Thread: Truck/Boat at yukon/haul road bridge

Default Truck/Boat at yukon/haul road bridge

Has any one ever had trouble with leaving truck/boat trailer at the yukon/haul road bridge while down river hunting?

THX ..for any info...

Dave

Default Knock on wood

I haven't experienced any problems in the past but crime is everywhere. I've only been out on short trips, 3-4 days.

Default no problems

Never had problems there I don't leave things unlocked anymore anywhere after losing items in the bed of my truck a few years ago.

Never had any problems at the bridge and I have used the access numerous times over the years.

No issue in 4 trips.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thx...for the info guys!

Default Owl Damage

The only trouble I had in four trips was an owl took a liking to my BRAND NEW F-350 one year and scratched it up pretty good. How do I know it was on owl? It was sitting on it when I returned, did not want to leave and had made deposits from both ends!

I've had no problems myself.And find the ppl there very helpful.Daniel

Default bridge, parking, services

The food is good in the restaurant. Rooms if needed are comfortable, but the place is a bit noisy, so might want ear plugs. Gas is expensive, so plan accordingly. We have not needed tire service the last few years so I don't know if they keep a mechanic on site or not anymore. Parking can be tight, but you can always find a spot if you are willing to walk. Remember, launching and picking, there may be people waiting. Don't go down the launch without being ready to get the boat in or out right away. I know, basic launching 101, but seems about every year somebody forgets the rules. May be because the place seems so remote. The only vehicle problems we have had were tires that went flat while we were gone from slow leaks, and dead batteries from operator error, i.e. being in too big of a hurry.
    I hear there is a place further up north that also cooks, and has gas. I think they are just a few miles further. Might be worth checking out for the extra services.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    The food is good in the restaurant. Rooms if needed are comfortable, but the place is a bit noisy, so might want ear plugs. Gas is expensive, so plan accordingly. We have not needed tire service the last few years so I don't know if they keep a mechanic on site or not anymore. Parking can be tight, but you can always find a spot if you are willing to walk. Remember, launching and picking, there may be people waiting. Don't go down the launch without being ready to get the boat in or out right away. I know, basic launching 101, but seems about every year somebody forgets the rules. May be because the place seems so remote. The only vehicle problems we have had were tires that went flat while we were gone from slow leaks, and dead batteries from operator error, i.e. being in too big of a hurry.
    I hear there is a place further up north that also cooks, and has gas. I think they are just a few miles further. Might be worth checking out for the extra services.
    Never had a problem launching myself. I just wait it out and double check everything.The only ppl I've seen get impatient where those not from there. And I so agree on the food there,we kept going there for victory dinners after we harvested a few bears. BUt keep in mind your river travel time and what the hours are at the restaurant.
    And like you said only a few miles north on the right side of the road is another place to get some food. Huge area to park also.Speaking of parking at the Yukon, the state of Alaska is building a BIG parking are between the two boat launches. Should be done this year from what I was told,If not it was a little hassel launching lats spring due to how narrow the access was at the lower launch along with all that nasty mud associated with them working the new parking area.
    I had 3 or 4 flats last year,s o it was a good thing I bought two spares each for the truck and the boat.I also hauled up a floor jack to make changing tires easier.Flast all occured where they blasted rock and where doing road repairs. The rock was like razors.......they'd slice through sidewalls like melted butter.Other than that My 1st year up there was a freaking blast, and did I mention we harvested 6 bears? See ya up there.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

if you have a windshield make sure its covered and the bow if you have a pretty paint job.

My truck has sat there for 48 days total now in 4 trips and never had a problem yet. Good food and I make it there in about 10 hours from Wasilla.

Default same

Haven't had a problem and really enjoyed the extra parking they put in. Another ramp would be great. I really haven't run into anyone there that has made me nervous about leaving a truck and trailer there for a few weeks.

I've never had trouble at the bridge either. I don't leave anything of value in my truck.
    I had two cans of gas stolen from under my plane on the Sheenjek River that were covered with a tarp (I didn't want to leave gas cans inside my plane). That was a shocker. What was worse, I found out it was a guy that worked for the FAA! In the old days, that would've been a hanging offense. I barely made it back to Ft Yukon, then had to spend the night because the pumps were closed. The next day was socked-in and forecasted to be for the next few days. So I hopped on a Warbelow's scheduled flight back to Fbx, and went back for my plane when the weather was better. When I got there, someone had keyed the whole side of my plane parked at the ramp. Just wasn't my trip I guess.
    You never know.....