Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: South Central AK FOSSILS

  1. #1

    Default South Central AK FOSSILS

    I'm trying to get my g/f more interested in fossil hounding. She hates looking for them until we find them. So far I've only had luck out in Homer on Bishop's beach area, found tons of leaf & twig fossils.

    I will be taking a road trip all the way up to Brooks Range this summer and I'll be stopping in a few areas that I know there is fossils... hopefully Mammoth...

    So if you know any real good areas weekend driving distance from Anchorage area please share your info!!

    PLACES I'M AWARE OF...
    Eagle, AK (North of river, miles up stream.... Cambrian Trilobites)
    Homer Beach (Coal, Amber & Twigs)
    Coal Creek (coal & AMBER)
    Kenai Beach (leafs/twigs)
    Eagle River, Ak off the highway following the river to the inlet (Ammonites)
    RAINBOW MOUNTAIN (haven't been here, but marine fossils... fish, coral, etc)

  2. #2
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Get the Amateurs Guide to Fossils in Alaska. You won't go wrong.

    Over by Sutton, there is a coal mine and in that area you can find some fossils. Glennallen is another place you can find partial fossil mammoth (small bits) and petrified wood of varying types.

    http://www.alaskafossil.org/


    Interesting site, and if you want to know more the USGS over on the APU campus in Anchorage has some good fossil books.

    http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php...te&name=Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmans300zxTT View Post
    I'm trying to get my g/f more interested in fossil hounding. She hates looking for them until we find them. So far I've only had luck out in Homer on Bishop's beach area, found tons of leaf & twig fossils.

    I will be taking a road trip all the way up to Brooks Range this summer and I'll be stopping in a few areas that I know there is fossils... hopefully Mammoth...

    So if you know any real good areas weekend driving distance from Anchorage area please share your info!!

    PLACES I'M AWARE OF...
    Eagle, AK (North of river, miles up stream.... Cambrian Trilobites)
    Homer Beach (Coal, Amber & Twigs)
    Coal Creek (coal & AMBER)
    Kenai Beach (leafs/twigs)
    Eagle River, Ak off the highway following the river to the inlet (Ammonites)
    RAINBOW MOUNTAIN (haven't been here, but marine fossils... fish, coral, etc)
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  3. #3
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Opps forget to name places:

    Talkeetna, small fossils of muscles in riverbed rock.
    Fairbanks/Northpole, coral, worm, veggie material, and fossilize ivory between Fairbanks and Fox. Becareful as you do not want to go on private land.
    Anaktuvuk pass, mammoth ivory, inverabrates of all sizes depending. Look for silty area with a clay underbody. Be careful of native land!!!!!
    That is what I can remember at this moment.


    Also you can go into ANWR for fossil hunting. You will have to get a permit to dig (if you are lucky) but it has some great fossils in it, including sometimes Duckbilled Dinosaurs.. and others I won't mention.

    http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/cul...ollecting.html

    http://www.nps.gov/akso/ParkWise/Stu...ilsinAKNPS.htm

    This link it awesome as it tells you the National Parks and what types they have. If you are lucky, in some areas you can find a couple gold nuggets if you pan and if you are really lucky you can find deposits of precious stone imbedded in creek slopes. Always look for quartz as gold is not far away.

    Have fun. :)
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  4. #4

    Default

    Nice! I'll have to check out some of those places.

    I'd also like to find some precious stones as well... I've heard rumor of emeralds being found in Ak.

    I know small diamonds have been found in a creek by miners, and there is a lake that is suspected of being an old kimberlite pipe that a big mining company is looking into.

    I'm sure garnets are all over the place, but those aren't too fun.

    I'm not too into finding gold because I just suck at it lol. I could pan all day and not find any. Although I was stupid and panning only surface gravel. Whoops...

    I would really like to find some mammoth, though I don't know how south they went. Glenallen is the furthest south I've heard and thats from someone on here that just mentioned it.

    Wish we had more diverse rocks like some other states... ruby, saphire, aquamarine...etc.

    Thanks for sharing so far!!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Did you say "mammoth Tusks???




    they are out there.....

    look fo rthe "stinky" muds and what looks like pices of wood, with no "branches' or nubs of them......broken peices have crosshatching from a side view.....and the insides look like stacked coffee cups.

    Good luck!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Did you say "mammoth Tusks???




    they are out there.....

    look fo rthe "stinky" muds and what looks like pices of wood, with no "branches' or nubs of them......broken peices have crosshatching from a side view.....and the insides look like stacked coffee cups.

    Good luck!!
    OMG!! Where did you find that!!!!? lol
    I want to find one of those = 0

  7. #7

    Default

    Guess I better by some boots built for mud!

  8. #8
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Stranger, mammoth is fun to find. I usually find shards though. Lucky find there :) but I am more interesting in the inverta-fossils right now. And submit them to UAF for the paleo dept. The students there have no clue what is up here.

    Snow, if you want to look for "gems" you will need a permit in many cases. You will also have to dig.... which will take another permit. Garnets are on the South east area mostly and it is harvested by the Natives in that region.

    Emeralds, I have heard but you can't drive to them. You have to fly in and they are in the King Salmon area. Have to dig though. Also, if you decide to go to ANWR for a paleo fossil... you can't keep them. Dinosaur fossils are protected... but that doesn't mean you can't get a permit and dig for them. It is quite a bit of fun... but God help you if you try to keep them. Jade is also all over the Nome area... on surface, and is the only "mineral" you do not have to dig for. Wet the rock on the outside and look for a dark green sheen. If you think that it is a peice of jade, you will have to get it to a mineralologist for testing to confirm.

    Happy Hunting!

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Did you say "mammoth Tusks???




    they are out there.....

    look fo rthe "stinky" muds and what looks like pices of wood, with no "branches' or nubs of them......broken peices have crosshatching from a side view.....and the insides look like stacked coffee cups.

    Good luck!!
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  9. #9

    Default

    Yea, I know the laws up here are pretty strict for whatever reason...

    I'm not too into finding Dino fossils, although it would be cool, I wouldn't go out actively looking for them.

    Now mammoth is what I'm interested in, anything from the ice age really.

    I can't wait for my road trip, I plan on stopping in Delta Junction area because I heard there is alot of mammoth pieces up there. Will be staying in Fairbanks area for a few days and may try to make it up near Brook's Range just depends on what I find in the other places that may have me stuck there a lil longer then expected.

    I don't know if I agree with the Vert. Fossil laws, although I do agree with the Native relic fossils ONLY because there is alot more info science can learn on early american migration.

    Its just really going to suck if we spend the money on this road trip and don't find any mammoth pieces lol. This is my last ditch effort to get her interested... after this I'm S.O.L.
    Maybe I'll ebay a mammoth tooth so she can find it LOLOL.

  10. #10
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Can I be honest? If she doesn't like it now, she isn't really going to get into it.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  11. #11

    Default

    Well she likes it when we are actually finding stuff... she just doesn't like it when we aren't lol. Or when she doesn't understand what we are looking for.

    Down in Homer the most fun we had was finding the fossils lol. She actually liked it, but those were pretty easy to find for her.

  12. #12
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Take her with you to a cook store on finding fossils in Alaska type books. She what she does. If she doesn't look interested.... you have your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmans300zxTT View Post
    Well she likes it when we are actually finding stuff... she just doesn't like it when we aren't lol. Or when she doesn't understand what we are looking for.

    Down in Homer the most fun we had was finding the fossils lol. She actually liked it, but those were pretty easy to find for her.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  13. #13

    Default

    I actually haven't seen any books on Alaska fossil hunting... I've checked all over Barnes & Nobles.

    Best thing I found was Roadside Geology; Alaska. And it only states a few places, the same places I submitted earlier in the thread.

  14. #14
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    If you ever get to Anchorage, go to Titlewave book store and look in the Geology area. they have all sorts of used and new books. If they do not have the Ameteurs Guide to Alaska Fossils, you can order it and have it sent to your house.

    But trust me. If she isn't interested in it... don't push her. Some people aren't they type to play in rocks, fossils, minerals and such.

    Also go to the USGS office, they have some books there in their new building.... which is already too small for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmans300zxTT View Post
    I actually haven't seen any books on Alaska fossil hunting... I've checked all over Barnes & Nobles.

    Best thing I found was Roadside Geology; Alaska. And it only states a few places, the same places I submitted earlier in the thread.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  15. #15

    Default

    I'll go check that place out tomorrow, hopefully they will have it.
    Does it include locations in the book?

    Yea I won't push her if this attempt don't work, but I think if we find something worthwhile she'll be hooked. If not, then I'll give it up lol.

  16. #16
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    They point you in the right direction to look, but they won't give you spot on directions.

    Geo's, Paleo's and Mineral/Rock hounds are about the same. They will tell you an area, but they won't give up their secrets totally.

    I know of a place on the other side of Homer they call Fossil Beach or Bluff. But no one will give me exact locations.... so think of it as a easter egg hunt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmans300zxTT View Post
    I'll go check that place out tomorrow, hopefully they will have it.
    Does it include locations in the book?

    Yea I won't push her if this attempt don't work, but I think if we find something worthwhile she'll be hooked. If not, then I'll give it up lol.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  17. #17
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default laws?

    What are the "Vert Fossil laws" ?

  18. #18
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default did you mean "fossil point"?

    that is over by chisik island (across the inlet near snug harbor), it is on the map. plane or boat access.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  19. #19
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Fossils that are not invertebrates. Any types of Dinosaurs. You have to have a special permit via BLM.

    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    What are the "Vert Fossil laws" ?
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

  20. #20
    Member upinak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Yeah, I know of the beach.. but can't find anyone to show me the area via boat. One day I will get there. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    that is over by chisik island (across the inlet near snug harbor), it is on the map. plane or boat access.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •