Thread: $64,000 Question

Default $64,000 Question

If a person participates in a subsistence fishery - say at Main Bay, and harvests a limit of salmon, can that person then dipnet the Kenai and catch that limit in addition to the subsistence limit????

Good question! Offhand, I don't know. The PU dipnet fishery is controled by the SportFish division while the subsistance fishery is under Comm Fish.

It is my uinderstanding that a person could IN THEORY dipnet both limits of Copper and Kenai. However, that is a LOT of fish especially for a family.

That said, let me know if youa re trying to do it

The link below contains federal subsistence regulations. While I haven't looked at every area, PWS and Cook Inlet area regulations mention accumulation of daily limits and/or accumulation of seasonal limits.

http://alaska.fws.gov/asm/law.cfml?law=1&fishyr=2008

Default akkona

I was wondering about the State subsistence/PU regs. I'm not one of the federally privileged... I mean qualified... subsistence users, living in an urban area and all...

Big Dipper,

It all depends on which area you are fishing. Each area has regulations unique to its fishery, whether its subsistence, personal use, or sport. In PWS, rod and reel is not a legal gear type for subsistence fishing. But if you participate in a subsistence fishery in PWS using legal gear (ex. fish wheel in Glennallen Subdistrict, or seine in PWS Southwestern District) that would not preclude you from participating in the Cook Inlet personal use fishery. There are some regulations under subsistence that state a person may not take or possess certain fish (ex. halibut, rockfish, etc) under sport fishing regulations on the same day.

In Cook Inlet households may not have both the Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Salmon Permit (which contains Kenai River dipnetting, Kasilof River dipnetting, Kasilof River set gillnetting, and Fish Creek dipnetting) and the Kachemak Bay Coho Salmon Set Gillnet Permit. Households must choose one or the other permit.

Households that have more than one Upper Cook Inlet personal use permit, or that have both the Upper Cook Inlet and the Kachemak Bay coho set gillnet permit may be subject to fines and loss of future personal use fishing privileges.

Households are not limited to choosing between a personal permit for the Chitna dipnet fishery and the Cook Inlet dipnet fishery.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    In Cook Inlet households may not have both the Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Salmon Permit (which contains Kenai River dipnetting, Kasilof River dipnetting, Kasilof River set gillnetting, and Fish Creek dipnetting) and the Kachemak Bay Coho Salmon Set Gillnet Permit. Households must choose one or the other permit.
    Both of these fisheries are Personal Use and are regulated by Sport Fish. It is my understanding, from a phone call a year ago, that there are subsistance gill net areas in the State that are open to any and all residents of the State,*cough*Kodiak*cough*.

Don't call any area's Sport Fish office about this, they'll say they don't know. You have to talk to the Commerical Fish people.

Default Subsistence and PU

It is my understanding that the Main Bay area of Prince William Sound is, as of this year, open to state subsistence (anyone can participate) with either a 50 fathom (300 foot) seine or gillnet. I can't find anything that says if I catch a subsistence limit in Main Bay, that I can't also dipnet a household limit on the Kenai River (or Copper River, for that matter). The sockeye run in Main Bay is about a month earlier than the Kenai, so it really provides a great opportunity to maximize harvest potential. Take all you can, use all you take.

I'm working on a roller for my hewes, that I hope will work with the gillnet. Anyone know what color webbing would work the best? I use the basic brown/grey for the Kenai. Is there a better color in clear water?
    Last edited by Big Dipper; 03-27-2009 at 13:37. Reason: Typo

Default BTW,Thanks.

Thanks for the info akkona and .338! I'm looking forward to a smoker full of salmon this summer. I thought I would try making dried/smoked fish for hunting this fall, jerky style. I think it would be great for sheep hunting - get your protein and replenish salt and minerals expended climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Both of these fisheries are Personal Use and are regulated by Sport Fish. It is my understanding, from a phone call a year ago, that there are subsistance gill net areas in the State that are open to any and all residents of the State,*cough*Kodiak*cough*.

Don't call any area's Sport Fish office about this, they'll say they don't know. You have to talk to the Commerical Fish people.
    Personal use fisheries that use gillnets are managed by the Division of Commercial Fisheries, this includes the Kachemak Bay coho salmon gillnet fishery and the Kasilof River gillnet fishery. Personal use fisheries that occur in the freshwaters and don't use a gillnet are generally managed by Sport Fish.

Big Dipper,
    Where did you see that Main Bay was going to be Subsistence?
    Thanks for info

If I read the subsistance regs correctly, the only folks eligable for that subsistance fishery are residents of the area. I just can't see those folks boating to whittier and driving to Kenai to dipnet, when they can just fish with their rods in PWS, should their gilnets not provide enough fish.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    Personal use fisheries that use gillnets are managed by the Division of Commercial Fisheries, this includes the Kachemak Bay coho salmon gillnet fishery and the Kasilof River gillnet fishery. Personal use fisheries that occur in the freshwaters and don't use a gillnet are generally managed by Sport Fish.
    I'm sorry, since it's in the Sport Fish regs, and doesn't mention getting a permit from the Commercial Fisheries Division I thought it was run by Sport Fish.

Default Main Bay

The Board of Fisheries made a customary and traditional use finding for Prince William Sound at the December 2008 meeting in Cordova. The proposed regs should be out soon - I think they go into effect on July 1, 2009. I'm not exactly sure what areas will be open, but I do know that all Alaska residents can participate. Legal gear is a 50 fathom gillnet or seine. FYI, setnetters in Cook Inlet are limited to something like 25 or 35 fathoms - so it is quite a bit of net. The PU fishery in the Inlet is, I believe, limited to a 10 fathom net. Also, you can drift with the net in the Sound - you don't have to set it with an anchor. Double check the regs before you charge out there. I'm planning on loading the freezer with reds and shrimp this summer!!

If you subsistence fish in main bay here are some tips,

-Have you Ps and Qs together as far as permits and such because you will have a visit from the troopers because someone living there will definately call you in
    -Don't fish during a commerical opener
    -Be courteous to the fishermen there, they pay for those fish to be there
    -if there is a limit (25 fish?) it'd be real easy to go over that with a 50 fathom net (we had some 1200 pound picks in about 35 minutes of soak time)
    -normal white/clearish net is fine
    -if you can set in the THA or AGZ use a beach seine that'd be a super simple way to get 50 fish or so in one set (sampling with ADF&G on a lake we would make 300 fish sets with a 10 fathom seine)

I can't imagine main bay is open to subsistence fishing without a PWS gillnet permit (homepack the comm guys take is considered subsistence), you should probably triple check things with ADF&G.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.