Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gun or spray on the russain

Default gun or spray on the russain

I was sent here to get a better answer on this topic.I seen pics and all but what do you use ...and why?

Default Glad to hear from you...

Cabin,

Glad to see you here in the flyfishing forum man

Long time, no talk to.

Not yet hiked/fished the Russian myself, but will this Sept.

I am eager to hear the responses folks that have been there offer.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well....those bears are pretty humanized in my opinion. If thats a word. My buddies pack a 45, but that gets heavy and is pretty bulky. Unless you have an S&W Airlight or similar. I would say bring bear spray, unless you've heard of a bear with cubs being in the area, then I would definently want a sidearm. Of course when I was down there this past fall, I had a blackie come out of the boardwalk from behind me and my buddies who were packin were downstream about 200 yards, pretty scary!

Fish ON!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I would definitely bring a sidearm, I pack around a S&W .44 mag. You just never know when a big sow will come out of know where pissed off for you being in "their area" and I don't trust my life with a can of bear spray...

Default Gun

I carry a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. I feel more comfortable with a gun than I do the spray. If there is a wind it is possible that I will end up spraying myself in the process. I think both will serve you better though than those that bring nothing. If you do pack a pistol make sure you are using the right kind of ammo. You dont want anything that is going to expand. Penetration is your best friend.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I fished the Russian last late Summer early fall and had a rather large Brown come down the hill right behind me, maybe 25 feet away. Suprised us both, not to mention my 11 and 12 year old kids and wife. The bears there seem to be conditioned to deal with people, I had pistol, wife had spray. If you are fishing during the peak where people are everywhere, I would go with spray. Later in the year when you might be alone as we were, a big gun would make me more comfortable, if I could not carry both. I can tell you a .45 looks way too small when you are looking down the sights at a bear that weighs 400 to 600 lbs.

Unless you are very comfortable with a large caliber pistol and practice with it regularly, go with the spray. The spray has an excellent success rate and I would feel comfortable using it, but I carry a 45.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Accuracy

A quick note on the sidearm. If you're going to carry, be sure you are proficient with using it, especially under stress. When that bear shows up unexpectadly either on the trail or on the river bank, some things you have to consider are this: If you have to actually use the gun, it's probably because the bear is threatening or charging at you. You will more than likely experience an adrenalin dump which will make it difficult to keep a steady bead and smooth trigger pull when you need it. Weapon familiarity is a must, if you carry a double action, then there isn't much to remember except pulling the trigger and hitting your target. If it's a single action, you will have to remember to pull the hammer, then pull the trigger. It sounds simple enough, but when you're under stress and seconds matter, that is not the time to be fumbling around with your security. If you're being charged on the stream bank, it's important to watch your background. There could be other people around and taking a couple of rushed shots at the bear and missing the mark could be disasterous. One thing I like to do when practicing at the range is to do a couple of short sprints and some pushups, then pick up the pistol and shoot at the target from 15 yards. It is much harder to hit center mast when you're fatigued. It's great practice. Bear spray can be a better option if you don't shoot much, but again, it's important that you know how to use it and to make sure that it works. Those cans are pressurized, but if they're old, they may lose their pressure like a fire extinguisher. When you need to use it is not the time to discover that it's defective. Just some things to consider. Good fishing to you.

I just fish with someone who is much slower than I am If he does try to run past me kick them in the knee cap and all is good
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

LOL !!!
    My boyfriend always says thats the only reason he takes me fishing!
    hahahaha
    too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I just fish with someone who is much slower than I am If he does try to run past me kick them in the knee cap and all is good
    Bring a bottle of honey to squirt on your "friend", everyone who's seen Pooh knows bears LOVE honey!!!

Carry Nothing and respect the bears space
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Carry Nothing and respect the bears space

Yeah....That's what THIS guy said also...

The bear had the final word on THAT plan....And the word was a resounding "BELCH!".......

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Carry Nothing? Hmmm.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if could avoid the bears space as you said. But, that would mean staying in the house...Alaska is bear space.

You can carry nothing if you like. I prefer to carry my 45. Why? because I'll never know when I've peed off a bear and he has decided it's time for me to be his rag doll.

I say avoid them by being alert and respect the animal. However, if your going to play in AK, you've gotta be prepared for the unexpected. If I die by a blow from Yoggie's paw, I'd like my wife and kids to know I didn't venture out in untamed Alaska with nothing more than my clipped fingernails.

I ALWAYS respect a bears space....It's when they don't respect mine that we have "issues".....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I ALWAYS respect a bears space....It's when they don't respect mine that we have "issues".....
    I carry a .44 Mag for the very reason above. Especially on the Russian. Bears have learned that they can use aggressive/bully tactics to get food from people. I pulled mine last October and backed out slowly. The bear followed me all the way from the confluence back to the stairs for the grayling parking lot.

I hear ya there Alaska Hippie...I'll give any bear his space...he just needs to let me back up a few steps. I can always catch another fish.

Default I carry both

if he comes through the fog...well then more drastic. To steal another's quote, they are "humanized" to the point that they may step out on the trail expecting you to drop the fish and back off. They take and scoot. That is a muggin 'laskan style

I would rather be crying and mauled with a smoking barrel then just crying and mauled.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post

I would rather be crying and mauled with a smoking barrel then just crying and mauled.

I hear you man.

If I should ever be so unlucky to make it on the evening news, they will show a dead bear beside my body.

I am going out in a blaze of glory

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast