Thread: Considering moving there (help????)

Default Considering moving there (help????)

Hi,
    I'm looking at this property (via web) http://www.remoteproperties.com/yentna/belugalk.html for building a cabin and living year round. Anyone familliar with this area? Yentna-Susitna Drainage Beluga Lake Area. It's between Little Susitna mt and Beluga lake. Issues like : logistics for hauling in material, supplies and equipment. Permafrost and foundations, would expect posts in 4+' hole w/ concrete footer or up to above ground. Real hunting experience in the area, not brochure info.. Feasibility of barging stuff down river near site, could build a small barge and than use it as the lower portion of my cabin. Maybe build the cabin in sections 2' wide and assemble it there. Expect to build 12' x 16' cabin, Should I only expect to build it w/ logs? Bears can get through stick built, have seen it in the adirondacks. Expect to do a lot of smoking and canning, I want a garden, but what about a container garden on a porch? Father away from varmints and can drag em in in winter. Seems it'd be pretty tough to have a horse up there? Raising a few meat rabbits, comment please... Logging my own timber and milling it w/ a chainsaw rather than buying sticks and plywood?
    I'd have to carry the store stuff past the same trees I'd be cutting anyways, seems likely? TV reception in the area? Not a real requirement, I don't have cable or phone down here. Someone wants to talk to me, "knock on my door!" What month would the earliest first trek in be passable? I guess I mean,snows thawed but grow is still hard for initial excesive travel.
    Sorry this spun out so far, considering the logistics first, than life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Thanks in advance

I would suggest living somewhere on the road system for a year or two to see if you really like it up here and if the life suits you.

If you just jump in and try living off the grid you may end up either hating it or becoming another statistic of those who wandered off and were never heard from again.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default Thanks Bilder

Thank you for you reply. Not what I hoped for, but I can understand it. Nobody encourages a "lowlander" without real knowledge of the "lowlander" about doing something you've done all your life because it would kill a normal man, and I can appreciate that you probably don't want to have to stumble over my bones someday. If that happens, I probably won't mind cuz I'll be dead. That in mind, please don't feel critizied. I have my desires, dreams and experiences and I am considering Alaska because it fits my way of life.
    I'm not looking at this lightly and I am considering major obstacles along with the facts of survival and independent life. The final issue that brought me to consider Alaska was this forum. Having read it for several days, I appreciate that there is a remnent of humanity left that speaks once and means it, cares enough to assist their fellow humans, and can speak from experience rather than books or schooling. I have respect for that type of mankind. Basically Alaska fits my attitude and ethics of hardwork and solitude.
    I hope you appreciate my thoughts within their intented context. I also hope others will respond to my thread so I can gain more insight and even if this project doesn't get off the ground, contact with humanity will benefit.

Read this thread all the way through. It will answer many questions, and raise many more you hadn't considered.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=39834

All things are possible with enough time and money. The real question really is do you have enough $ to pull it off. In general, if there isn't a road to the land, supplies have to be either taken in via air, water or snowmachine during the winter. All of those methods are expensive.

The days of going out year after year and shooting a moose for your supply of meat are pretty much gone. No matter where you are in the state, you will be competing against folks in Anchorage, Matsu and Fairbanks that will 4 wheel, boat or fly to everywhere in the state to get their moose, as well as folks coming up from the lower 48 weather guided or not, and a season that is pretty short.

If I was getting a place to live off the land, it would be in SE, where you have a longer growing season for vegis, access to the sea for fish, and pretty decent deer population and a long hunting season.

From the pictures the trees look like black spruce, which means swampy ground and they are unsuitable to use for building materials. Lots and lots of AK has timber that is unsuitable for building materials, and swampy land.

1. Have you ever been to Alaska?
    2. Do you understand the costs associated with moving up here via the items you will need.
    3. Do you understand the shipping costs associated?
    4. Do you have the funds to be able to meet your costs and 50% outside your projected scope?
    5. What have you considered to do if you are unable to meet your goals?

Think about these questions.....

Florida and Alaska are two totally different worlds.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by hermitman View Post
    Thank you for you reply. Not what I hoped for, but I can understand it. Nobody encourages a "lowlander" without real knowledge of the "lowlander" about doing something you've done all your life because it would kill a normal man, and I can appreciate that you probably don't want to have to stumble over my bones someday. If that happens, I probably won't mind cuz I'll be dead. That in mind, please don't feel critizied. I have my desires, dreams and experiences and I am considering Alaska because it fits my way of life.
    I'm not looking at this lightly and I am considering major obstacles along with the facts of survival and independent life. The final issue that brought me to consider Alaska was this forum. Having read it for several days, I appreciate that there is a remnent of humanity left that speaks once and means it, cares enough to assist their fellow humans, and can speak from experience rather than books or schooling. I have respect for that type of mankind. Basically Alaska fits my attitude and ethics of hardwork and solitude.
    I hope you appreciate my thoughts within their intented context. I also hope others will respond to my thread so I can gain more insight and even if this project doesn't get off the ground, contact with humanity will benefit.
    No offense taken and I did not mean to offend.

There are lots of places along the road system that allow you to get away from folks. You can have your solitude, but will have a much lower cost in bringing in supplies and building materials.

The area you mentioned will be expensive to haul in supplies and natural resources for building will be much harder to find than you suspect.

Come on up here, look around, hike the back country a bit and see what the land is like before you commit to a total move. That will give you a better understanding of what it will take and if you can manage/afford it.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Thanks Paul H,
    Sorry this is so long, but I'd rather weed out the neighsayers so I can hear from the real deals. Best advice is where to learn something! Well I did what you said and read it all. What did I learn? Count the costs FIRST! Just exactly what I'm doing. My background is different from Andrew's,whom I hope succeeds. Determination beats hardship. I'm 52, got married young, put MY dreams on hold and raised my family. My 3 kids love me, My 8 grandchildren love me and they agree that it's my turn to do what I want for me. I've been divorced, swindled, lost a house to fire, survived double direct hits from back to back hurricanes, disabled twice on job and lost everything to this current economy. I have a settlement coming from my lawsuit over unpaid 8 months of overtime and I'm going to invest it once in me. Whether it be Alaska or somewhere else is the result not the objective. According to what I want, Alaska fits. The only real obstacle is my rhumatiod arthritis. Cold humid bothers me when I'm outside a lot, but it's just pain and I've been in pain all my life. Won't take pain killers cuz I'm too hard headed. Being held up for long period doesn't bother me because I have my wood carving and book writing and inventing to pass the time. Building a cabin large enough to allow these activities quick enough to provide time to fell, buck, split and stack fire wood, fishing and hunting what's nearby before snow falls is the initial objective. I've developed a modular wall system for the cabin and I'm checking with a helicopter company how much to fly the bundled cabin into the site. Two loads about 2 tons each. Cost is the deciding factor. Everything others have written is valuable, but I've learned most of that from my father up in the adirondacks. We were poor, happy and well fed. What little we owned was ours and the only answer I ever got was "well son, you better get a job". And please don't think I'm comparing Alaska with the Adirondacks, first thing you learn when you move from there is "they're only bumps".
    My first plan would be coming up to Anchorage for a couple weeks with my son, do some scouting with a guide in the area I'm looking at, than make a decision about buying. I believe that I need to have these other concerns nailed down before hand to allow that decision. I also have decided that a small solar room will benefit growing vegies except is it dark in Anchorage during the winter or is that only in the artic???? Greenhouse no good in the dark.
    Other items gleaned from that thread, build the cabin to take advantage of convection air movement, reduce number of windows, and insulation is bulky, perishable during transport (if gotten wet) but surely required. With my modular system, insulation could be installed while building the panels. My connection system does not require access to the wall cavity. Would 8" of insulation and a sealed wall reduce my cordage requirement sufficiently? I think that's R-factor of 28 or so. Having viewed many pictures includuing those of Richard Produegh (sp sorry) I see most cabins are raised on posts. The reason is obvious, but does anybody put a skirt around the crawl space to block out the snow? I'm thinking of having one side on hinges to allow wood storage access and cutting a trap door in the floor to drop down to get wood so I don't have to shovel a path to get wood that's under my house. IF my ideas sound crazy, remember I'm from Chazy. We don't take obstacles as reasons to have failed, just new opportunities for success. Maybe this has been done in Alaska and if so, I'd like to learn about the success or failure of it. I'm not worried about how to support myself after the money runs out because I've never been out of work when I've wanted to work, never been fired, and always taken advantage of for my work ethics. I have protected my reputation and always will do so.
    Again, thank you all for your time and experience. No matter where I end up, I've learned much from you folks and appreciate you all. If I make it, I'll have a party, you'll be invited, but I won't serve no stinking rice. Beef wellington, baked Alaskan potatoes would be more respectful in view of your assistance and my appreciation. Yaeh, this just added to my cost calculations.

IMO - The land that you are looking at is low priced for a reason. Accessability. If you do not own an airplane and a Super wide track Skidoo, it will not be a good choice.

If I were in your shoes I would look at other areas where the initial price of the land will be higher, but the accessability is more workable.

http://www.landinalaska.com/P089/P089.htm

Still float plane in the summer, but better snow machine access in the winter:

http://www.landinalaska.com/E045/E045.htm

Petersville Road, Trapper Creek, Oilwell Road, Kenny Lake, Lake Louise area, and many others offer the lifestyle that you want. Spend more on the land and less on the freight and mode of transportation.

ATV in the summer and snowmachine in the winter. Better for when the family comes to visit also.

Mike

Hermitman,
    Have you tried taking glucosamine/chondroitin for your arthritis. I'm 61 and had trouble with pain in my joints (fingers, wrists, and knees) for years until I began taking 3 tablets a day of the stuff (1.5 morning and same evening). It really does work, I get mine at Costco so that it's not as expensive, also you have to take it for a few weeks before you'll start feeling a change.
    Steve

Thanks Rockdoc,
    Down here the generic is worthless and the real stuff is too expensive while I wait out this lawsuit. Usually I have success with a real hearty chicken stock. I mean I boil the carcass for 12 hours and cook everything out of it but the calcium. Cooling off the stock thickens up before I refrigerate it. My son was sick and asked me to make some oatmeal. I used the chicken stock and by noon he was up and off to work. I told him the next day what it was cuz I knew he couldn't taste the oatmeal (being so sick) and he thanked me for the assistance and vowed never to ask me to make him something when he's sick again. We both won. Just right now I can't afford chicken. Where I'm looking at if I can't raise some chickens (which would probably have to be indoors), wow ! Isuddenly don't want to raise chickens in Alaska. I will be able to afford the condroitin after the lawsuit settles and thanks for confirming it works.

Hermitman just a thought I had pretty much given up my dream of ever living in alaska because of arthritus. I came back and forth a lot never paying any attention then one day I told my wife I didn't remember waking up hurting.
    The next trip it happened to be in the 30 below range for several days and it didn't bother me. The interior is a lot colder temp wise but without the humidity.
    This is just my experiance but I know stay up here for the winters (backwards I know) with no trouble ofcourse it affects dirrerent people different.

On a side note it would be hard for anybody to look at a picture and tell you what you need as far as foundation and cost every piece of land up here can be different and much of it is not suitable to build on. You need to look at it prefferably in the different seasons before you lay down the cash. just my 2cents and it might not be worth that.