Thread: Anyone got any 338 Fed loads?

Default Anyone got any 338 Fed loads?

just picked up a Ruger Hawkeye in 338 Fed and want to know if you guys have any loads. Mainly want to try the 185 & 210gr Barnes and the Partitions but will try all.

Let's see what you have.

Thanks-Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Tim, I have'nt loaded any yet, but, hodgdon and nosler lists loads. www.datahodgdon.com and www.nosler.com

Also, from Guns&Ammo.

Barnes TSX 210 gr.
    winchester 748...47 gr. for 2500 fps (fed 210M primer& resized .308 case)

Nosler Partition 210 gr.
    reloader 15....... 46 gr. for 2520 fps (fed 210m with new .338 fed case)

Swift A-Frame 225 gr.
    varget .......44 gr. for 2400 fps (win LR primer with new .338 fed case)

These loads were fired out of a Kimber 84m (22" bbl)

Remember these are not starting loads. Start at 10% (4 to 5 grains) lower.

Gee, I could help you with the .358, but you got a new copy, the .338 Federal Redundancy Express! Sorry, new rounds are always welcome . . . the Speer manual is full of .338 Fed loads. Just remember, the .358 Winchester has already been there, despite the "ballistic coeficient" nonsense : A 250 yard round is the same, regardless of its name! Ya know, I almost bought one, but I remembered I had a .358! --- OPH

Off topic here but I have several (about 10 boxes) of once fired brass for a 338. Not into reloading but would sell the brass, most of it is the Federal Premium Safaris brass.

Not sure what it is worth but accepting offers with the sales commission to go to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Puma Hunter View Post
    Gee, I could help you with the .358, but you got a new copy, the .338 Federal Redundancy Express! Sorry, new rounds are always welcome . . . the Speer manual is full of .338 Fed loads. Just remember, the .358 Winchester has already been there, despite the "ballistic coeficient" nonsense : A 250 yard round is the same, regardless of its name! Ya know, I almost bought one, but I remembered I had a .358! --- OPH
    Thanks for your input.

Just in case you didnt know this but the 338-08 (which is what the 338 Federal is now) has been around for many,many years. I agree with the 358,I have one of those too. Actually I now have every factory chambering that has come from the wonderful little 308 cartridge.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Good taste! I must admit I really like the idea, and always have, of the .338-08. I too love the wonderful .308 family. So, yep, I'll add a .338 (to give my .358 a rest) just for fun.----- Now, if I could just make the .260 perform in a short barrel . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Puma Hunter View Post

The 358 winchester has been my go to rifle for a while now. But the 358 can't be loaded with the extremely precise, long range 180-185gr. bullets like the 338 Fedral. It's also loaded to a much higher pressure than the 358 winchester. With that said......the 338 Federal is what I believe to be the ultimate mountian rifle for Alaska. Availible in 5-6 pound rifles, it allows you the long range bullets for Dall sheep and Goats........then you can load 225 grain bullets for bear protection on the descent. The 358 will always be my go to gun though.

Talking

Actual the 358 can be loaded to the same pressures as the 338federal if its in the same model gun. Seen one article on that and its very zippy. It was either RIFLE or RELOADING magazine.

Not ganna do it untill there is +pressure data for it even though I have it in a 700 short action. Same case, same gun, same pressures. The 200gr was like +2700fps and the 225gr +2600 just 70fps under some listed whelen ammo. The 358win at the starting gate was underloaded for what its case can handle just for the winchester semi-automatic and lever gun.

Default .338 Federal loads

I have a .338 Federal in Kimber 84 Montana.
    My loads which have proved very accurate:

1. RL15 46gr, Fed 210 primer, Speer Hot Cor 200 gr, COL 2.820", 1.75" at 200 yards

2. RL15 46gr, Fed 210 primer, BArnes TSX 185gr, COL 2.820", 2" at 200 yards.