Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Central AK FOSSILS

She might have fun, especcially if she has found things in the past...Nothing is "Certain"....

teeth are common finds

She might get "hooked"~~LOL!!~~

And dont leave out the kids, they can do well too....

and someday, you might find a real "Prize"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

OMG! Wow! I'd really like to find some of those.

Going to the book store now haha. Seriously though...

I think you need to share the wealth haha

I'll share Pix, I guess...

I wont bore you with the broken ones.....But I will say that there is still alot of Treasure in The Ocean.

the last pict has a "tooth" that has a Bullet hole through it! ~~LOL!!~~ if only they knew....

Holy cow dude, holy cow!! I really want to find some mammoth molars, though probably harder then finding a huge tusk sticking out of the tundra.

One of the tusk are at a beach... thats crazy. I'm guessing an area where they crossed from Siberia.

Makes me want to take a trip to the Northwest Ak instead of just my road trip to the interior.

Man, Anchorage sucks lol

How close do the little tusk shards look to petrified wood?
    I'm sure thats the most I'll find with my luck lol.

They look alot like petrafyied wood, but with no Knots.

We look in the ocean near the shore in the extraem low tides by cruzing over big muddy slew offs that the surf sorts out.

You can find them in lakes with your feet when the water is low, near muddy banks, you can really smell them.
    I have found them mining and prospecting as well.

walk walk walk....find some small stuff, follow the "flow" and look for the big chunks...or find bones and keep checking after every break up or after big storms.....the mud keeps melting and its a longer season each year.

Never know what your gonna get.

If you come up , bring 2 20 horse Honda Fourstrokes,extra props and lube oils and Lots and Lots of gas....I'll let you follow me...and live the Mammoth Hunters life~~~LOL!!~~~and you can keep 1/2 of what we find. ;D

That would be awesome. I can't wait for my road trip.
    May go out to Jonesville mine and see what we can recover in plant fossils...

I wonder how far South (w/in) Alaska the Mammoth roamed. Surely not all the way to Anchorage/Kenai area...

I believe there is some Jurassic sediments near Anchorage, wonder if I could find Megaladon Teeth??

Check out Natures Jewels off of Arctic in Anchorage and the Chugach Gem and Mineral Society. Both have first hand knowledge of Alaska fossils. CGMS has trips throughout the summer where they have a leader who knows the area. If you go you will find something.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Snow, this is going to sound "hooky" but go to the Anchorage History Museum in Mt View. It sounds dumb... but here is why. You can actually touch the fossils there.

Notice that the fossils for mammoth is smooth.. not gritty. You can try to use a finger nail and it won't budge.

The same goes for the teeth.

Also, you can feel with the other fossils feel like. They do not feel like the normal slit, bedrock, limestone... but are relatively smooth... though some have different textures. If you run into fossilized wood... it will feel like plastic and is ten times heavier then the average rock. If you have water and think it is wood... pour over the "rock" and see if you can see any circles, as it will be the core. Right now, amber on petrified trees are going for quite a bit. If you can show that the amber is from a petrified tree... you will get more for it.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I'll have to check that museum out, it would be nice to get my hands on them to better familiarize myself with them.

We ended up going out to Jonesville mine last saturday. There is coal all over the place, petrified wood and leaf fossils all over the ground.

I ended up finding a small piece of amber after searching for a few hours lol.
    Its so clear but does not have any bugs unfortunately. Its only the size of my thumbnail too.

Default Eagle River Fossils?

Hi,

I saw your post from last year and was excited to learn that there might be Eagle River area fossils (since I live here) - do you know where I would start to try to find them?

Thanks!

Supporting Member

wow. that would have taken a long time digging ,but looks worth it .

There are quite a few fossil beds around Homer. Here are some I found with my kids last week near Seldovia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12