Thread: Honda BF25A power troubles

Default Honda BF25A power troubles

I took my honda out of storage. BF25A. At full throttle on my skiff if is underpowered. When I open the choke a little it gets a lot more power.
    What process should I do to figure this little bugger out.

fyi the fuel was from the fall but i stabilized it .

Default Do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by tah View Post
    I took my honda out of storage. BF25A. At full throttle on my skiff if is underpowered. When I open the choke a little it gets a lot more power.
    What process should I do to figure this little bugger out.

fyi the fuel was from the fall but i stabilized it .
    Your choke should be wide open after it is warmed up. Do you mean when you close the choke a little? If so, it sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem. Maybe the pump or filter?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Doug,
    My mistake.
    After the engine is warmed up and the I close the choke the engine is underpowered at full throttle.
    If i then pull out the choke, close it, at full throttle, I get more power.

It sounds like you think the engine is running lean. Could I get the same symptom with old fuel?

What should be my next step in figuring it out?

thanks for your time,
    thomas

Default I suppose

It could be the fuel, but I kinda doubt it. If the fuel is old, it may be the filter is varnished. Have you tried to pump the pressure bulb at wide open throttle?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

i did try that. it made a very minor difference.

Default It could be old fuel....

but probably not, I've overwintered my Honda engines for many years with treated fuel in them with no problem. I do agree it is a fuel problem, you should change the filter first, and the spark plugs. Have you tried contacting your dealer? I have a number for the Honda Factory Service Rep in Seattle, nice guy, PM me if you want the number.

Default Drain Fuel Bowl ?

I had water splash up over the back and land on the tank vent which sucked a small amount in. When the water got to the carb my 25hp Honda started acting up. Sad news was I was 12 miles out of Whittier on the North side the bay. Had to row for 3 hours to get over near South side to be seen.
    Took it to Honda guy, with out trying anything he opened the ports on the bottom of the fuel bowl and drained it then pumped fresh fuel in to flush.
    Thing started and ran like a sewing machine on the 2nd pull.

He said they don't like any water or dirty in the card at all, jet opening is way to small.
    I add a small amount of NAPA Thermo Aid to combat water!

Default all sound advice

not the same outboard or even a 4 stroke, but we've been working on a 1986 45 Johnson to get it running; it was running fine when on the boat, we removed it and laid it horizontal on the ground to work on the boat; when re-installed, no run. My buddy had an identical motor blow up on him on which he saved all the good parts so we swapped out the carb package, still didn't run, but we put back in the old plugs and it fired and ran fine on the 2nd pull.

Our issues where: lack of fuel flow and correctly gapped plugs, was a good lesson.
    Jim

PS----just thought that maybe you might be getting a little air in/around fuel connectors or the line/bulb? Especially if that stuff is stored in cold weather, the rubber gets stiff and cracks sometimes.