or after high tide, when the current is almost stopped or starting again. If you are lucky, no matter which technique, please remember to let those around you know FISH ON. especially where there are alot of people around you. It will also help if you let those near you know if the fish is "coming up" or "coming down". This allows thos who may be in the way to move so there aren't any tangled lines. Of course with the close proximity of some people it will be impossible to avoid a tangle. If it happens to you and you are not the one with the fish, free spool your line. Make sure to keep loose control of your slack line but try not to put any tension on the line. Hopefully if you are the one with the fish, those tangled with you will do the same. As to which tecnique to use where on the creek, the only thing I have noticed is that roe is almost completely non-productive at the mouth of the creek. Other than that I have successfully used or seen successfully used every technique from the cable by the dam to the inlet. Just remember that others will be fishing the creek thier own way so try to be respectfull and work with each other and be curteous. When it comes to waders, in my opinion, if you are going to fish between the cable and the C street bridge you can get by with hip boots. Anywhere else, I strongly recommend chest waders. The mud on the lower part of the creek can be VERY unstable and it is easy to becoe stuck. For anyone new that I meet at the creek my best advice to them is watch others, if they make it safely then proceed with caution. And if you don't even see birds tracks remember that the birds are smarter than you think - STAY AWAY from that mud!!!!!!!!. While in the mud, always keep moving. It is when you stand still that you start to sink and let the mud become "cemented" around your feet. Now if you do become stuck, DON"T be a "STUD" and think you can get out alone(this goes for females too). Ask someone for help, try to disperse your weight(ie; sit or lay down) and crawl out if neccessessary. This is why I prefer chest waders. They help to keep most of the mud off, and hip boots(known on the creek as Mud Magnets) tend to get left behind. Causing you to have no protection from the mud and polluting the banks. Try to carry on the needed gear with you. They reason I say this is unfortunately there are some unhonest people out there and it can be tempting to them when your stuff is not right by you. My biggest pet peeve(and not just at Ship) is the trash left. PLEASE DO NOT TRASH OUR RESOURCES!!!!!!! There are several areas along the creek that have trash bins our bags to dispose your trash into.

The number 1 thing to remember is BE SAFE!!!!! If you are unsure of a situation seek assistance or don't do it. If you need help ASK. If you are at the creek and need advice most there are willing to give it, just remeber to be polite and those around you will hopefully return the favor.

Side note: If you want some help at the creek, I and my buddies would love to help you "hook up". We spend a good amount of time down there, so pm me when you go and I or one of my buddies will meet you there.

Sorry about the long write up
    Tom

Thanks for the write up. Great post.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default ship edicate

So - is it typical, when you get a fish on at Ship, to have the guy standing next to you cast his lure over your line and jerk it back to the bank, entangling your line with a dime bright 25-30 pound fat tasty King on it.......

That was the only fish I hooked at Ship last year...I was nice to that fellow at the time and blew it off. You have to have the right mindframe when combat fishing. I went on vacation right as the fishing got better at ship - otherwise I might have hooked another!

That was with a bobber and eggs just before the corner at the mouth (couple hundred yards up)...that took place in the middle of my early spring king quest - I had about 30 hours fishing ship in at that time. Had I known that I would spend 30 more on Ship and another 30 down on the Pennisula before I hooked another king I would have been slightly upset with the retard that casted over my hooked fat shiny fish.........and sunk his butt in the drink and stepped him into the mud (whew, I feel better now baby!)

Thanks for the post I think a lot of people who are new to that fishery will find it very helpful. The one question I have is don't you think 120 lb line is a little over kill. Thanks again

KLICKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    The one question I have is don't you think 120 lb line is a little over kill. Thanks again

KLICKMAN
    Anchor rope is overkill

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    Thanks for the post I think a lot of people who are new to that fishery will find it very helpful. The one question I have is don't you think 120 lb line is a little over kill. Thanks again

KLICKMAN
    I think the 120# line is to prevent what hapened to Bullelkklr.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    So - is it typical, when you get a fish on at Ship, to have the guy standing next to you cast his lure over your line and jerk it back to the bank, entangling your line with a dime bright 25-30 pound fat tasty King on it.......

That was the only fish I hooked at Ship last year...I was nice to that fellow at the time and blew it off. You have to have the right mindframe when combat fishing. I went on vacation right as the fishing got better at ship - otherwise I might have hooked another!

That was with a bobber and eggs just before the corner at the mouth (couple hundred yards up)...that took place in the middle of my early spring king quest - I had about 30 hours fishing ship in at that time. Had I known that I would spend 30 more on Ship and another 30 down on the Pennisula before I hooked another king I would have been slightly upset with the retard that casted over my hooked fat shiny fish.........and sunk his butt in the drink and stepped him into the mud (whew, I feel better now baby!)
    Yeah, I would not have been happy with that.
    I used to carry my fillet knife on my belt when fishing in situations like that back in Ontario. It just takes a second to whip it out and cut the LOOGANS line!!!! And if he gives you grief you already have the means to defend yourself in your hand.

Great read I'm sure many that read it will benefit from it..
    Also that is a very generous offer to help others,, good for you..
    Good luck in the upcoming season, I hope you have a great year..

Default 120# line

I use 120# line due to that fact that I am usually fishing what is refered to as the "guantlet". I like to be able to set the hook, and then control the fish to get it out of other fisherpeople's way. I use braided due to the fact that I can get more on my reel. I have had people cast over my line while hooked up with a big one. You can usually tell if it was an accident or not. Not very many people use such line and if they are not carefull it will slice thier line. I spend so much time down at Ship that if I lose a fish I just shrug it off and try again. Just like anywhere or any sport there are a few bad apples. But most of the people at Ship are good sportspeople and will help you if they can.

Just remember that the property around Ship is owned by the RR and if you don't behave civily you can be told not to tresspass which is dire but true, seen it happen for a threat with a weapon charge.

Default last year

people really complained on here about using braid...I tell you what - if I had a "ship" creek pole it would have heavy braid on it.

The fellow I mention above did it not necessarily on purpose to break me off, but on purpose for him to try to catch a fish, but you can't fix STUPID.....he was right next to me - 10 feet away and he knew I had a fish on - she rolled right in front of him as I yelled fish on - coming down......

O well, it was fun while it lasted!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

ship creek is an amazing fishery for alot of people, just not for myself .

Default Nice post.

Thanks for the info. It sure helps me out. My son and I tried for about month just before the end of the king run last year and only had a few nibbles . This year we anticipate spending a bit of time at Ship and Eklutna to catch a king.
    We did encounter a few rude guy's just walking in front of us and I told my son that's what not to do. I kept waiting for him to cast and snag on of those guy's waders since he did get upset a couple times.
    Also, since we haven't been able to fish the famed Kenai yet we're waiting somewhat impatiently right now. Getting things ready now so when it time...YAHOOOOOOOOO
    Thanks again for the info

Default Urban Fishery

Thx for the explanation and recommendations. The information is appreciated by all especially the safety precautions. It is a unique fishery, have a good summer.

Quote Originally Posted by doris564 View Post
    lace wig began as the best kept secret in hair styling innovation for celebrities. Now full lace wigsare available for the convenience and affordability of the every day diva. Lace wigs offer a semipermanentsolution to hair replacement. lace front wig is designed to look natural, as if you’re not wearing a wig at all. The lace is attached to the perimeter of the natural hairline, creating a natural looking hair line and a realistic looking scalp. You can manage human hair lace wigs just as your own human hair wig.