Thread: new to bow hunting

Default new to bow hunting

Hello, I just picked up a used Martin Firehawk bow today and wonndering what if anything I should do first. I have no experience with bows, just thought it seemed like a good deal and I have always had an interest in shooting a bow. Do I need to have the pull adjusted to my size or any thing like that? Thanks for the help.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

first thing you should do is take it to a shop and have it adjusted to YOUR draw leangth... and have the knock ( if has one) adjusted as well any peeps or other..( i am guessing this is compound) have the string looked over and get some instruction on how it works and DOES AND DON"T on shooting abow... LIKE NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER dry fire you bow..( with out an arrow). in short get you and it a health check... and start spending some $$$$ you will also need arrows cut to your draw..have fun it is addicting and great exercise.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I see from your addy that you are from the Soldatna area. Do a Search on this forum for AKNimrod...he lives in your neck of the woods. Best bow *teacher* I ever had. Does not matter if you shoot a compound, recurve, or long Bow, I bet Pat can help you down the right road!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

thanx Roger STUDENTS SHOULD NOT OUT SHOOT THEIR " TEACHER"
    AKFF DROP YOUR PHONE# IN A PM, I'M ON THE SLOPE BUT SCHEDULED HOME TOMORROW ( REDOUBT WILLING)
    DON'T THINK I'M AS GOOD AS ROGER MAKES IT SEEM BUT WE COULD GET TOGETHER AND WORK ON SOME THINGS.
    PAT
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default From one newbie to another

I just started in January... here are some things that really helped me along the way:

1. Join Kenai Peninsula Archer's Club! It will be the best $10 you'll ever spend!

2. Every Saturday morning from 10:00-12:00 at the First Baptist Church in Kenai's Gym the KPAC has open shooting and this time is dedicated to offering free lessons and help with tuning. Charlie and Len are both very patient, knowledeable and skilled. In a mere 4 sessions, I was shooting a 1.5" group at 17 yards! By the way, this is open to anyone, you don't have to be a member, however it is great to support the group. The outdoor range is another benefit of membership!

3. Don't rush into accessories or equipment. There are so many variables and alternatives... you can get lost in the catalogue! Look at other bows, ask others what works for them, try some out if possible. Buying arrows is a science all in itself. Len and Charlie can help you out on this one.

Finally, once you get set up, shoot and shoot some more and then shoot again. There is always something to improve on.

(By the way, do I know you?)

Cheers,

Ed French

Thanks for the replys. AkNIMRD PM sent. I will try and get in touch with peninsula archery and get the bow adjusted. Ed do you go to the kenai church every Saturday?
    Thanks again

Default Kenai Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    Thanks for the replys. AkNIMRD PM sent. I will try and get in touch with peninsula archery and get the bow adjusted. Ed do you go to the kenai church every Saturday?
    Thanks again
    I try to as much as possible.

Ed

Hello, I just picked up a used Martin Firehawk bow today
    First things first, did you pick up a bare bow or one with everyting on it? i.e. sights, peep, arrow rest, stab...etc.

The bow has everything on it.The only thing I need to get is a release. I am going to the shop tommorow to see if I can get one.

The bow has everything on it.The only thing I need to get is a release. I am going to the shop tommorow to see if I can get one.
    Then +1 on what has been said already. Go to your local archery shop and get it all adjusted and set up for you to shoot. Get ready to spend an hour or two, it takes a bit to get it all tuned in. Like vince said, get your draw length adjusted first, then worry about the poundage, if its too hard to pull have them turn it down and then work your way back up. I bought a new bow last year and had to turn it down to 60, then i worked up to 65, now its back to 71.

Default keani archery shoot

were is the baptist church at and is that were you can shoot on saturday i know the area but direction would be good and times and a phone# any info on the range and distance they have to shoot.
    thanks

Default Kenai Range

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    were is the baptist church at and is that were you can shoot on saturday i know the area but direction would be good and times and a phone# any info on the range and distance they have to shoot.
    thanks
    Hey Skipper,

Welcome to the board. The Kenai Baptist Church is about a mile past Forest Drive toward Nikiski, it will be on the left. The gym is behind the main church building. I don't know a phone number, but feel free to show up unannounced, the president of the Kenai Peninsula Archers is typically on site (Len). He can tell you about the club shoots and the outdoor range.

Presently, we are shooting at 17 yards. The outdoor range has a variety and they just purchased a bunch of 3D targets.

Anyhow, instruction time is from 10:00-12:00 and open shoot until 3:00. On Friday nights there is a club shoot that is often very entertaining. Talk to Len about that. They also have monthly classes on a variety of topics.

Hope that helps,

Ed French

Default thanks

ed thanks for the info
    cheer
    Richard