Thread: EO - Shriming permit required in 2009 - No commercial season in 2009

Default EO - Shriming permit required in 2009 - No commercial season in 2009

At the March 16-20, 2009, meeting in Anchorage the Board of Fisheries approved a Pot Shrimp Management Plan for Prince William Sound that requires anglers to have a permit in their possession when fishing for shrimp. The plan relies on department surveys to determine the harvestable surplus of shrimp available in Prince William Sound each year. The Board allocated 40% of the allowable harvest to the commercial fishery and 60% to the non-commercial (sport, personal use, and subsistence) fisheries.
    In addition, the Board established a threshold of 110,000 pounds necessary to open a commercial fishery. Data collected during the departmentís surveys set the 2009 harvest level at 96,500 pounds. Therefore, a commercial pot shrimp fishery will not take place in 2009.

To collect more timely data from the noncommercial fisheries, a permit will be required to participate in those fisheries. There is no fee for the permit and they should be available at ADF&G offices by April 2. The number of pots, seasons, and open waters remain unchanged from previous years.

For more information on the noncommercial fisheries and the permit requirement, please contact Dan Bosch in Anchorage at (907) 267-2153. For questions on the Pot Shrimp Management Plan and regulations for the commercial fishery, please contact Charlie Trowbridge in Homer at (907) 235-8191.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/eonr/nr.cfm?id=1045
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Great Information

Great information - thats a relief that the PWS boaters get one more season before its cleaned out by the commercial fleet.
    With a rotating system I sure don't see how they think they can pull 110,000 lbs out of one bay without total depletion of the stocks for that bay? I guess time will tell.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    Great information - thats a relief that the PWS boaters get one more season before its cleaned out by the commercial fleet.
    With a rotating system I sure don't see how they think they can pull 110,000 lbs out of one bay without total depletion of the stocks for that bay? I guess time will tell.
    Where do you get that they will take 110,00lbs out of one bay???? I'd like to know what bay has that many shrimp in it, i'd get my years supply in one day fishing !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Correction - 44,000 lbs for commercial shrimp

It's my understanding based on previous threads that the base for a commercial season will be 110,000 pounds - Am I reading this wrong.
    I was told the requirement would be to setup three or four areas and the commercial fleet would be rotated in those areas on an annual basis.

Oops - I think they meant the total harvest level would be 110,00 lbs
    and the commercial catch would be 40% of that. That's 44,000 lbs out of one area for commercial - sounds like a lot to me for one area, I sure hope they have there science right.

Quote:
    In addition, the Board established a threshold of 110,000 pounds necessary to open a commercial fishery. Data collected during the departmentís surveys set the 2009 harvest level at 96,500 pounds. Therefore, a commercial pot shrimp fishery will not take place in 2009.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Thumbs up

I for one am glad to see permitting for P/U folks it'll give us some valuable data, sounds like the comm guys got the short end of the stick on this one though, 40% allocation compared to 60% P/U is probably a lot less than those looking at permits want to see. Perhaps ADF&G and BOF can manage with sport fishermen in mind afterall
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

akfishnut, check out the fishing areas on page 5 of this link: http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/f...-proposals.pdf

It looks like they are dividing up PWS into thirds along a noth south axis.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Honesty is the Key!

I wonder, if we caught a proposed 110,000lb this coming year would they even let the commercial guys in? Maybe they'd realize theres no room for a commercial fishery?
    Be sure to fill out your surveys Honestly.
    Mike

I may be wrong, but if sport fishers catch that much shrimp, then that would justify an com. opener because of the abundance of shrimp? The less reported, the better? They also want to leave their pots in the water even when not fishing with the doors open and no bait, clogging up the areas for sport fisher. If you like shrimping, you should look at the proposals that the com. guys are asking for, and look at the historical data of catch numbers and how it declined even be the spill shut it down. Make an informed decision and make it known to the board. The comm. guys seem to make the meetings, while there is little voice from the sport guys there.

As someone that (formerly) had to rely on harvest data to make management/allocation decisions, I would urge folks to not under or over report anything. In the first place, you could (and should) be cited for falsifying records...otherwise you're just confusing things. Under/over reporting cuts both ways.

Thanks for being a voice of reason, MRFISH.

Default Voices of reason

I was not trying to advocate to report incorrect numbers. I was just responding to Alasgun post. I should have said less caught, not "reported". We should always report correctly, so it should be obvious, but to some it is not. I do not know how the different harvest numbers would affect p/u or comm. fishing. That is why there were ????? marks. I think that it possable for both to use PWS, but some of the proposals made by com guys are overboard. I am aware of the "ask for the world" logic, but I feel that this fishery should be slowly implemented to avoid radical depletion of stocks.

Default What shrimp?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think there is enough of a population to allow for a commercial opener. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting a commercial opening for rainbows on the Kenia river...

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't think there is enough of a population to allow for a commercial opener. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting a commercial opening for rainbows on the Kenia river...
    They do have a commercial fishery for rainbows on the kenai just that its done with guide boats and the fish have two feet when they walk into the boats It goes on with salmon & halibut too

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Agreed, guides are commercial fishing.